The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

brugmansia diseases

this probably is in the wrong forum but anyways does anybody know of any ways of dealing with brugmansias that have already been infected by some kind of disease i would prefer not to destroy it but if i have no other option well then......

depends on disease. we would need a pic.

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

did some harrassing to get a camera but no luck so wont be able to get any photo's, but heres a brief description of whats going on, the new young leaves appear to be fine but as the leaf gets older it starts to go yellowish in spots especially around the edges the quite rapidly it develops brown dead spots usually about .5cm across smaller ones deveolop then they spread rapidly then the leaf wilts and drops off, aurea had it bad but it was never really happy to start off with so i got rid of it a candida appears to have devolped it now but it seems to be keeping it at bay the spots appear but dont do much damage as rapidly, dont know if this help at all, its proving quite difficult to find out what it is so i know how to deal with it

Just from experience I would say to check for spidermite. They are by far the most common problem. In summer they are difficult to see as they are translucent. in winter they are red. the damage they cause looks like it is a disease.

most natural methods will not control efficiently. ask at a nursery for a special miticide for spidermite that your local spidermites aren't resistant to.

checked for them and treated for them aswell, had a problem with them for awhile they seem to love it around where i live, this seems like something different its weird, but i shall give it another bash and isolate the tree till i know whats going on

I have a small seedling that may have come from you IM??...or Luke??-not sure,but its leaves are yellowing and curling under but no spots.It tends to only have about 3 leaves on the plant at a time :confused:

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

or does it look like copper colored rusty bits?

thats what mine got,

the stems and leaves get the same rusty appereance, pity its my t st purple seedlings. a fungus?

This same thing is happening with my brug suaveolens aswell.

The leaves go yellow at the tips then after a few days it gets rusty patches that take up the whole leaf , and I've noticed theres also a greyish mold/fungus growing in the soil directly under the plant.

One of my datura plants had a bad mite attack recently, it didn't have alot of foliage, so i took most of the large leaves off, and stripped the remaining leaves of mites by running my fingers through them a few times. Repeat this over a few days and they are now gone, with good fresh growth starting. I admit it's not an ideal way to get rid of them (especially if you have a large plant), but it works well for small plants without using and chems on it.

If you can't see much mite, put the plant in front of a bright light bulb, and get a 10x jewellers loupe, easy to see.

If that doesn't work, put meddle on and jam to one of these days. :D

[ 11. April 2004, 12:48: Message edited by: gerbil ]

hey madragora, i fertilise nearly every week with an all round fertiliser and i change the type of fertiliser i use semi infrequently to try and cover anything thats missing, they have a bout of spider mites but im constantly on top of them.

in the places where the spots start to appear the veins also discolour, i think i have ruled out virus but suspect it is fungal, the plant that was badly damaged has been discarded but my candida seems to be holding off against it the spots appear but dont spread, so ill keep on it

thanks for all the suggestions

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

my prized vulcanicola had white fly and spidermite so bad i was forced to risk stripping all leaves off it like gerbil.it replaced the leaves qickly and as gerbil said,daily hand cleaning was required for about 2 weeks.after some wetter weather there are no more insects and the plant looks better than ever.must get a photo to share with you all,spiraleyes?

same problem and solution when i used to grow sally.

t s t .

Am I correct in thinking these brugs shed old leaves as they grow??

Please post photos tst!

[ 18. April 2004, 04:10: Message edited by: mescalito ]