The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

47pc of killings involved booze: study

I can't by a gram of dried Sally leaf, but apparently this is OK.

A new report by the Institute of Criminology says alcohol consumption was a factor in almost half of all homicides in Australia.

The research showed that 47 per cent of homicides between 2000 and 2006 were classified as alcohol-related.

Report author Jason Payne says previous research had shown homicides between intimate partners were less likely to involve alcohol.

"What we found was actually the opposite of that," he said.

"Previous research in Australia had actually found that intimate partner homicides, that is those homicides that occur between people in an intimate relationship, were in fact less likely to involve alcohol.

"Our study found that in fact they were equally likely to involve alcohol than when compared to other homicides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07...?section=justin

Is it that alcohol actually makes you more likely to kill, or is it just that 47% of the population is drunk at any one time?

I can't by a gram of dried Sally leaf, but apparently this is OK.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07...?section=justin

does this include driving under the influence resulting in death as technically all these are alcohol related homicide also

nor would it factor in suicide

Unfortunately though if sally was legal miost people would be more then happy to grow their own now we can't have the government missing out on potential tax money( i mean who would pay for all that travel and those parlimentary pensions if they did ) so they think its better that you go and get pissed dispite the downside of needless rage , self harm and death

Unfortunately though if sally was legal miost people would be more then happy to grow their own now we can't have the government missing out on potential tax money( i mean who would pay for all that travel and those parlimentary pensions if they did ) so they think its better that you go and get pissed dispite the downside of needless rage , self harm and death

Off topic: Could make it so you have to pay for a " license". And pay to renew your Sally D license each year. Theirs your problem solved there, to a point I guess.

On topic: This sickens me. because so many have been brainwashed into thinking Alco is "fine", the masses don't rebel against it. Then again, Alco is not to blame, but the people who use it. If these people who abuse alco in this way, moved to other drugs, then it would be no different. They would abuse the new drug they use, and cause the same problems.

Then again who am I kidding? Forget the second thing I sead, and just blame alco and the brainwashing media/government/drug company's :ana:

Off topic: Could make it so you have to pay for a " license". And pay to renew your Sally D license each year. Theirs your problem solved there, to a point I guess.

I fully agree with that idea I would be more then happy to pay to grow sally, kratom & cannabis

On topic: This sickens me. because so many have been brainwashed into thinking Alco is "fine", the masses don't rebel against it. Then again, Alco is not to blame, but the people who use it. If these people who abuse alco in this way, moved to other drugs, then it would be no different. They would abuse the new drug they use, and cause the same problems.

Then again who am I kidding? Forget the second thing I sead, and just blame alco and the brainwashing media/government/drug company's :ana:

Its the whole ideal that people are brainwashed to think oh its not illegal so it must be far safer then anything that is God if some of the people I know consumed as much alcohol as the X they currently consume I think they would be quite fucked up in so many ways IMO sally is an intresting one as i think due to its nature it has very little abuse potential

42% of all the people all the time involve alcohol. usually cheap not very tasty alcohol.

Arent they talking about whether 47% of the population is drunk at any one time? (which i doubt but ive been wrong)

Sorry apo just thought you might be a bit confused.

Peace

If currency didn't exist alcohol wouldn't be in circulation, nor would we be trying to kill each other.

Bit hard to grasp i know, but it is an opinion shared by many.

Really?

Where there are people there is trade - even if it is only barter. Is that what you mean by "no currency"? And alcohol is very easy to manufacture, requiring almost no tech. It's not hard (conceptually at least :wink: ) to put the two together and have a totally non-capitalist society with an alcohol problem.

In any case, even if you were right, we aren't getting to a currency-free state any time soon, so an interim measure is needed. What to do is an interesting question for us here who feel that we have gotten the pointy end of the prohibition pineapple. I'm not sure if ideas like this "Call to ban alcohol sponsorship of sport" are helpful or just spin. While I'm pretty down on booze as a drug of abuse, I'm also very worried about the modern tendency to ban everything.

Really?

Where there are people there is trade - even if it is only barter. Is that what you mean by "no currency"? And alcohol is very easy to manufacture, requiring almost no tech. It's not hard (conceptually at least :wink: ) to put the two together and have a totally non-capitalist society with an alcohol problem.

