The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

justica info

i know there was some talk a fair while ago about justica and whats in it etc (i may be completely wrong of course, may have never happened), well found this while finding even more creative ways of avoiding doing my assignments

justica stuff here------------->

[ 07. September 2004, 15:19: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

Cool!

It says that "Coumarin and umbelliferone(also found in Hawkweed as tantra pointed out)were identified because they are

major constituents of the plant and because of their ability to relax smooth

muscle."

Would this aid absorption through mucus membrane into subcutaneous layer for slower dustribution?

Hey I'm a layman here :P

Interesting also:

"Ten antiviral lignans, seven known (justicidins A, B, C and D, diphyllin,

diphyllin apioside and diphyllin apioside-5-acetate) and three new compounds,

justicidinosides A (justicidin C 6'-O- glucoside), B (justicidin A

6'-O-glucoside) and C (justicidin B 6'-O- glucoside), were isolated from a

methanolic extract of the aerial parts of Justicia procumbens var. leucantha.

Justicidins A and B, diphyllin, diphyllin apioside and diphyllin

apioside-5-acetate showed strong antiviral activity (the MIC were less than 0.25

microgram ml- 1, respectively) against vesicular stomatitis virus and low

cytotoxicity (the MTC were larger than 31 micrograms ml-1, respectively) against

cultured rabbit lung cells (RL-33)."

Rev!!!

Could you grow pleurotis sp.on the straw of Justicia procumbens var. leucantha to maybe add more antiviral activity to the shrooms?

:D

I'm puzzled with this one. Different sources say different things.

Shulgin wrote in Tihkal, that justicia pectoralis contains NMT, DMT and 5-Meo-DMT. Active in it's own right, but also added to other plants. Can only find the one reference in the book, not sure if it's the only one. (pg 277)

Plants of the gods said it may contain tryptamines, but still needs confirmation. (pg 45& 72-73)

I've also read on at least 2 other sources (no idea what they were from memory) that it contained DMT and other tryptamines. Maybe they just copied from the previous sources, i don't know.

Maybe the confusion has come from testing virola/justicia mixes?

Seeing how he wrote it, I wonder if Shulgin has actually tested only justicia and isolated tryptamines from it, does anyone have his email address, i would be really interested to discuss this one?

Other than that, all other people i've spoken to said definately no DMT.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

thanks very much jack!

though, if someone who is in contact with him, and doesn't mind sending me his email via pm, it would be much appreciated (i will keep it confidential), i would still like to discuss a few things outside of the public eye. I realise he is extremely busy, but if it's possible it's worth a try at least once.

[ 08. September 2004, 10:58: Message edited by: gerbil ]

people who have his e-mail address are not allowed to share it. However, you can simply write him a snail mail letter and include your e-mail address. If he finds time and interest in your topic he will reply. His address is in his books.

Before bugging him though, maybe we should do some experiments with justicia. eg, some TLC for dmt. Or justicia and MAOI bioassay (caution!!)

good idea's T, thanks.

will do some searching and see what i can come up with, if a range of things are tried with no luck, i'll then send off a letter as a last resort.

I'm not keen on playing around with maoi, but if somebody does this, would be very interested to hear the results.

[ 08. September 2004, 21:53: Message edited by: gerbil ]

have a small amount of justica that can be donated to people wanting to do experiments, though they may need to wait till the plant is a little happier befor i do

biblio:

www.microscopy.fsu.edu/ phytochemicals/pages/coumarin.htm

http://www.lymphovenous-canada.ca/benzo.htm

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/Asides/coumarin.htm

http://www.herbs2000.com/miss/coumarins.htm

Merck index

This is just something very basic, put together quickly this afternoon, don't take it too seriously, actually don't take it seriously at all, as i have little knowledge on the subject, just put together from basic reading. And i realise it's short and written poorly, but eh it'll do for now.

Coumarin, found throughout the plant kingdom, is thought to be a natural defence mechanism (pesticide) for the plants that produce it, possibly due to it's bitterness and toxic derivatives.

It can occur solely as coumarin, or with glucose to form coumarin glycosides. The glycosides have shown to have effective anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, blood thinning and anti-tumor actions.

Coumarin although found in good amounts in different plants, has been synthesised in the lab, and was once used as an anti-lymphedema drug in many countries. Although many reports of hepatoxicity have made countries call back the supplies, and stop it's production as a medicine.

In Australia, coumarin has been marketed previously as 'Lodema'. It's use have been reportedly linked to deaths as well as many other cases of liver toxicity, it may be a possible carcinogenic compound, of which some people have been able to stop liver problems by ceasing the intake of the Lodema 200mg tablets.

There have been reports of toxicity in cattle from consuming sweet clover, which is thought to be linked to the breakdown/fermentation of coumarin, into dicoumarol, which has shown to have anticoagulant actions. Dicoumarol interfers with production of vitamin K, which is needed for blood clotting to occur, causing the animal to bleed to death, which is also the action of dicourmarol and it's derivitives used in things such as rat poison.

Properly cured sweet clover seems to have no negative effect on animals who ingest it.

Apparently humans metabolise coumarins differently from other species such as animals, and coumarins are neutralised in digestion into harmless derivatives. It's long term effects in humans have not been fully understood.

Coumarin is also used as a flavouring agent, as well for the production of scents such as perfumes, soaps etc.

Umbelliferone (7-hydroxycoumarin, aka skimmetin, hydrangin), is used in sunscreens and various skin creams. Upon heating, umbelliferone develops the odour of or similar to coumarin, with a mp of 225-228 degrees, it fluoresces strongly in alkaline solutions under UV light. Soluble in chloroform, alcohol and acetic acid.

T st Tantra has had some results with Melilotus, another coumarin containing species

coincidence?

melilotus is the plant refered to above as sweet clover,i think.

i've given a bit of thought to this issue before handing out samples ,and i think the amount of coumarin in the doses i take and recommend is very low.i verify this on an almost daily basis as a cactus grower and sufferer from nose bleeds,in that i have had no bloodthining problems.but this is an accumulative property so daily use may not be advised.about 5 days i think before blood thining properties wear off.

then again i beleive i would consume much less than the 1/4 asprin a day recommended as a preventative for heart attacks.

now 5X hawkweed may be more of an issue.

coumarins are in so many plants,whats the link with chocolate and vanilla?

there was a main article in time and other media recently to do with life extention and illness.

basic argument was about the negative effects of illness such as inflamation on quality and quantity of life .and asking if potential side effects from daily use of anti-inflamitory and other medications were a lesser issue/risk.i think coumarins fit this line of thought.

i would also claim some health benefits from weekly use of justicia,apart from feelings of well being,wound healing etc seem improved[which would be expected from its chemistry and traditional uses.

t s t .