Sign in to follow this  
toby

evolver spore

Post copied from Aust ethnobotany..

http://www.evolver.net/group/evolver_sy ... re_meeting

Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Time: 7:00pm - 10:00pm

Location: The Hive, Erskineville: 93 Erskineville Rd - www.thehivebar.com.au

For millennia, cultures around the world expanded minds and visions with “teacher plants” – what we commonly know today as psychedelics. The widespread popularity of LSD during the 1960s awakened the Western psyche to these powerful substances, ushering in a period of wild experimentation that revolutionized art and music, inspired social movements, and opened new vistas of possibility for psychotherapy. But a swift backlash from the establishment made psychedelics illegal, repressing and marginalizing them as “dangerous drugs.”

Today, there is new potential for psychedelics to be reintroduced into mainstream culture, not as drastic catalysts of social upheaval but as tools that can help people overcome serious problems, explore mystical experiences, find inspiration, and understand more about consciousness and the brain. Psychedelic research with human subjects is underway again after a 35-year blockade, thanks to the efforts of non-profit organizations like MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) and the Beckley Foundation. Prominent newspapers and magazines are giving these substances another look, acknowledging their potential for therapeutic and spiritual breakthroughs if used with care. At the same time, the worldwide resurgence of interest in indigenous shamanism indicates a deeper maturity and respect emerging toward these ancient sacraments.

In this Spore, we will explore and discuss the exciting new frontiers for psychedelics in our modern culture, as both scientifically verified medicines and intentional tools for personal development.

http://www.evolver.net/psychedelics_spore

Birdwing

damn i won't be here. i've been meaning to go to one of these spore things for a while...let me know how it goes if anyone attends.

Might go, sounds interesting.

damn i won't be here. i've been meaning to go to one of these spore things for a while...let me know how it goes if anyone attends.

Yeah it was a good night. Met some interesting people :).

Ah damn, completely forgot about it. How was the talk?

Really interesting... it was funny at the beginning of Rak's skype link how he said he hoped he didn't have to talk for the full 45 minutes but once he got talking he had no problems keeping going.

Yeah it was very insightful. Really keen for the next one :)

It amused me when we were doing a short guided mediation.. "close your eyes.. breathe in slowly.. relax".. and since it was upstaairs in a bar, you could hear all the noise downstairs - people talking loudly, cups giong clink clink and cars going past outside etc. Was really good though :)

It amused me when we were doing a short guided mediation.. "close your eyes.. breathe in slowly.. relax".. and since it was upstaairs in a bar, you could hear all the noise downstairs - people talking loudly, cups giong clink clink and cars going past outside etc.

Funny I was thinking the same thing too but still managed to eventually zone it out probably cause I was closer to the front.

Yeh was really cool great little crew and interesting people also looking forward to the next one.

I would've liked to have stayed a while longer, and talked to some people. Didn't have anywhere to leave my dog, and he was a bit freaked out at all the people and everything.. I liked raks quiet revolution angle with regards to ayahuasca

I liked raks quiet revolution angle with regards to ayahuasca

Rak has also got a podcast that is pretty interesting too if you liked some of his thoughts.

http://in-a-perfect-world.podomatic.com/

Just having a look now looks like he has podcasted the talk from last night for any of those couldn't make it along.