The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Flange

Aropax an MAOIs

Got 1 question....

I hear that taking MAOIs while on aropax (or any ssri)is a bad mix but...

What exactly are maois?? They only 2 i think i know for sure that are, syrian rue an b.cappi?

What about mushies? dmt? salvia? mescal? baby woodrose? etc

Thanks all

Peace

[ 12. December 2004, 00:13: Message edited by: Flange ]

MAOI's ( Monoamine oxidase inhibitors ) stop the enzyme Monoamine oxidase from working.

Monoamine oxidase breaks down Serotonin,Dopamine and Adrelanine as well as other amines

The SSRI's( selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) reduce your brains reuptake of serotonin after it has been released so as to increase the brains serotonin levels.

[ 12. December 2004, 00:27: Message edited by: Ramon ]

Moclobemide (aurorix) is one of the common pharmaceutical MAOI's. MDMA is apparently also somewhat MAO inhibiting.

First read:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maoi...ois_info8.shtml

and associated articles.

I talk Zoloft + 4 x MAOIs, being alcohol, nicotine, caffeine and antihistamines. And while it is not recommended, I survive.

I would seriously NOT recommend taking harmine and SSRIs or any serotonin antagonists. The balances in the human hormonal and nervous systems are robust but why take the risk.

Read as much as you can on ayahuasca and make a spiritual commitment to do what is required to successfully (and safely) experiment in this area.

Good luck (Chok Di).

Guest electro

do you mean that the 4 chems u mentioned are not reccomended while on maoi's or are you saying that alcohol, caffeine & nicotine are maoi inhibitors ?

i could have sworn they werent maoi's but do interact badly with maoi's, but well, im quite often wrong lol :)

cheers

Erowid is overcautious on the point of combining stimulants with MAO-a inhibitors. Speed, ephedrine, etc are quite safe at somewhat reduced dosage. MDMA however isn't.

Once youve read the Maoi FAQ then look into reversibl eand irreversible MAOi's

the haramala alks are reversible and so wear off after a few hours

other phramas can be irreversible and so wear off as the body renews the enzymes over days

I am fairly sure however that being revesibl eor irreversible is an attribute independent from how strongly it acts

Cactus and MAOis (natural) have been taken on several occassions with anything but adverse effects

Caffeine and alcohol (beer) the same. YMMV

Mocoblomide (300mg) and MDA (100mg) is a hair raiser and not recommended (or repeated) though thoroughly praised by one sick gnome.

Thanks for the replys, can someone on a 20mg a day dose of aropax (an SSRI) be able to consume normal doses (or lower) of Syrian Rue, Hawaian baby woodrose, and Anadenanthera colubrina <<-- Yopo/dmt

Guest electro

no to the rue,

id guess yes for the hbwr & the anadenanthera (smoked rather than had with maoi) though.

Its been mentioned before in other therads but SSRI's can mess with your ability to consume some things

ive talked to people who have had markedly attentuated experiences with both shrooms and smoked tryptamines when on SSRIS

I know one person who ate 100 fratal seeds and got NO effect except some nausea. Turns out he was on SSRI's.

Guest electro

oh yea i forgot about the lessening effect :/...

ssri + mdma = no mdma effects, only slight stimulation (like a lil bit of speed) - very wasteful ...

shrooms plus MDMA = marked potentiation of shrooms visual component along with intense waves of euphoria

MDMA plus amphetamine = strong stimulation, introspection, empathy but no euphoria, useful but not pleasant

Bump!

A friend who takes paroxetine (Aropax) 20mg daily is interested in trying ayahuasca in the near-ish future and asked my advice.

Now I know that mixing SSRIs and MAOIs is supposed to avoided, because of serotonin syndrom etc.. But how dangerous would this really be?

Also, I saw the thread that mentions there is a potentially fatal interaction between paroxetine and mushrooms.. Seeing DMT is so similar in structure to psyloc(yb)in, does anyone know if the interaction is still apparent?

i would say your friend has to stopp taking the aropax for at least two weeks before consuming aya.

Edited by planthelper

Thanks.

Does anyone have any more information?

^It would likely be fatal and if not that, then completely negative physically. A person on SSRI's CANNOT EVER take aya, until the chemcical has been flushed for at least two weeks, and if the medication was taken long-term, may still be inadivsable.

Other drugs/substances to be aware of are 5-HO-DMT (bufotenine, as from A colubrina), 5-Meo-DMT both are mild MAOi's. AMT/5-Meo-AMT are also; PMA is also; some of the 2C-T-XX are quite potent MAOi's. Be careful.

Also, I saw the thread that mentions there is a potentially fatal interaction between paroxetine and mushrooms.. Seeing DMT is so similar in structure to psyloc(yb)in, does anyone know if the interaction is still apparent?

Where is this thread you speak of- I've been on SSRI's for years and encountered all the entheogens of note to no ill effect. Mushrooms SHOULD be safe with SSRI's- btw I'm on 200mg zoloft daily, and I still trip intensely off DMT, mushrooms, mescaline etc.

MDMA plus amphetamine = strong stimulation, introspection, empathy but no euphoria, useful but not pleasant

if this is your experience, but you have not taken the amphetamine, is there any tweeking to give the euphoria?

t s t .

Where is this thread you speak of- I've been on SSRI's for years and encountered all the entheogens of note to no ill effect. Mushrooms SHOULD be safe with SSRI's- btw I'm on 200mg zoloft daily, and I still trip intensely off DMT, mushrooms, mescaline etc.

It is mentioned here.

Thanks for the feedback, as I suspected this person will be missing out on the aya this time round :(