The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Wheelchair bound student dies after eating mushrooms

agree that's why I find it hard to believe that it was galerina that poisioned the lad....Liberty caps are hunted in grass meadows and fence lines in tufts of grass in Autumn....I don't think galerina's are even fruiting at the same time of year as liberties....

From Stamets' Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World (in the Comments section about Psilocybe semilanceata):

Readers should note that woodland Galerinas can coexist in the same habitat as grassland Psilocybes, especially in lands recently converted to pastures.

From THIS site:

Galerina also seems to have a very long fruiting season and fruits multiple times each year from the same mycelium. I think I've found it in every month that we don't have snow.

Galerina and Amatoxin (from HERE):

Many (though not all) Galerina contain alpha-amanitin and other amatoxins.

Galerina containing psilocybin? (from HERE too):

Galerina steglichii is very rare, bruises blue and contains the hallucinogen psilocybin.

NEVER EAT GALERINA MUSHROOMS! I posted the psilocybin information because I think it was previously mentioned in this thread and is something I'd never heard of before. We all know wikipedia can be lacking in credentials, so please DO NOT EVER CONSUME GALERINA MUSHROOMS, EVEN IF THIS IS TRUE.

Essentially, Galerinas could certainly be the culprits in this instance. Being that they contain amatoxins seems to indicate that they are likely to have been consumed due to mis-ID. The bit about one species containing psilocybin is certainly interesting. I think I've drilled it in hard enough that they are not to be consumed :P

Edited by Ace

on recent fields bordering forest (presence of decayed wood in the soil) it is possible to find galerina specimens among Psilocybe semilanceata. That is why it is extremely important to identify all your mushrooms one by one. This galerina problem is more commonly encountered when hunting for woodlovers (same habitat and some similar features like cap color etc)...

exactly: I find galerinas all the time because I mainly pick [edibles, like I said earlier] in woods. To be honest?? I think it's completely stupid to self-pick psiloshrooms without having recognised galerinas a couple of times... Substrate is rotting wood, but hey, you know, the substrate might be burried under the soil... and yeah, they shouldn't be present in a field, but you never know...

Let me say this again-

DO NOT EVER CONSUME GALERINA MUSHROOMS, EVEN IF THIS IS TRUE.

Thanks Ace.

Poor guy, I am with you Hunab the guy or girl that gave or sold him those shrooms would be feeling like a murderer or could be even dead themselves due to eating misidentified shrooms. I feel bad for his mother as it is not the way you would want even your worst enemy to die. Too young to die and espically from a few deadly shrooms...