The Corroboree
bluejay700777

Hail Storm

Any Melbournians catch the storm today? Post pics if you got em eh?

A large number of my lophs, a couple of my baby trichs and even the opuntia were struck, split and royally fucked up :( Apart from that, in the safety of my house it was awesome to watch.

l_230634b7c1834e209f7c7465a565b0eb.jpg

l_586817d78f4b47dc8c6e1fa0a315e181.jpg

Edited by bluejay700777

Damn about the cacti, but hail storms are awesome to watch. How big were the stones?

I had golf ball sized ones. Most of my trichs are damaged to some degree. The stones seemed to aim for the tips, lol. It was actually pretty scary at the height of it. My girlfriend wanted to move her car out of the hail so I gave her a bucket to put over her head as protection while she ran to the car and I frantically cleared all of my crap out of the carport. I was getting pelted from all angles as they ricocheted off things. Normally you think you'd be pretty safe from hail under a carport, but I think I was pretty lucky to get out with only a bruised knuckle.

How's about the flood in the CBD? http://www.theage.com.au/national/storm-brings-chaos-to-melbourne-20100306-ppm4.html

Never seen anything like this storm.

Some got to the size of golf balls in our area, I thought the windows were going to smash in. Apparently they were like tennis balls in the city. Roads looking like rivers and the like.

Yeah it was very energizing and exciting until I inspected my plants after the damage (grrrrrrr). I expect they'll recover though.

Love storms :)

post-1298-126788171835_thumb.jpgpost-1298-126788170981.jpgpost-1298-126788171189.jpgpost-1298-126788171386.jpgpost-1298-126788171621_thumb.jpg

Image046.jpg

Image047.jpg

Image048.jpg

Image049.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image046.jpg

Image047.jpg

Image048.jpg

Image049.jpg

Image050.jpg

Yeah Ballzac I was lucky to get just a whack to the hand. The vids on the news were insane. Those two girl that looked like they had been whipped. Just crazy. There was an incredible storm a few years ago in Canberra. It practically shut down the entire city. That is the only storm in memory that outdoes today.

Damn just checked out your link. Incredible.

Edited by bluejay700777

Edited by Chiral

I absolutely love the storm when i dont have to go outside. It´s great to sit in the warm house, watch TV and listen to the crazy sounds of an insane storm. :blush:

Yeah it was a goodie - predictably at the hieght of the storm five calls came through about roof leaks and broken skylights ,one guy moaned his arse of too me about the service fee on a weekend $$$ then bitched even further when i said anyone would be crazy to get on a roof for the next 4 hours - it was deadly out there.

It was hard work to get it across to him to simply move the microwave and tea towels so they were not directly beneath the damaged area.

What's funny about this is when we follow up the calls next week ,every one will say "its alright ,its ( heavey rain) not happening anymore ,dont need my stormwater pipes cleaned at the moment ,costs too much anyway"

In situations like this a sensible bit of on going maintenance goes a long way - it will happen at least once again in the next twelve months for sure ,hopefully minus the ice blocks

i remember around the year 99,00,01 (thats not good), a "white xmas" on the mornington pennisula at mt martha victoria. small hail stones that year but alot for along time....truely a surreal experience hanging in my mushroom looking out the window.

Im in the mallee now and its wet and cold and freakin feb/march!! wtf my caapi, viridis and iboga are having a hissy fit!! should be 40c not 25c! seriously not good for the grape industry here.

global warming....mwhahahahahaha.....more fear anyone KCHING$$

gallery_1298_174_36551.jpg

gallery_1298_174_336411.jpg

gallery_1298_174_311794.jpg

gallery_1298_174_12463.jpg

gallery_1298_174_47587.jpg

gallery_1298_174_147524.jpg

gallery_1298_174_164635.jpg

gallery_1298_174_46050.jpg

Mate! i was driving through fern tree gully at the time that it hit - coming up to the hills it was like this weird and green smudge - no real discernable storm clouds, then the wind hit, it started pissing down and then i heard what sounded like bullets hitting my car - they were some big ones - gold ball sized.

I followed another dude under some cover at a factory but i coped a few nasty dents. Then the biggies came down - tennis ball sized! they would knock you out if they hit ya too. crazy shit!

Chaos all around the city too - tunnels, roads, etc all closed.

ohh ballzac, that sucks.

they will pull through though

I think about half of the growing tips have been killed, which is the annoying bit. All three pups on the Eileen are battered. As is the rosei (out of focus pic).

:o Bloody hell mate, they copped it real bad. I was lucky we didnt really get the big hail out Yarra Valley way.