The Corroboree
synaesthesia

Sassafras Albidum Root Bark?

Hey Guys,

It's been a few years since I've been here, still really glad the site is still up and still really active with the shop adding heaps of new products.

I've got a basic question here... Is Sassafras Albidum Root Bark Powder legal in Australia ?

I notice that it is available here at Shaman Australis, and that, to me, suggests that obviously it is clearly legal. But if this is the case howcome no other ethnobotancial supplier, or any supplers at all in Australia really supplies this dried herb ? I know that this herb does have clear health risks and can be carcinogenic, and that would be a reason for its limited sale despite its legality, but still, to have no one really sell this herb at all is quite strange. And so I beg the question... Is this herb fully legal ? is it a grey area ? does it need to be declared ? etc etc...?

The reason I ask is becuase I seek roughly 2000g of the dried herb. It's a little bit too expensive to buy in the smaller quantities advertised here, althought I probably will still buy one or two to add to my ethnobotanical collection.

Thanks in advance guys.

Definitely legal to possess. Not so sure about importing it due to that whole "if it contains a scheduled drug then it IS a scheduled drug" thing under the customs act. Safrole is not a scheduled drug in NSW, rather a controlled precursor. That silly little definition above doesn't apply to NSW precursor listings.

In any case, there are such light grey areas that I feel it healthy to stand up for ones rights and take a risk. I'd just love to argue the point that if I get convicted for sassafras bark then every supermarket needs to be raided for nutmeg as both contain the same listed precursor.

So yeah, I am not going to be shy about that one.

I have a forest of Sassafras trees on my land.

If anybody needs Sassafras roots, let me know!

I'm making me some root beer! :)

I found one supplier of the herb in Australia and gave them a call but they will only sell to registered businesses in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry. So I guess that's the end of that. There is an abundance of the herb and tree is the USA. Grrr. Thanks for the help and tips though

Didn't want to start another thread...

A few days ago I dumped in about 1/4 cup of SABs SARB powder on the top of the coffee in a percolator and ran it through twice (about 4-6cups of water), chilled it in the fridge and added to a glass 50/50 with milk and ice cream for a sassafras coffee frappe. So delicious and I had a damn good buzz going for the next 12hrs or so. Question is I'm curious how much - if any - of the sassafras would've been infused into the brew? I don't know a whole lot about sassafras but from everything else I read the traditional way to brew the tea is to boil it for quite a while, so would 2 percs have been enough for the effects, or was it just the coffee content that had me doing the jitterbug while cleaning the house?

Edit: Added sugar and vanilla essence is pretty essential so it doesn't taste much different to a regular iced coffee.

Edited by FancyPants

where do i get 12 hour coffee?

thanx for posting.

i would have put the sludge in a saucepan afterwards and given that a long simmer.

t s t .

^^^ *headdesk* good point about the coffee.

I made another brew yesterday which I'll be drinking before I go out tonight. And I'll put the sludge aside to simmer... damn I just remembered my gas is disconnected so no stovetop, guess I'll put it in a container and freeze to use when I can.

So I've done a little research on this subject, and tomorrow I will call AQIS and Customs as well. But it does definitely look like Sassafras Albidum Root Bark is definitely LEGAL to possess in Australia.

It also looks like it is legal to import into the country as well as long as the Powdered Root Bark is obviously free of any fecal matter, animal matter, seeds, dirt etc... I'll quote some articles from both AQIS and Customs pertaining to this matter to substantiate my claims :

Import case details - public listing New Search

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commodity: Sassafras albidum, Dried - [Root]

Scientific name: Sassafras albidum

End use: All uses other than as animal foods, fertilisers or for growing purposes

Date printed: Sep 27 2009

Condition C9482

Non-Commercial

1. An Import Permit is not required.

2. A Quarantine Entry is not required.

3. All material in the consignment must be labelled with full botanical names i.e. genus and species. Each package must be labelled. Alternatively if the goods are easily identifiable, then there is no requirement of the botanical nomenclature.

