The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
san p

periskiopsis from seed?

im yet to find any periskiopsis availible in nz, so was wondering if anyone has any experience growing them from seed?

id love to get a hold of some seeds if anyone here has access to some.

cheers

san p

It's very rare that they produce any flower, I suppose that's because most growers use them for grafting and cut them before they mature enough for reproduction.

I haven't seen one flower to date, but im sure with careful monitoring you could get them to seed, Im sure someone on here would post you a cutting, maybe after 1 or 2 attempts it would get through

If they do set seed do they self seed ? as all of the plants in my collection came from one single cutting

Edited by mac

I'd be pretty careful sending stuff to NZ. Might be worth bringing it into the country through the proper channels... either that or working out if someone already has?

hi All

I was wondering if it was possible to use Pereskia grandifolia in the same way. If so it might prove a longer lived graft as its a bigger frame and also the seeds are available.

the very few flowers i have been shown by people i know have never produced seed, nor fruit (selfed). not to say it cant happen, but the few times i have seen flowers they didnt. i suppose some fresh material from teh wild would help ensure some, hopefully, mixed blood.

hi All

I was wondering if it was possible to use Pereskia grandifolia in the same way. If so it might prove a longer lived graft as its a bigger frame and also the seeds are available.

PERESKIA ACULEATA, or Barbados Gooseberry, the cactus Pereskia of Linnaeus, is the only remaining generic type; and this differs from the rest in having woody stems and lead bearing branches, the leaves being somewhat felshy, but otherwise of the ordinary laminate character. The flowers are subpaniculate, white or yellowish. This species is frequently used as a stock on which to graft other Cacti.-Cactus Encyclopedia

I'm gonna try some grafting with this one next season, they grow really well from seed.

c44605.jpg

They produce a sweet fruit with 3-4 seeds

2004fa_pereskia_aculeata.jpg

Amazing how nutritious the leaves are!

Nice one bruvva. They look lush and like they would support good scion growth :)

Depending on where you are going to grow out the grafts it might be worth checking to see how the stock grows on it's own first?

Indoor, under HID, would be my guess for NZ- I'm sure there's no shortage of hydge set ups, :bong: say hi to Rangi for me!

I've been thinking of growing pereskia myself. I can get a different type of pereskia(sacharosa) seed the fruits taste like anything else like a cherry,or certain berries, is it tart at all?

Cool Lophty let us know how your experiments go Im keen to hear the results!

can anyone tell me what this plant is (with arrow pointing to it)

post-6263-127802725436_thumb.jpg

pretty sure watertrade sells pere seed on his website...

nope dont mind me :)

Edited by spacemonk

i was just going to start a topic asking for pere seed in nz..

pity to hear they dont often seed, if anyone in new zealand has cuttings i would be very interested in a trade :)

also, are there any other plants with similar rates of growth to peres that lophs etc could be grafted to?

do any of you guys have contacts with cacti societies? Surely the plant exists on the other side of the gap? If it doesn't then I'm sure the interest in getting it over there is strong enough for you all to bandy together and get it approved for import - you will then have them over there to share in abundance?

just a thought?