The Corroboree
Slybacon

Ethnobotanicals in Sumatra

Im heading to a remote area on the westcoast of Sumatra for 3 weeks. The trip is mainly focused on the surfing but i will get the opportunity to wonder around the jungle and take some photos of the flora and fauna. Does anyone have any information on stuff to keep an eye out for?

There was a very interesting study recently carried out in Sumatra on ethnobotanicals...was published in springer link but I am not a member so couldn't read the much of the study but apparently it was a very prosperous and interesting expedition.

SOME INFO HERE

MORE HERE BUT MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED TO READ THE PDF

Survey of some West Sumatran plants for alkaloids

Tips on traveling around Sumatra...learn Bahasa...this will gain you instant cred with locals and they will show you anything you want...seriously.

Acacia confusa would be a nice find.

Still don't know what to make of this

I'm assuming the large amounts account for it's oral activity...stuff enough into you and there will be some that gets by unmetabolised and gets to the brain blood barrier.

Wicked which waves you surfing ? I went there in 2006 , fuckin sick surf, bang bangs , thunders, telescopes, maccas ...make sure you have a pool game with the pretty girls at the Bumminang , and get some karaoke hehe... watch out for mafia / scammers who want to photocopy your passport and sell you 12 year old girl. Ethnos? if youre going to a mainland village learn a little indo and ask they be friendly as, should be plenty of betal nut.

Another piece of advice...there has been a spate of alcohol poisonings over there the last year or so..23 surfing tourists have died from methanol poisonings, some shady bar managers have been cutting their drinks with methanol in an effort to make more money...it's no laughing matter apparently so be aware.

Kratom should be readily available and an abundance of cubes...omlettes, shakes teas etc...really potent too so watch it.

There was a very interesting study recently carried out in Sumatra on ethnobotanicals...was published in springer link but I am not a member so couldn't read the much of the study but apparently it was a very prosperous and interesting expedition.

SOME INFO HERE

MORE HERE BUT MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED TO READ THE PDF

if anyone wants this pdf PM me

Try here for journal articles on 'Medicinal plants from Riau Province, Sumatra, Indonesia". There are two parts. I'm not sure how long they will be available for though.

Journal articles

Edited by mr me

A quick search shows that back in December 2007 bio wrote in response to another thread here:

hi folks. what do you think of acacia confusa? damn thing suckers everywhere

There appears to have been no follow up, however it would be very interesting if in fact acacia confusa was growing prolifically in Northern Rivers NSW.

Anyone know any more on this?

Peace.

Hey watch out for the sumatran monkey, one bite from this god damn thing and you are done. Seen Braindead?

:)

Braindead..Peter Jackson's 2nd best film after Bad Taste.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going through Garden of Eden to see what I can find. If anyone has pics of what to look for that would help. I will take loads of photos. Maybe Indonesian names of plants will help with asking for such things.

Blowng - Not sure the names of the breaks. I will have a look and get back to you. I know the longest left on the island is right out the front of our room :)

RE - Alcohol poisonings , thanks for that. Will be on the look out. Also alot of dogs with rabies...... Dont worry , i fukn hate monkeys!!!!

Edited by Slybacon

Acacia confusa would be a nice find.

Has anyone here found an acacia confusa? if so im very interested.

Peter Jackson's 2nd best film after Bad Taste.

Hmmm each has its own special traits, and also don't forget Meet the feebles.

Dont worry , i fukn hate monkeys!!!!

I understand, this sumatran monkey doesn't look friendly at all :)

Edited by mutant

You might find one of my favourite incredibly rare plants native to that area - Amorphophallus Titanum, if you find some get me one :)

I leave for sumatra tomorrow :) Im so fuckn excited!!!!!

Just packed my brown undies.... the swell is 8 to 12 ft for the next week at least :drool2:

Im really keen to try some Kratom. Anyone know the best way to ask for this in the local lingo, also the betal nut sounds good???