The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Ozric tentacles

I have been a huge fan of the Ozrics since the early 90's and have seen them live copious amounts of times all over the UK...to me they where everything that psychedelic music should be...a band that played psy and with guitars and a real drummer and synths...the light shows are the best I've ever seen, they truly encapsulated everything about psychedelia that I loved...for those that have never heard or seen them the "You tube" links below give you some idea of what I mean about them being a top notch out there freakazoid psychedelic band...when you are there and tripping balls it takes on another realm also...have a look, have a listen and go through their other you tube vids there so you can see what I'm going on about...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtjT8mOQYM...feature=related

go OZRICS..... :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer: :shroomer:

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Your lucky to have seen them.

I have a few of their countless albums and agree they are perfect for that trippy occasion.

Dont know why the guitarist has not got more credit,over the years,as he has great chops.

The Ozrics are the best band to listen to when using psychedelics. :wub:

Well for me anyway. Where legal.

just reminded me i forgot to check back in the music thread for your reply hunab, had a feeling you woulda been amongst it all...i'm quite envious!! would love to see them live, just once. have you had a taste of the new stuff yet?

but yeah, these guys deserve their own thread, incredible band! just the thought of the music puts an afterglow smirk on my face :P

words cannot express...

I wouldnt hold your breath for an Australian tour. There have been (unconfirmed) reports for quite a while that Ed Wynne isn't allowed into the country due to drug charges. I hear this every time "Eat Static" are booked to play here. (Eat Static is Ed's electronica side project - AFAIK when they perfrom here Ed's never with them)

This is all just word of mouth, so I cant vouch for the trueness of the statement.

I wouldnt hold your breath for an Australian tour. There have been (unconfirmed) reports for quite a while that Ed Wynne isn't allowed into the country due to drug charges. I hear this every time "Eat Static" are booked to play here. (Eat Static is Ed's electronica side project - AFAIK when they perfrom here Ed's never with them)

This is all just word of mouth, so I cant vouch for the trueness of the statement.

That's all true unfortunately...I helped do the sound for Static when they played at Gaelic club last year and Ed wasn't here just Merv, but there is another member of Static Joey, and he wasn't here either, instead Merv came with a small entourage of travelers that performed stage performances wearing alien mask's and juggling and other wacky shit...was a great night actually, but as far as Ozrics ever coming here I doubt it because Ed is the main man, it just wouldn't be the same without his flute playing and dreadlocks bouncing all around the stage. Ya'll have to get your ass over to the UK if you wanna see one of the best psychedelic acts ever...it really is worth it and their shows go for hours and hours, just like the cid...mmmmmmm.

H.

That's all true unfortunately...I helped do the sound for Static when they played at Gaelic club last year and Ed wasn't here just Merv, but there is another member of Static Joey, and he wasn't here either, instead Merv came with a small entourage of travelers that performed stage performances wearing alien mask's and juggling and other wacky shit...was a great night actually, but as far as Ozrics ever coming here I doubt it because Ed is the main man, it just wouldn't be the same without his flute playing and dreadlocks bouncing all around the stage. Ya'll have to get your ass over to the UK if you wanna see one of the best psychedelic acts ever...it really is worth it and their shows go for hours and hours, just like the cid...mmmmmmm.

H.

Hell yea. But, um, Ed is principally the guitarist (and of course the Conductor of his own awesome compositions), I believe the flautist you refer to is not Ed.

And Hunab are you/were you in the UK recently ? - if so I wonder if you saw the 9-piece 'real musicians' Shpongle show ?

That was something I wish I were at.

Sorry to get off topic, but I file these two bands in a very similar category, psych-wise (for me). And my file in this category is very small, I wish I knew more of this style of audio vibe.

that's a true shame, but i have and would seriously consider traveling to the UK to see Ozrics one day, i have no other reason to visit the UK but that would make it worthwhile (ok maybe a few other bands too :P)

and just coz we're ozrics geeks....(insert nerd smilie)

Ed is not in Eat Static, it is Merv and Joey's side project (or, what they left ozrics to pursue). Ed and Joey did do Nodens Ictus tho, the more ambient side project.

Ed is def the mainman, but he is guitar/synths primarily as B Loco said, Jon was the flautist, and just fyi he is no longer officially an Ozrics member.

i have heard some oldschool fans complain about it now being the "Ed Wynne Show" rather than the old ozrics band, but i think some people get stuck in nostalgia haha. but shit, some of the new material is the best they've release imo!

if you love Jon, i've heard he is now playing flute with Dream Machine but i haven't heard any of their stuff yet

Edited by ajna

Ozrics Rule!! Jurassic Shift is my favourite, although all their albums are unique and varied. An absolutely mandatory weekly listening experience!

Hunab: you are one lucky bugger aren''t you?

Lol...yes I am a lucky bugger...but you know what when I went travelling I had hardly any money...I basically got my ass to to London and pretty much started looking for work and got work within 2 weeks...I was taking work out of job agencies and they were happy to place me in all sorts of jack of all trades jobs for 6 weeks here and 4 weeks there which was cool because I had intentions of doing more traveling like getting up to Finland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden and over to Russia...so the way I was working was sweet...once I had traveled heaps, with very little money still mind you...I came back to London and worked again...it was a great system really, work, travel, spend and return to work for more money...once I had gotten most of Europe under my belt in 2 years I took more permanent work and traveled the UK following bands and psytrance festivals and parties, mainly following Eat static and the Ozrics because they had it all sown up in that dep't...I had gone along to see Hawkwind a few times too as they are right up there as well, but yeah it was basically work the week for the money to travel around and find the parties and get shot out of a cannon...Eat Static were under the Club Dog label and they had gig at Holloway Uni every month which was across the road from my apartment so I was lucky in that regard...also "return to the source" and Club Alien would fill the gaps in between so I always had some serious Psy to attend and that was basically my whole life for the rest of my time in the UK...following these guys around and meeting Merv, selling Eat static shirts for them in my psytrance store in Camden Markets, helping set up at various venues, running cables and gaffing to the floor etc...was truly a great time...I think the most memorable gig of Ozrics was in London when William Orbit was headlining and Ozrics supported...maybe it was the acid but damn that was some amazing spiraling outta control shit that night...whooooot...still puts hairs up the back of my neck...

I'm sorry to see Jon leave I always got him and Ed mixed up...but Jon was the freaky wide eyed Gypsy on acid up there that every loved so much, he will be missed I'm sure but I s'pose they are getting older now too and like me starting to feel a little burnt out from all the good times, damn there was so many so often I'm not surprised...I haven't heard the new stuff, still listening to their old stuff over and over...I'll get around to listening to the new stuff soon if I can find it...never saw shprongle hey, but seen Ponsford as Hallucinogen about 20 times, he was part of "the return to the source" crew and DJ'ed every other week at their parties, same with Tsuyoshi Suzuki...he was a freak at their clubs actually better than Ponsford I thought...ahhh man what a life that was... every Monday broke as fuck...just enough whiz to last me till Thursdays pay and away we go again...I mighten have 2 coins to rub together now, but I got more memories than I can ever imagine...thanks Ozrics and Static... :wink:

H.

edit....one thing to remember as an Aussie working and living in the UK is that if you work and pay taxes, you are entitled to all your taxes back in the first year...most Aussies will work and hang out for 1 year and then bail, so it's great to get like 2000 pounds back in your sky rocket after a years work...I know when I got mine I was an animal and it really helped with traveling around etc.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Ozrics picture gallery.

post-4860-1247102133_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102145_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102156_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102173_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102188_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102197_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102226_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102240_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102257_thumb.jpg

post-4860-1247102274_thumb.jpg