The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ogion

Poppies indoors with no lights

G'Day, Please tell me if it is possible to grow Poppies (P.somniferum), indoors with no lights at about this time of the year ? Maybe with little Jiffys to start them off in the fridge for 10 or so days and then in pots.....indoors during the night and outside during the day. Has anybody tried this ? Cheers.

your going to move them in and out evry day? thats dedicated

umm i think it should b ok if u get the light cycle right

u betetr check with someone else tho

Where abouts are you located?

You really don't need to start them off in the fridge (common myth), just keep the seeds moist(ish) until they germinate. And you can permanently keep em outside if ya like no worries with similar if not better success........

i thought they only grew in winter... at least in sydney region!

oh good i got a whole bunch i wanna grow

I live in Adelaide atm. So thats a myth eh......interesting. So if I do try to grow them now they will probably work eh ? Hmmmm. Will they actually flower or just grow a tad and then lay dormant ?

yea i live in adelaide too, and i'm able to get em growing around here all year round without fail!!

Sure a winter crop will produce a slightly better outcome, but it's nothing to complain about, beautiful flowers and i sure do love baking bread

all year round down here huh. nice. would the pods be smaller this time of the year because its not the ideal time ? either way as long as i get some colour in the garden ay. thankyou very much for the valuable information. cheers.

i thought poppies didnt grow till summer? i remember reading something about them needing a long light cycle to flower

Poppies are a winter crop. Trust me. My parents grew up in the middle of the notorious persian opium culture, and when I told them theres a place that sells proper persian poppy seeds, my mother was quite excited, as she hasn't seen the flowers since she was a little girl.

mabey you could enlighten me as to where these 'proper' persian seeds?

this is just a wild stab in the dark... persia?

:)

seriously tho, persia export poppie seeds but these are for cakes, bread and muffins only... nto for germination.

my g/fs bday was on saturday and her mum made a REALLY good orange and poppie seed cake! and made an orange syrup to pour all over it too

damn it was good... is it just me or does anyone else really love poping the seeds between their teeth?

English translation: where can i get viable high potency persian seeds? :)

Anyone tried germinating(in a legal country of course) the seeds you can buy in the super market? My guess was that they would be tassie variety because of the medical crops and selling their extra seed to herb companies would make a little extra $. Reading the back of master foods poppy seed jar say something like' these seeds are from a variety of poppy native to asia and the middle east'. Sounds like our friend to me.

this ahs been covered before... but ill go over it again

yes super market poppies grow

BUT "product of australia"... then they are a different strain to the regular opium poppie and produce a different mix of alkaloids which are not opium but easy for phamarceuticals to be made (i cant remember the details but UTFSE)

"product of persia" or turkey or asia or woteva

then presume the more traditional type of poppie

i think SAB sell seeds for cooking with tho from persia?

they are sposed to be tasty in bread

Sorry to keep going over old ground smogs. :(

Had a look at the super market again today, the master foods description was

'same variety of poppie that is native to asia but also grown in australia' imported product, dont think it mentioned the country of origin, but may be mistaken

Other brand was product of australia. i believe the tassie poppy was bred from a bunch of normal poppies, but the tassie one had a recessive gene and that caused it produce a chemical more suitable for codine production. i could be totally wrong, but thats how i remember it :rolleyes:

Im mostly after turkish commercial, shorter flowering time i think? This of course leads to better tasting muffins, which is what im interested in. :P

Just buy them from SAB. It's only $4 and you can stop posting questions with obvious answers over and over!

This has been covered before and if my memory serves correct then Masterfoods use Tassies and yes they are P.som.

Many apologies people for going over the same ground over and over. :o

I was interested in ordering from sab, but low order fees and postage costs out weighed the price of the seed. Also the variety wasnt listed. No matter now but, a kind member i have had several very positive dealings with helped me out once again, many thanks(you know who you are) :D

Don't worry mate 4 bucks is 4 bucks...if I had 4 bucks extra a week then I'd just have more plants and still be broke