The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ethno3

Removing and cutting down acacias

Just a quick question for you guy's.

I was looking on another Internet forum and there was some talk about removing\cutting down acacia's within Australia.

A few people were saying that it is better to remove a whole tree that just take some bark.

Would this realy be a better thing to do?

Thanks Ethno3

I think the better thing to do is to grow your own from seed, have the patience to let it get to a good size and then chop it down. It doesn't quite answer your question, but you also have to ask the question how do you feel ethically chopping down trees from their native habitat for your own tryptamine needs. I personally couldn't do it. As such, I personally have a long time to wait before anything I've planted is ready to harvest... cest la vie.

I have a friend who once went out on an acacia mission, found the tree he wanted, chopped it down and felt terribly guilty for a long time afterwards. Just something to think about.

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Removing just some bark often kills the whole tree, so in addition to the impact of unsightly dead tree(s) drawing unwelcome attention, the practice is stupidly and obscenely wasteful.

Even the phyllodes(leaves) can be used so as not to waste valuable material.

Edited by Mycot

Thanks for the reply guys.

I don't see the need to kill a whole tree, I agree grow your own.

Ethno 3

depending where you are mate you may find that where houses are being built there are trees being ripped out.

also there may be roadside clearing programs in your area and this would also be a good place to collect as the trees are likely to be buggered by chainsaws or whatever...

if neither of the above happen where you live then growing em is gonna be your best option.

I have NO respect for peeps going and ripping from national parks etc... that is shit. national parks are there for a reason... probably thought about beyond our little minds and worth noting....

peace

I was looking on another Internet forum and there was some talk about removing\cutting down acacia's within Australia.

If the tree is in its native habitat, and particularly a national park, then cutting it down or ripping the bark off is not going to be a good thing. If everyone did it, we'd have none left I guess. If you cut off an entire limb, then it would probably survive and grow a new one? I don't condone that though, probably best to grow your own like the others suggested.

Funny that in WA we have a number of introduced Acacia species from the east and they are effectively weeds. My parents have a decent sized block in the Perth hills and its starting to be overrun with some that have blown-in from the neighboring property over the years. Its a partially cleared block though, and they tend to grow where nothing else is.

Just a quick question for you guy's.

A few people were saying that it is better to remove a whole tree that just take some bark.

Would this realy be a better thing to do?

Thanks Ethno3

Why do you need to cut down or remove acacias anyways...?

Are you building a road... :unsure:

• Like 4

^^ :lol:

I would suggest you never touch any tree if if you planted in your own yard, unless your a professional even removing a limb on your own property can cause you great legal problems. If you require a tree to be removed from your yard call a professional Qualified Arborist and just ask them to cut and leave, wont cost much because they dont have to chip it and you at least are not breaking the law.

I remember once I nicked a bud off a mate of mine so I would have some to smoke the next day. When I got around to smoking it rather than feeling relaxed and giggly I felt extremely guilty and depressed.

Just think what a similar experince on an extract of that particular tree would make you feel. When you are psychicly vulnerable in that state, guilt and depression would perhaps characterize the experience.

You could be visited by the ghost of christmas past

Thanks for the reply guys.

I don't see the need to kill a whole tree, I agree grow your own.

Ethno 3

Rather than killing a whole tree, for smaller personal amounts, one option is to prune some branches or utilize phyllodes.