The Corroboree
botanika

Burning man

I would love to go to burning man one day. As a designer, artist, musician and hippy at heart it looks like crazy fun! Any SAB crew members been and would like to share their experiences?

I would love to go to burning man one day. As a designer, artist, musician and hippy at heart it looks like crazy fun! Any SAB crew members been and would like to share their experiences?

Hey Botanika,

I went last year and it was just mind blowingly awesome. The absurb effort that people go to to bring something fun or beautiful or just plain nuts out to the middle of nowhere defies explanation. im not talking small things either - random things i passed whilst wandering the desert include an 11 storey tower, a giant motorised rubber ducky, a 20 foot 4-player tetris game, a vat of liquid with explosive bubbles you could ignite by piercing them with a spear, pirate ships, a bowling alley, a roller skating rink, a giant mechanical car with legs and quite literally hundreds of other artworks, installations and random craziness.

no one is paid to bring any of this stuff out there, there is no money and nothing to buy, its all totally voluntary and just done for the hell of it.

so many beautiful, friendly, interesting people as well. a highlight was going to a stage two tents down from where we were staying to see erik davis talk and bumping into sasha and anne shulgin who were sitting in the audience. so many amazing, friendly, beautiful people and such a great vibe - everyone is just focused on making everyone around them have a great time. it truly brings out something wonderful in people. its pretty much like utopia for a week. it was like being on drugs without being on drugs.

if there is anyway you can get there do it, do it do it! without a doubt one of the greatest experiences of my life.

this is a video (not by me) which i really like that captures some of the feel of it.

http://vimeo.com/1959559

Hey Botanika,

I went last year and it was just mind blowingly awesome. The absurb effort that people go to to bring something fun or beautiful or just plain nuts out to the middle of nowhere defies explanation. im not talking small things either - random things i passed whilst wandering the desert include an 11 storey tower, a giant motorised rubber ducky, a 20 foot 4-player tetris game, a vat of liquid with explosive bubbles you could ignite by piercing them with a spear, pirate ships, a bowling alley, a roller skating rink, a giant mechanical car with legs and quite literally hundreds of other artworks, installations and random craziness.

no one is paid to bring any of this stuff out there, there is no money and nothing to buy, its all totally voluntary and just done for the hell of it.

so many beautiful, friendly, interesting people as well. a highlight was going to a stage two tents down from where we were staying to see erik davis talk and bumping into sasha and anne shulgin who were sitting in the audience. so many amazing, friendly, beautiful people and such a great vibe - everyone is just focused on making everyone around them have a great time. it truly brings out something wonderful in people. its pretty much like utopia for a week. it was like being on drugs without being on drugs.

if there is anyway you can get there do it, do it do it! without a doubt one of the greatest experiences of my life.

this is a video (not by me) which i really like that captures some of the feel of it.

http://vimeo.com/1959559

Thanks swarb! Sounds unbelievable. I've seen a lot of photos of the scene - quite incredible with the desert backdrop. I just gotta get some friends interested and start planning for 2010. How did you find it logistically? How easy is it to get there. I would imagine there is some form of communal transport in from nearby areas and then on route I can pick up a tent and an old bmx to cruise around. Did you stay the whole time? I think I would only be able to manage a couple of days including the end. Are a lot of people baked?

I went last year, it was completely legendary.

Much of it reminded me of NNSW, the camaraderie, the general vibe of working hard and playing hard afterwards, though I must say the art there was vastly superior. Art Cars

Had the good fortune ( and luck it was ) to camp with a bunch of the best people close to Centre Camp, which made everything easy to find but was far enough away to get quality sleep

I reckon you should go if you can

4th of JuPlaya sounds more my sort of thing- anyone here been?

How did you find it logistically? How easy is it to get there. I would imagine there is some form of communal transport in from nearby areas and then on route I can pick up a tent and an old bmx to cruise around. Did you stay the whole time? I think I would only be able to manage a couple of days including the end. Are a lot of people baked?

We were incredibly lucky and had some friends in the states who picked us up from the airport and drove us there in a big old ambulance with all the equipment we needed and through these friends were also able to join a large established camp so it was almost guiltfully easy for us.

I think that joining a camp is probably the best way to go - you can find info on these on the burningman site and forums.

What I really would say though is dont just plan to go for a few days! My sister came with us and was really concerned about having to spend a whole week out there but very very quickly changed her tune. It really is that good and there is plenty of places to relax and chill out in style if you need some down time.

Also I have heard that there is a fairly big group of people from melbourne who have funding to take a massive art project over next year (2010). Apparently it is a giant 'birthing woman' with a dance floor in her stomach, cinema in one boob and chillout room in the other. I dont know too many details about it yet but it would most likely be possible to join in with that mission if you are interested :)

I dont know if lots of people were baked.. i guess a lot were, and there was certainly a lot of alcohol but drugs werent nearly as big a part of it as I was expecting. So much fun to be had anyway that getting high just felt like an optional extra most of the time.

