The Corroboree
Evening Glory

Psychoactive or physically abnormal plants for a cold climate

Hey everyone!

I am looking to expand my selection of indoor plants. Any psychoactive plant is interesting, and any plants with some kind of abnormal physical characteristics is also highly interesting. The thing is, I live in Norway. During the winter it is not much sun, even though I have windows facing south. During the summer it is both high temperatures and lots of sun, but the plants will have to be able to survive winters with little sun and temperatures indoors sometimes as low as 5-10 C.

At the moment, I have Salvia divinorum, Coleus blumei, a broad range of mescaline cacti, and Delosperma bosseranum. Any suggestions out there? It does not have to be psychoactive, but it has to have some interesting or abnormal characteristics in one way or another. What about Mimosa pudica, will it survive the winter? And what about insect-eating plants - what species are to be recommended? Any other interesting plants that will survive indoors in southern Norway (USDA zone 6) out there?

Any suggestions are welcomed with a huge thanks!

Edited by Evening Glory

Okay, I just ordered seeds for Codariocalyx motorius (Telegraph Plant), Mimosa pudica and Dionaea muscipula (Venus Flytrap). Any other suggestions out there? :)

Rhodiola rosea

Thanks, that's a good suggestion! I can grow that one outside. Inside I can grow next to anything that don't need a tropical climate though. Any more suggestions?

Phyllodium pulchellum (reportedly good 5-MeO-DMT source) I cant spare any seed tho, my plants refuse to flower :BANGHEAD2: It doesnt look strange but its incredibly rare, a couple people here grow it.

Heimia salicifolia or H. myrtifolia would do fine indoors there but they get kind of big.

Mimosa pudica should survive, M. hostilis and M. verrucosa should too (theyre more interesting :wink: )

If someone gives you loads of kratom seeds might as well attempt it, I grew 80 plants from seed to find the 1 that can survive my 45*C 5% humidity summers and 10*C 20% humidity winters :lol:

Catha edulis might work.

If you want to look tropical Cyperus alternifolius would work, some say its a great companion to psychedelics and when in flower it looks strange.

And again for looking tropical: Nelumbo nucifera komarovii you could grow outside and it would boggle peoples minds... siberian sacred lotus, hardy to -42*C and an intoxicant. Same species as the buddhist/hindu one, very rare but an american seed dealer has some. [1] I need to find me a 55 gallon drum and grow that, myself. Little buddha statue by it and stuff, yeah man B)

Isnt there a norwegian intoxicating lichen? You could make a little artificial waterfall over some rocks with intoxicant or medicinal lichen on them, that'd be neat looking and it'd sure be unusual. "Aw man, I scraped my elbow.. here let me just put on some medicinal lichen from my fountain" :lol:

Desmanthus illinoensis could maybe be grown outside.

Can you describe how little sun you mean?

If 5C is the minimum it gets inside, there are lots of things that you can grow. Depending on light levels obviously

things like psychotria and caapi will surive 5C, though they wont look pretty :P

it gets to 50 degrees Fahrenheit inside doesn't norway have heat? Along with the already suggested plants I would recommend kanna, scullcap and morning glory annually if you want a big plant and have big windows people have done it before. For insect eating plants sundew(drosera) are my favorite species you'll just need a non tropical one that can withstand cold,or need dormant periods.

with the rhodiola, from my research i seem to remember that as seedlings they would do better inside during winter, at least for the first year. If you are able to find good seed stock please let me know, i would be interested in as much verified Scandinavian seed as possible. Its a mission i had hoped to do whilst staying in Sweden but i didnt get a chance.

also, outdoor bedding woodlovers would be a good project for over there!

Thanks for the suggestions! Any interesting plants out there that specifically enjoy shade? I have some spots in rather shady locations indoors that would need some plants. Some light will be apparent - there's windows and often light turned on, but none of the light will be direct.

Interesting thread.

For the shady spots you could get some Haeworthias, they're not psychoactive but they're hardy and like neglection and some would realatively quickly fill up some flat pan-like pots.

Suddenly realized I didn't answer any of your posts... How rude of me!

Phyllodium pulchellum (reportedly good 5-MeO-DMT source) I cant spare any seed tho, my plants refuse to flower :BANGHEAD2: It doesnt look strange but its incredibly rare, a couple people here grow it.

Heimia salicifolia or H. myrtifolia would do fine indoors there but they get kind of big.

