The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
san p

newby with some questions :)

hi,im pretty new to all this so instead of asking stupid questions all over the place i thought id try to confine them to one thread.

i have ordered a copy of adam gottliebs peyote and other pyschoactive cacti (1997) so hopefully i will learnalot more when that arrives.

1.are trichocereus peruvianus plants all peruvian torch?or is this just one type of peruvianus

2.are all T.pachanoi pyschoactive?

" " T.scuplicola pyschoactive ?

" " T peruvianus pyschoactive?

" " T bridgesii pyschoactive?

3. are t.macrogonus pyschoactive?

4.are there any other trichocereus that are physcoactive?

It seems all your questions are cactus based so I fail to see how they fit into the Ethnobotany forum...having said that I'm quite sure you can find all your answers in that book when it comes and by using the search engine in the cactus section.

H.

Gee you're a nice guy Hunab! And correct too, this is definitely a case of using the search engine in the cactus section. It took me a while to 'get' cacti, I spent a year looking intently at every Cereus I came across, but eventually the information stuck.

Buy Trout's Notes on San Pedro and order the catalog from Sacred Succulents and you will be on your way!

ok point taken.just on abit of a buying streak at the moment and some simple yes no answers would have helped me to combine purchases all into one package for shipping saving time and money.

thanks ill look into buying trouts notes and the ss catalog

pach and bridge are active, that's all i know. most of these guys could have answered your questions but it seems you copped the 'use the search engine' treatment :P

Since TI has put it like we are a bunch of jerks for not answering: the answer to all your questions is yes.

The reason we didn't answer, rather than being jerks, is because we believe that people should try and do their own research before posing a question and generally if they still want to ask they can show some effort that they did in fact try on their own to gain some knowledge.

In this case, you asked a bunch of questions which could have all been answered in one fell swoop by a quick google, and worse you somehow managed to miss the giant link that says "Cacti & Succulents", making it very much seem like you came here to be spoon-fed.

ok fair enough guys.but in defence i thought as the questions related to the activeness of the cactus' this might be the place to post it.feel free to delete the thread all together.

Hi San P! We really try to help newbies as much as we can and we are happy about every member. Next time check the Search Engine before posting and keep the discussions about potency at an absolute minimum. I hate potency talks because they will lead to restrictions one day. If you like cacti, stop talking about it! There are enough threads in the forum about this already. Just take yourself the time to look for them. bye Eg

Since TI has put it like we are a bunch of jerks for not answering: the answer to all your questions is yes.

The reason we didn't answer, rather than being jerks, is because we believe that people should try and do their own research before posing a question and generally if they still want to ask they can show some effort that they did in fact try on their own to gain some knowledge.

In this case, you asked a bunch of questions which could have all been answered in one fell swoop by a quick google, and worse you somehow managed to miss the giant link that says "Cacti & Succulents", making it very much seem like you came here to be spoon-fed.

There is a big YES from apothecary....

and as far as I know its a YES too

sooo much better than sounding like a wanker toff with an answer.. UTSE

Like me though I UTSE to find my answers however I still like to have confirmation from my more experienced peers even though I may be embarrassed to ask for being shut down by

a jerk telling me to use a fukin search engine.

Even if your sick to death by people asking the same question its better to not answer and let some other noob who is keen to help out

We have been through this a hundred times before lickapop. We aren't saying UTSE because we are sick of answering like you imply. Aside from the reasons I originally listed, there is also the issue of information dilution. Imagine if you are motivated enough to do your own research, and you do want to use the search engine. Do you want to hit that one or two good threads which answers your question perfectly because all the information about that topic has accumulated properly there,

or

Have to wade through ten or more threads where little tidbits of information (which lose their usefulness by being distributed like that) are scattered all over the forum? In this case, if planthelper hadn't nicely moved the thread to the correct subforum, it would not even be useful for future noobs to try and find because they would be looking (we assume) in the Cacti forum and it was in Ethnobotany!

There is also the issue (although some might disagree with me here) of over eager noobs giving out advice without knowing whether or not it's factual. This was happening a lot imho over the last few months but luckily seems to have subsided. That sort of "helping out" is pretty worrying to me.

I won't go into potency/activity discussions because EG has covered it succintly. This is an important point and everyone should consider it very hard imo.

Lastly, on confirmation from experienced peers. I see myself as pretty new to the whole world of ethnobotany, and the really experienced ethnobot opines can only be found in the older posts of this forum (if you dig), so if you want that sort of confirmation then the search engine is the only way to go! :wink: Also, as I originally mentioned, we have no issue helping people out if they can demonstrate they have done some homework first, and this is usually demonstratable simply by the type of question asked you don't even have to say "I already UTSE" or whatever.

PS: Please don't call people wanker toffs or jerks just because they didn't feel the urge to spoon feed you some readily available information, especially considering in this case the information requested was hardly speciality and even just typing Trichocereus into wikipedia would have been quicker than starting a thread...

Edited by apothecary

If you like cacti, stop talking about it!

a controversial but good point.

Lickapop, I have the feeling that its a good thing that i dont know what a wanker toff is! But i have a vague idea of the meaning and i dont like it. There is no reason to talk like that! This time i will overlook it though because i dont think that you meant it like it came across!

Have to wade through ten or more threads where little tidbits of information (which lose their usefulness by being distributed like that) are scattered all over the forum?

Apothecary hit the nail on the head here! All these post without content make it harder to find useful information. And informations that arent accessible are lost!

Archaea, your right! Its very sad that we have to keep information confident! We´re living in the dark ages of ethnobotany! Im not a friend of censorship and i hate doing it! But i feel like its the only way to avoid being a potential target. An old guerilla tactic says that the enemy is only able to attack visible targets. So lets not present them any. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

point takin..

I for one have found everything I have had questions for between this forum, ae and others without posting questions.

However I know of some intelligent people who can sit there for hours going through the search engines trawling through the shite trying to find answers with no luck.

My partner for example can sit there trying to find some info for hours where I can find it inside 5min

And I agree with you most definitely on the potency/activity issue. I do not want undue attention drawn to these plants as you do.

San p obviously is keen and has ordered books on the subject however made a blunder posting in the wrong spot and asked the wrong questions.. but I feel a 'not' answering the

question is so much better as it will make one rethink the question.

Its as annoying to me to read UTSE as it is reading the same nub questions over and over.

I hope I didnt offend was not ones intention

Also as I have personally discovered there are pockets of awesome people with wonderful information and discoveries that have never published their finds/work.

So San P if your really keen and it shows and I am not talking about forums and online, get out there and you will find out things you will never learn in UTSE

Edited by lickapop

hi everyone,a kind moderator messaged me with a great link to www.erowid.org ,which answered all my questions.i will defintely research more myself before posting noob type questions and also refrain from "activeness" discusion.

my book "peyote and other psychoactive cacti" arrived today so im a happy man.

this is a great site! thanks

why are people confusing me with other posters this week. ahh well.