The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Bull gets even

Old thread, but....

A big Texan cowboy stopped at a local restaurant following a day of drinking and roaming around in Mexico. While sipping his tequila, he noticed a sizzling, scrumptious looking platter being served at the next table. Not only did it look good, but the smell was wonderful..

He asked the waiter, "What is that you just served?" The waiter replied, "Ah Senor, you have excellent taste! Those are bull's testicles from the bullfight this morning. A delicacy!"

The cowboy, undaunted, said, "What the heck, I'm on vacation, I'll have some!" The waiter replied, "I am so sorry Senor. There is only one serving per day because there is only one bullfight each morning. If you place your order now, we will be sure to save you this delicacy for tomorrow"

The cowboy placed the order and the next evening he was served the one and only special delicacy of the day. After a few bites, and inspecting the contents of his platter, he called to the waiter and said, "These are delicious, but they are much smaller than the ones I saw you serve yesterday"

The waiter shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Si, Senor ... sometimes the bull wins."

Old thread, but....

Thats a classic Murray Waters' joke. I remember him telling it on Hey Hey.

I find it interesting that the almost shamanic battle of the hero versus the beastial world that confronts him, from being a personal journey and personal development has been symbolically transposed into the transpersonal realm of the arena and this, you could say existential battle has become almost cheapened into a spectacle to placate the masses: They still go through their right of passage, vicariously without needing to expend any personal effort in the battle, yet they can still exalt the matador and share in his identity of the one that overcomes this force (represented by the bull).

What I'm trying to say is, the mythic poetry of the event and the emotional ecstacy that this evokes is like a simulation of the REAL battle we are fighting each day/ each minute / second, and in some form this victory pats us on our back in a similar way to your local team winning the premiership, but this is a whole nations pride invested in the battle.

There are some subconscious archetypal forces invoked in such spectacles that have a very strong hold of the psyche, as such this is another form of psychic control. Gladiators and todays sport battles are the same.

my 2c.

• Like 1

hmmm, all i will add to that is that at least a football match is a fair battle. a bull has no idea what's going on, the matador knows the drill and has witnessed it a thousand times. sometimes the matador gets fucked but we all know the odds are heavily in his favour. i don't find it even remotely heroic.

now running with the bulls, that is some stupid shit. if you run with bulls you are basically either brave, addicted to adrenalin, or as dumb as a brick.

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

matador arrested for fleeing a bullfight

http://cbs5.com/sports/bullfighter.runs.away.2.1752332.html

my grandfather was a spanish immigrant, and walls of his loungeroom where adorned with Bullfight pics.

the spanish are a weird bunch, they pride themselves on a propensity to reach extreme violence in a matter of seconds, (jeez im really racial profiling here racist that i am) well that was my grandfathers ideation and one he passed onto my oldman as well, that pride in violence.

i remember pop and dad telling me, when i was naturally appalled by the graphic pics of horror that where the bullfight posters, that it was an 'honarable way for the bull to die' and that the bulls where looked upon with 'great honour and admiration' yewww.apparently, akin to the horse and dog racing industry, these bulls are kept EXTREMELY well, bred for the purpose. apparently in a paddok u can walk up to one and pat it. i can see similaritys between bullfighting and the horse and dog racing industrys i really can.

i think before looking upon another foreign countrys custom, we should review the horror and abuse inherrant in our own.

i DO NOT agree nor condone bullfighting, i made up my mind of that from an early age.

but as much horror i feel toward that sport, a much horror i have witnessed in sitting at a racing track and working a TAB.

the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGpftQgRpHw

my biggest hate is steeple chase. its fucking wrong.

i spent close to 5 yrs working in a tab in clubs, ive seen alot of horses put down on te track that have snapped legs. its hideous. ive also seen it personally at the parkes picnic races which convinced me once and for all how fucked the sport is.

anyone saying any differen are the cut from the same silk as the crowd that boos the matador. IMO!