Mimosa pudica should survive, M. hostilis and M. verrucosa should too (theyre more interesting :wink: )

If someone gives you loads of kratom seeds might as well attempt it, I grew 80 plants from seed to find the 1 that can survive my 45*C 5% humidity summers and 10*C 20% humidity winters :lol:

Catha edulis might work.

I now have a few Mimosa pudica and a Mimosa hostilis, granted the latter one is more interesting. ;) I really hope they will survive the winter, I'm giving them some months in a greenhouse now so they can get as big as possible.

If you want to look tropical Cyperus alternifolius would work, some say its a great companion to psychedelics and when in flower it looks strange.

And again for looking tropical: Nelumbo nucifera komarovii you could grow outside and it would boggle peoples minds... siberian sacred lotus, hardy to -42*C and an intoxicant. Same species as the buddhist/hindu one, very rare but an american seed dealer has some. [1] I need to find me a 55 gallon drum and grow that, myself. Little buddha statue by it and stuff, yeah man B)

All good suggestions! Thanks a lot.

Isnt there a norwegian intoxicating lichen? You could make a little artificial waterfall over some rocks with intoxicant or medicinal lichen on them, that'd be neat looking and it'd sure be unusual. "Aw man, I scraped my elbow.. here let me just put on some medicinal lichen from my fountain" :lol:

Is it?? Do you happen to know the name of it? Would be very very interesting to know about.

Desmanthus illinoensis could maybe be grown outside.

Can you describe how little sun you mean?

If 5C is the minimum it gets inside, there are lots of things that you can grow. Depending on light levels obviously

things like psychotria and caapi will surive 5C, though they wont look pretty :P

Yeah, the temperature is not really the issue, it is more the sun. By little sun I mean like 5-6 hours of very weak sun in the two to three winter months.

it gets to 50 degrees Fahrenheit inside doesn't norway have heat? Along with the already suggested plants I would recommend kanna, scullcap and morning glory annually if you want a big plant and have big windows people have done it before. For insect eating plants sundew(drosera) are my favorite species you'll just need a non tropical one that can withstand cold,or need dormant periods.

I already have about 10 morning glories outside, which I do have to have with my name and all! ;) Of course we do have heat, but when it is -25 C outside, it may sometimes drop to 10-5 C inside. It's expensive as hell with electricity, and some windows do leak a lot of cold air in. Plants in these window soils do therefore need to withstand cold good.

with the rhodiola, from my research i seem to remember that as seedlings they would do better inside during winter, at least for the first year. If you are able to find good seed stock please let me know, i would be interested in as much verified Scandinavian seed as possible. Its a mission i had hoped to do whilst staying in Sweden but i didnt get a chance.

also, outdoor bedding woodlovers would be a good project for over there!

Impecta is a great swedish seed shop that stocks Rhodiola rosea. B&T World Seeds is also a great supplier. Yeah, outdoor woodlovers is a great idea!

Interesting thread.

For the shady spots you could get some Haeworthias, they're not psychoactive but they're hardy and like neglection and some would realatively quickly fill up some flat pan-like pots.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have also found Vinca minor, which may be a great addition to psychedelics that acts as vasoconstrictors. Can't find the plant in any shops here though, as it is classified as an invasive species, but I know it exists in many old gardens. Just have to find one...

Again, thanks for all answers!

I think the norwegian intoxicating lichen was a Radula species. Over here in the US a species of Dictyonema is used.

Glaucium flavum (Irish Poppy, Yellow Horned Poppy)

Originates from coastal areas of the north Atlantic...northern Ireland and Norway I believe. Head down to the beach and you might be lucky enough to find one. :wink:

hmm I live in USDA bordering zone 4/5, 2 years ago it got -20F for a couple days outside that sucked and it still rarely ever gets that cold inside. Maybe cover your windows with that clear insulation you can get for the winter not sure if it's common in norway. I think caapi might do ok inside get a more hardy variety,kanna would be ok possibly and some trichocereus they'll go dormant in winter which is natural I think peruvianus can withstand the most cold, but bridgesii would be more desirable.

Edited by tenacioustornado

Glaucium flavum (Irish Poppy, Yellow Horned Poppy)

Originates from coastal areas of the north Atlantic...northern Ireland and Norway I believe. Head down to the beach and you might be lucky enough to find one. :wink:

i spotted a few of them doing costal walks in the uk, and i could hardly believe my eyes,...

a "rugged looking poppy, visiting the beach", hehehe.

some ephedras are frost hardy down to minus 25 deg C, and probably i said it before, lagochilus is another good candidate.