We were incredibly lucky and had some friends in the states who picked us up from the airport and drove us there in a big old ambulance with all the equipment we needed and through these friends were also able to join a large established camp so it was almost guiltfully easy for us.

I think that joining a camp is probably the best way to go - you can find info on these on the burningman site and forums.

What I really would say though is dont just plan to go for a few days! My sister came with us and was really concerned about having to spend a whole week out there but very very quickly changed her tune. It really is that good and there is plenty of places to relax and chill out in style if you need some down time.

Also I have heard that there is a fairly big group of people from melbourne who have funding to take a massive art project over next year (2010). Apparently it is a giant 'birthing woman' with a dance floor in her stomach, cinema in one boob and chillout room in the other. I dont know too many details about it yet but it would most likely be possible to join in with that mission if you are interested :)

I dont know if lots of people were baked.. i guess a lot were, and there was certainly a lot of alcohol but drugs werent nearly as big a part of it as I was expecting. So much fun to be had anyway that getting high just felt like an optional extra most of the time.

Thanks for the heads up mate :)

I'm convinced!

I'm going to Burning Man 2010!

anyone going to 2011?

I wish. One of my friends is heading there this year and my brother went last year, but I'm stuck at uni for a while now. Very keen to check it out though, looks like the most incredible festival. Hopefully next or the year after...

anyone going to 2011?

There are a lot of aussies going this year. About 15-20 from sydney and a big camp of 100+ people from melbourne!

Are you going Korky?

There are a lot of aussies going this year. About 15-20 from sydney and a big camp of 100+ people from melbourne!

How do you know that?

wow, i had heard about the group from Sydney (although dont know any of them directly, maybe met a couple at the shpongle gig not sure) but hadn't heard of the hundred from Melbourne! im from melb (but in Nicaragua temporarily so silly not to do a little transit north) am meeting 2 friends from Melbourne in LA to venture to the desert for our first burn. a little excited.

great to know thanks for the heads up will have to do some sniffing around. you going swarb?

hope next year works for you tripsis, i think i will still be in central america then so at this stage hope to get to 2013 myself. maybe see you there...

Where abouts in Nicaragua are you mate? Going across into Guat or Costa Rica? Loved both.

We planned on going to burning man in 2008 but we had family commitments in SoCal (how pretentious that I used that term) so we caught up with some old hippies there instead.

Always wondered why we dont do something somewhere in our own large expanses of desert here in oz? The whole time i was in arizona other than the roadrunner hills i thought I was back up in NT. Other than the flies and psychotic locals...

Always wondered why we dont do something somewhere in our own large expanses of desert here in oz?

Perhaps you just answered yourself...

psychotic locals...

Always wondered why we dont do something somewhere in our own large expanses of desert here in oz?

There is an Australian regional event

http://www.burningmanaustralia.com/

second one will be in November.

For the moment it is held on the east coast but the plan is to move to desert in a couple of years.

Nice. I might go. thanks for the headsup mate. Is it any good though? Fires in a forest are always hairy as well :)

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Nice. I might go. thanks for the headsup mate. Is it any good though? Fires in a forest are always hairy as well :)

last year was spectacular

Where abouts in Nicaragua are you mate? Going across into Guat or Costa Rica? Loved both.

We planned on going to burning man in 2008 but we had family commitments in SoCal (how pretentious that I used that term) :lol: so we caught up with some old hippies there instead.

Always wondered why we dont do something somewhere in our own large expanses of desert here in oz? The whole time i was in arizona other than the roadrunner hills i thought I was back up in NT. Other than the flies and psychotic locals...

Im in Leon in Nica, been here a month, am here until the end of the year. haven't made it to guat yet though one of my two thoughts for next year is to move to a project overthere. only spent a week in San jose for uni exams so cant say i have seen costa rica either.

Have had similar thoughts myself about organising something in aus but expect to be O/S for a few years. brazil could do a burn i reckon, we need a team who's in? :lol: have heard the burn seed in aus is great though this year there seems to have been a lack of communico with date changes etc, not a full bottle on it.

did you get to Nicaragua?

Edited by Korky

eheheheh. the r and the n in burning look like an m, i thought this thread was on buming men..

burning seed looks rad though it's really cool to see stuff like this in Aus, it's kind of close to me too makes me wish i had free time

We were at the border but decided against crossing for a few different reasons - personal safety wasnt one of them although we avoided El Salvador for that reason in a way. We did the rest though. Some awesome sights in Guat - the lakes and the volcanos and even Flores is worth checking out. Only place ive ever seen lighnting in a basically clear day.

Loved Costa Rica - could live there no sweat. its like an earthly paradise in a way. Arenal was a total trip mate - awesome. Then up through mexico - spent a few weeks in Oaxacan highlands and a week in Tepoztlan.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie