The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Recomendations for tin roof sealant...?

I'm lucky enough to have a double sized garage at my place which I use as a recreational area..music, painting, repairing stuff etc etc...anyways it has a pretty ordinary flat tin roof and it leaks like a mofo. Seems every time I get up there with the sealant gun and go bananas, only to witness next heavy rains new leaks and twice as many as before...probably from me walking on it and stressing out. I wanna get up there again soon and really give it another round of sealant and tighten up some more roof screws that keep coming loose, this time however I want to lay/paint or spray some kind of thickish layer of something to help stop the leaks as they are my biggest worry.

Can anyone recommend anything that is cheap and cheerful that I could roll, spray or brush on even, that will work well. I have about a dozen 2 litre drums of old outside enamel paints I bought from a recycling centre and thought I might just go nuts with heaps and heaps of thick paint..should work shouldn't it..?

What I'd really like is kind of spray tar, that would be wicked, and deaden the sound of the rain too...anyways anyone used anything before that's good but don't cost silly money.

Yeah grab yourself some cheap fiberglass matting & some paint on roofing tar or under body sealer (sound deadener) for cars from a auto shop or hardware shop

its fairly cheap & will do the trick :wink:

Its messy shit & hard to clean up but will be the best thing for the job

you just paint on some of the tar cut some matting for larger holes or joins & give it a thick top coat it will last for fken years, plus it will be flexible so wont crack like paint would

Edited by mac

Thanks mac...yeah I never thought about using matting ala fibreglassing...good thinkin amigo.. :wink:

Yeah i used to work for a roofer many years ago & have restored the underside of cars etc

just remember to wire brush any rust or crap off so it gets good adhesion & bobs ya uncle

Hey mac that reminds me of this stuff i use sometimes, its a rubbery like substance to seal chimneys ( brick courses , flashing and stuff)

Its called "pond sealer" and its a paint and yeah starngley enough like car under body rubber spray shit :)

use generously chiral and its wicked stuff.

I think you can get a spray that's similar...been thinking about the rusty gutters here and our old tank.(Having Hemochromatosis)

Something innocuous for clean water collection.

Are you going to take advantage of the catchment?

I gotta post a pictorial on our recent water tank drama :rolleyes: .No wonder we were getting sick!

Old school cocky landlord had to concede and well I will post the pics maybe tonight in another thread.

The 1- 4 ltr paint tins are better value a much thicker product applied with a paintbrush rather than thinned down spray on type in my opinion

auto gear tends to be the best i have used ill see if i can find a old tin to get the brand i use

Hardware stores sell it as roof & gutter sealant just be sure its safe if you have a rainwater tank as the pond sealer Mr G House a mentioned is better if you have a rainwater tank you use for drinking water

Edited by mac

Cool :)

if its totally flat go with hot roofing tar and gravel

Where would you get hot roofing tar from...?

this sounds wicked but pricey and hard to access too...

Roofing tar - Its kind of a standard or its in the building regulations of some states in USA, you probably wont find it here as we dont use roofing tar in Aus, and its not required by law .

But you would most likely have to order it in, from a specilaist roof hardware supply website or something, chiral,

It would be the way to go, its a good sealer forsure.

adds wieght though, its heavier ( the heaviest method 4 sure ) than other methods your thinking of.

Taubmans make a product called Armawall Armashield which is a weatherproof "latex" type paint (advertised for use on masonry but recommended to me by a painter for tin). Go's on real thick and both seals and insulates. Used it on my shed roof and it dropped the temp inside by nearly 10 degrees on a hot day and plugged up the many small leaks at the same time. If you hunt around you can get a corrugated paint roller which makes it a breeze to apply onto corrugated tin as well. From memory I think the paint comes in 15L bucket and is not cheap but it worked great for me!. Distributed by Bristol I believe.

The cheapest and least offensive material to restore a rusty roof

or any kind of rusty

is a jumbo bottle of sunflower oil

this is the cheapest drying oil you can lay your

hands on

for some reason even yucky painters linseed

that is cut with mineral turps

is really expensive

paints and all are ridiculously expensive

sunflower oil will convert some of the rust

back to metal too

spray it on the underside and on any old wood around too