The Corroboree
Ladymalcontent

My first Acacia

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me about which species would be easy for me to find in a nursery. Have been looking into the interesting forms of acacia, but not sure how to go about procuring any. I don't want to just stroll into a nursery and rattle off a long list of names and start raising eyebrows :lol:. I am a relatively experienced gardener, but anything really tricky to grow I would prefer to steer away from. Cheers

Madenii, obtusifolia, bakeri and acuminata are popular acacia varieties for the ethno enthusiast. You won't find them in any nursery that I'm aware of, but SAB shop sells seeds from time and members sometimes offer up seedlings and saplings in the plant and seed exchange forum here.

They are relatively easy to grow from seed after you soak the seed in water for a couple of days, they are slow initially but after about 6 months they really get a wriggle on and can grow quite fast, particularly from years 2 and onwards they can get massive if in the right environment.

keep an eye out for acacia seed in the seed forum or look in the SAB shop to see if any are available.

happy gardening... :)

I would start with obtusifolia Ladymalcontent. Very easy to propagate from seed. They grow insanely fast, you'd be amazed at the size of a 2 year old plant grown from seed. Try and find a local native nursery for some variety. I have seen longifolia, madenii, and lots of common ones at bunnings in the past.

Madenii, obtusifolia, bakeri and acuminata are popular acacia varieties for the ethno enthusiast

I heard recently that maidenii has been found not to contain DMT. I think it was actually at Jeremy J's talk at EGA. Is that right?

What does bakeri contain?

Yes tripsis i do believe it was J's talk. lots of other info here on sab about that too.

Go for obtusifolia. really easy to grow, and quick. when they get growing they dont muck about.

also floribunda. they can be found in nurseries, bunnings, etc. very common, and these are def insane growers.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Yeah, floribunda is a good one to get from a nursery.