4. All material in the consignment must be thoroughly dried and not capable of propagation.

5. Each consignment will be subject to an inspection to verify that it is free of prohibited seeds, live insects, soil and other quarantine risk material.

6. If the consignment does not meet the above conditions it will be treated as detailed in the Commercial conditions below, re-exported or destroyed.

AQIS website : Import Conditions Database. Accessed 27.7.2009 from http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...;LogSessionID=0 Australia.

Furthmore to this information on AQIS, i found a pfd sheet from customs pertaining to the import of Safrole and Safrole products like the oils of the Sassafras and Cmaphor and Piper etc... The report does obviously mention that the oils are illegal without permit from the TGA. But the report mentions nothing about the wood products of the actual plants, namely the root bark of the Sassafras Albidum. So it does look like the all clear is there from Customs as well. Again, Ill post the details from that report below :

AUSTRALIAN CUSTOMS NOTICE NO. 2004/24

Safrole and Isosafrole in Essential Oils

The purpose of this notice is to assist industry to identify potential imports of safrole, which

requires an import licence issued by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

Safrole and related compounds are properly imported under tariff items 2932.94.00 (safrole),

2932.91.00 (isosafrole), 2932.93.00 (piperonal) and 2932.90 (MDP2P, also known as 3,4

methylenedioxyphenyl-2-propanone, piperonylemetylketone, PMK).

However Customs has observed shipments of safrole and safrole containing oils described as

"essential oil(s)" (not otherwise described), "essential oil(s) other than citrus" or "essential

oil(s) - other", mainly but not exclusively under tariff items 3301.29.00 and/or 3301.90.00.

A description of goods covering an essential oil(s) consignment that contains any of the words

or phrases: sassafras, safrole, isosafrole, sassafras oil, Chinese sassafras oil, yellow

camphor oil, or brown camphor oil indicates with certainty that the goods contain safrole or

isosafrole, and the importer must comply with import licensing and permit requirements.

An exception to this is “white camphor oil”. Although coming from the same Chinese

plant Cinnamomum camphora, the white camphor oil does not contain safrole and does

not require a permit.

A goods description of “camphor oil” or "Chinese camphor oil" is insufficient.

Clarification from the owner as to the type of the oil (white, yellow or brown camphor oil)

must be sought before making any determination or declaration that the goods do not

contain safrole.

In addition, high concentrations of safrole occur naturally in some, but not all, essential oils

derived from plants of the genus Cinnamomum, cultivated commercially in South East Asia, a

range of plants of the genus Ocotea and Piper, cultivated commercially in South America, and

the plant Sassafras albidum, growing in North America.

Any shipment of essential oils derived from the plants named Cinnamomum burmannii, Ocotea

preciosa, Ocotea cymbarum and Piper hispidinervium may have a high content of safrole.

Importation of generically described essential oils by a consignee apparently unconnected with

flavours and fragrances industry, perfumery and cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical or

chemical industry might be an indicator of covert supply of safrole to clandestine manufacture

of illicit drugs in Australia. Your assistance in identifying such shipments is sought – please

report suspicious consignments to Frontline on 1800 06 1800.

Accessed from Australain Customs Service on 27.9.2009. http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resource...es/acn04212.pdf Australia

I hope this information thoroughly helps others here.

you might want to do more reading.

Safrole is a schedule 4 prohibited import. There are no exemptions listed for low levels of safrole, so they are technically the same as high grade. The customs document you cited only explains which import numbers to use for proper import. It does not state the legal limitations.

Customs can prosecute you for safrole import regardless of the quantity and grade. Just like you can get prosecuted for traces of ibogaine in voacanga seeds or traces of ephedrine in Sida seeds.

Ultimately you may very well get away with it. In fact it is quite likely. But that doesn't mean that it is legal and that there is no risk. Making such statements to others is reckless.