The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cosmosuperball

bush food staples

hi i was just wondering about some good staple bushfoods that would thrive in an environment without the constant tendering like alot of european vegetables tend to have.

quandongs, as long as they have a host plant

macadamia, bunya nuts, acacia flour.. nothing else comes to mind that you'd want to eat lots of. many recipes around to keep bunya nuts interesting. as well as quandong there are some other fruits if you research, i'm not sure on their climates.

you can get less "european" versions of stuff, tarot is similar to potato but is a weed. malabar spinach is used a lot in asia instead of spinach although it's not really a bush food. i think maybe this is what you're after, easy to grow food plants? you'll get better answers if you clarify.

if you're really keen on natives though there is a bush food nursery at arana hills.

Wow - bunya nuts! I haven't eaten them, or even seen them for that matter since I was a kid! Would love to pick some up, any advice where I can find them??

midyim berries 'austromyrtus dulcis(i think) yummy and tough!

Warrigal greens - spinach substitute

Carpobrotus - edible fruits

Acmena "cascade" - the berries are like lollies compared to some of the other lilli pillis, literally sweet as

Native raspberry

Davidsons plum

The list could go on and on but shant :)

editity bit: i mean syzigium "cascade"

Edited by freakazoid