The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
drgibbon

Mycology Lab Supplies

Hi all, first (proper) post here. I'm starting out in the world of mycology with white oysters on BRF cakes from prints (and potentially shiitakes as well). I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to get cheap lab supplies for basic things like scalpels, glass stirring rods, inoc loops, etc?

Hi all, first (proper) post here. I'm starting out in the world of mycology with white oysters on BRF cakes from prints (and potentially shiitakes as well). I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to get cheap lab supplies for basic things like scalpels, glass stirring rods, inoc loops, etc?

McNeil Surgical on 227 Magill Rd, Maylands SA 5067 sells scalpels, gloves, facemasks, pretty sure they also sell 10 and 20cc syringes for liquid culture work.

I went in there looking for filter paper, injection ports and petri dishes so I can tell you they don't stock those :P

Keep us updated on your quest, i'd love to find a handy place I could just pop into and buy a whole lot of random lab stuff.

edit: Here's a good hint. Be upfront and honest about what you want to use these things for. I've convinved a chemist who didn't want to sell me some 3cc syringes with needles to sell me some by telling him I needed it to 'innoculate a substrate'.

Edited by Distracted

G'day drgibbon. This seller is in Victoria but sends stuff through Australia post. He hasn't got a lot of variety but there might be something there you need. Have fun.

http://aussimushroomsupplies.com/

G'day drgibbon. This seller is in Victoria but sends stuff through Australia post. He hasn't got a lot of variety but there might be something there you need. Have fun.

http://aussimushroomsupplies.com/

He's closing down soon.

Does anyone know if he still has any stock ?

None of his stock levels are listed like they used to be.

I try to make as much as i can, inoculation loops from nichrome wire from an old electric element & a bit of 1/4" aluminium wire for handles,

magnetic stirrers from computer fans & neodymium magnets,

spirit lamp from medicine bottle + metal sauce bottle top and cotton,

grain jars are my bosses good jam jars with a hole drilled in the lid and a ciggy filter fitted in the hole. Necessity is the mother of invention.

use www.livingstone.com for a lot of bits n pieces like glass ware, syringes, scalpels & blades etc. They are ok on price for smallish quantities but be warned they can take ages to send all of an order, my last order got split into 5 deliveries (no extra cost to me) and took a month from start to finish.

Tripsis uses small polypropylene food containers as plates, realy cheap. if i can find the link for the supplier i'll post it

And dont dick around buying soda glass, get borosilicate glass, you'll have far fewer breakages. just my 2c worth

He's closing down soon.

Yes, unfortunately he is closing down but according to his web site he still has stock. I was there about 3 weeks ago and got i wanted.

McNeil Surgical on 227 Magill Rd, Maylands SA 5067 sells scalpels, gloves, facemasks, pretty sure they also sell 10 and 20cc syringes for liquid culture work.

I went in there looking for filter paper, injection ports and petri dishes so I can tell you they don't stock those :P

Keep us updated on your quest, i'd love to find a handy place I could just pop into and buy a whole lot of random lab stuff.

edit: Here's a good hint. Be upfront and honest about what you want to use these things for. I've convinved a chemist who didn't want to sell me some 3cc syringes with needles to sell me some by telling him I needed it to 'innoculate a substrate'.

are you serious about the last quote? are chemists really refusing to sell needles to people re-fucking-gardless of what they are using them for? Hello blood borne diseases?

report the chemist bruvva - you got rights too you know, whether you were going there for myc' supplies or not.. make an annoymous complaint!

peace

He's closing down soon.

I ordered some supplies just recently and they all came through. He's still updating the site, some new things have appeared in the last week or so, others have gone out of stock. I think it's accurate.

are you serious about the last quote? are chemists really refusing to sell needles to people re-fucking-gardless of what they are using them for? Hello blood borne diseases?

report the chemist bruvva - you got rights too you know, whether you were going there for myc' supplies or not.. make an annoymous complaint!

peace

they would've sold me the much more expensive shooting up needle/syringe no problems, but they were hesitant about selling the bigger syringes with needles. I've come accross a few places that will sell the syringe but not the needle :(

Stock feed stores sell the larger syringes and needles without questions, look into what guage needle you want first though. If you don't know what guage needle to get they could ask "what's it for ?"

Intramuscular Vitamin b into a horse is good if they put you on the spot.

They aren't normally the locking (luer lock) needle type though.