The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rabelais

Ethno Beta-Blockers (Fight or Flight)

For some years now GP's have been prescribing non-selective beta-blockers (Propranolol) for people who have a hypersensitivity for the 'fight or flight' response...I guess it would be more commonly referred to as 'stage fright' or hypertension. I believe beta-blockers were originally intended for people with heart conditions...but now has become popular amongst musicians, public speakers etc.

I have been prescribed Propranolol myself for several years. I must say it has been great, and with no side-effects (lethargy is supposedly common in some users)...but I am interested in experimenting with plants which may have a similar effect.

I have done a little reading and the best example of a plant use to combat this is Acorus calamus. But still the information I have found is really nothing more than anecdotal - ancient warriors chewing on the root before entering battle.

Does anyone know of another example besides Acorus calamus?

On a side note...it is interesting how we have these ancient 'switches' hard wired into our brains from our days roaming the plains trying to avoid lions and tigers. I guess they still do have some use in our modern societies...but mostly it's just a hassle.

- Coop

Nice thread I'll follow this one with interest...I thought beta blockers were prescribed for high blood pressure...I don't know much about them but what I do know is that my father has been on these meds for 30yrs or so...Doctors always quiz me about my families hereditary health and they, like me would say to watch my blood pressure if your father has it and your mother is anxious and has hypertension.

So far so good which is amazing really considering...anyways I'd like to know of any natural beta blockers too and will have a look around the web myself too... :)

H.

Terminalia arjuna

Terminalia arjuna extract modulates the contraction of rat aorta induced by KCl and norepinephrine

Yamini B. Tripathi, Biochemistry Section, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221 005, India

ABSTRACT

The bark of Terminalia arjuna is in clinical use for the management of cardiovascular disorders in India. The objective of this study was to investigate the contractile response induced by the extract on rat aorta, a vascular smooth muscle. Terminalia arjuna relaxed the contraction, induced by both KCl (60 mM) and norepinephrine (NE, 3 M). Inhibition was more prominent (80%) in the NE induced contraction than the KCl induced contraction (30%). Under similar conditions diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker (Dz, 1.0 M), inhibited 68% of the KCl induced and 30% of NE induced contraction. Thus it appears that the action of Terminalia arjuna extract differs from that of diltiazem in that it is more specific for alpha-adrenergic receptor agonists. It indirectly inhibited the contraction induced by norepinephrine by acting on K (Ca) channel by hyperpolarizing the smooth muscle membrane.

i personally use beta blocks for public speaking or job interviews.

good stuff, but when i'm on them i find that i get puffed out quite easily even from brisk walking.

but in terms of anxiety disorders e.g. social anxiety or generalised anxiety, from what i've read beta blockers are no better than placebo.

Are these beta blockers easily available? I guess its prescription, so do you have to see a psychologist or will a GP give them out without too much fuss? They sound very useful, that nervous feeling is a real pain before presentations at uni

Easy enough to get from GPs - they tend to be happy to see someone who isn't chasing benzos. My problem is that I already have hypotension and tend to pass out making them pretty useless.

Personally, I wouldn't bother looking for plant based options. It's one of those things where you want a standardised, reliable dose. Pindolol is also good if you have a curious mind...

apothecary

Terminalia arjuna extract modulates the contraction of rat aorta induced by KCl and norepinephrine

Yamini B. Tripathi, Biochemistry Section, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221 005, India

Much obliged :)

faustus

but in terms of anxiety disorders e.g. social anxiety or generalised anxiety, from what i've read beta blockers are no better than placebo.

I have wondered about this myself...it is one of those things that could be all in the mind, so to speak. There are times when I have simply forgotten to take them before a presentation or interview and done fine, not realizing until after the fact...funny. Although I have also read that use over the long-term will have lasting effects on suppressing the symptoms.

Uncle Staunch

Are these beta blockers easily available?

Yup, agree with Alchemica. I asked for them in regards to giving presentations, job interviews etc. GP was more than happy and seemed confident given that I had done my research prior to talking to him. If you have prior problems with low blood pressure and or asthma, then there might be issues. Doc will probably want to check your blood pressure and medical history first.

You take them as-needed - usually about 4 hours before giving presentation etc.

Thanks a lot guys, just hope Peyronie's disease doesn't decide to pop up!