In any case, even if you were right, we aren't getting to a currency-free state any time soon, so an interim measure is needed. What to do is an interesting question for us here who feel that we have gotten the pointy end of the prohibition pineapple. I'm not sure if ideas like this "Call to ban alcohol sponsorship of sport" are helpful or just spin. While I'm pretty down on booze as a drug of abuse, I'm also very worried about the modern tendency to ban everything.

IMO if other things were legal there would be a nice decline in alcohol related violence and alcohol abuse in general yes of course teverything has a potential for abuse but in saying that a lot of other drugs do not provoke violent tendancies LSD for example if people were throughly educated on setting and the drugs potential to enlighten and expand the mind it could create some quite more pleasnt scenarios then we currently see most weekends , if MDMA was leagal you would have a bunch of happy people running rtound all feeling empathy towards each other etc etc etc etc etc etc

Alcohol doesn't really need to be banned but education and freedom around other things need to be revolutionised in order to stem the decline in social values currently being caused by alcohol abuse

if MDMA was leagal you would have a bunch of happy people running rtound all feeling empathy towards each other etc etc etc etc etc etc

Does anyone actually know the long term effects of taking this man made chemical in high doses every weekend? What if it turns out that our generations grandchildren are all sterile due to our mdma ingestion? Not saying that anything that weird will happen but its not exactly a tried and tested safe in the long term drug is it.

"It's disgusting that even young kids think getting blind drunk every weekend is more than acceptable and a sign of masculinity"

Its sad but something i must admit myself and groups of friends at the time aspired too... :slap:

:lol:

it is fun though

Edited by Uncle Staunch

Does anyone actually know the long term effects of taking this man made chemical in high doses every weekend? What if it turns out that our generations grandchildren are all sterile due to our mdma ingestion? Not saying that anything that weird will happen but its not exactly a tried and tested safe in the long term drug is it.

of course there are side effects. nobody is saying to hit the ekkies hard every weekend. then again as you say, drinking hard every weekend is looked upon as okay, and it has many side effects. it's far from healthy. fuck drinking.

Oh yeah i was just referring to neoshaman saying legalise mdma. Side effects have been seen, but heavy use of it is a very new thing so noone has seen whether or not there are serious long term effects from heavy use (who is to say there won't be?) Alcohol may not be healthy, but we have thousands of years of evidence that it won't cause irreversible changes to dna or anything crazy like that.

Wow imagine if it does cause mutations and 2012 will be when we first start seeing mdma mutants being born :o:lol:

i will be totally jealous (of the mdma mutants).

their mama's nipples will cop a beating though.

i will be totally jealous (of the mdma mutants).

their mama's nipples will cop a beating though.

I guess it depends on how long tem I know of people who have used it quite frequently over 10 or so years without any issues I'm not saying that it doesn't have side effects just overall from what i have seen and read the long term and short term effects are not all that bad compared to the drugs like alcohol and nicotene which our governments deem safe enough to be legal at very worst the most negative effects reported such as damage to memory , liver toxcity and damage to the parts of the brain which take up serotonin (which the brain naturally re-wires ) seems no worse then what alcohol does to a person long term most of the reported damage once again seems to stem from abuse rather then moderate use , which IMO does not indicate the drug to be any more toxic then the myriad of other substances which cause harm to our mind and body when abused which are toatlly legal

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_article2.shtml

Alcohol may not be healthy, but we have thousands of years of evidence that it won't cause irreversible changes to dna or anything crazy like that.

Alcohol does irreversible damage to peoples brains and bodys

Long term use of alcohol obstructs the functioning of immune cell which increase the risk of infectious diseases and cancer. Gastric ulcers and duodenal ulcers are due to prolonged use of alcohol. Alcohol also affects the skeletal and muscular system which reduces the muscle mass in prolonged users of alcohol.

The long term effects of alcohol on the various organs and tissues of the body depend on the quantity consumed and the number of years drinking alcohol. Diet and health are also affected by alcohol. The occurrence of physical damage varies greatly according to the tolerance of the person or the immunity of the person. The development of frontal lobe and the connections of the nerves continue until the age of 16 and as the brain matures an increased rate of energy is used until the age of 20. Damage at this time of life time cannot be recovered