Edited by incognito

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

I simply wanted to make it clear that I feel is hypocrisy to take a its ok stance on one and not on the other (bull fighting) when both can have a high cost on the animals.

my point exacery.

my bias feelings against horse racing i dont feel as unfounded.

i have similar feelings toward the dog industry, which i definately have more experience with the behind the scenes goings on than horse racing, 2 of my uncles being dog trainers.

i really cannot stand for any unnecesary animal suffering.

well, eating red meat indeed any terrestrial animal is unnecessary for wealthy westerners like all of us

especially when you can eat chicken eggs

plenty of healthy vegans living to ripe old ages

i reserve judgment on fish eating

this is just IMHO... if you love animals so much you wouldnt burden the land with live stock production! think of the huge amounts of land cleared of most trees with cattle running on it, eroding it, wildlife being culled to save the grass for stock. most of that land could have been untouched.

find me proof that red meat is necessary for wealthy westerners, you may as well look for benefits of circumcision, all you'll find is a few bullshitting old farts stuck in their ways or crazy religious nutters.

the above video is nasty.

it occurs to me, even though we have these self-serving concepts like "death is instant and painless", wouldn't it be fair once you've mortally wounded a beast to let it die in peace? the horse being dragged by a winch may have been slaughtered moments earlier. isn't it the least we could do to let it lie there as it's consciousness depearts?

i dunno. IMO an animal ethically slaughtered for consumption is a far lesser evil than one who suffers for glamour, adrenalin rush and monetary gain.

i agree totally, i just technically dispute that consuming meat is necessary.

ive a sneaking suspision that you are more than likely right.

asides from what evolution has stated. we have canine, flesh tearing teeth as well as plant chewing molars.

tends to indicate we are designed to be omnivorous.

however i dont doubt for a second, that it is possible to live a healthy life according to a vegan diet and lifestyle.

i really take my hat of to these people, and can only hope that my conciousness will evolve to embrace these ethics and practices.

but again, i eat meat to survive, yes i could chose not to. but then again who says a plant doesnot have a concousness and doesnt, feel pain(in its own 'plant' kind of way, nor appreciate being eaten. i can, but then again cant, see the comparison to an animal suffering and dying for the sake of glamour, adrenalin reushes, prestige and monetary gain.

in a way it would seem to me to be in comparison to walking into a forest and having a woodchopping competition, without utilising the wood. all that bravado, for the 'thrill' and 'prize' at the detriment to the trees.

i know ive posted this link before but i think its a goodun.

My link

The desire to survive can just as easily be for the sake of glamour, adrenalin rushes, prestige and monetary gain. Survival in itself is arguable a pointless activity.

• Like 1

sorry man, i really dont understand what you are trying to say.

survival a pointless activity?

the other one i get, but wouldnt you agree that that line of conciousness/thinking may/does play a factor in why the world/environment is in the dire state that it is in?

im not being rude at all, but im asking if you would mind expanding on the above statements?

xfgdfg

Edited by Teljkon

tell that to the horse whose 400kg body or whatever is pressing down on a shattered shin bone protruding from its skin.

im sure hes feeling very zen :slap:

ah okay. have u been in a fight?

overcome with joy??

man seriously...

thanks for making me feel so very sane.

The desire to survive can just as easily be for the sake of glamour, adrenalin rushes, prestige and monetary gain. Survival in itself is arguable a pointless activity.

(in my best keanu reeves voice)

woah

good catch.

unnecessary yes (pointless was your word not mine).

i identify with death, and nothingness. i tend to think nothing is the most natural state, the only reality that isn't paradoxical, and its imminent. however, we, consciousness, chose to enact this drama, to get lost and found in a hyper-maze while fanning the flames of existence higher, into some cosmic crescendo. i believe perhaps, as many eastern mystics do, that human life offers a chance to transform which, if ignored/refused, will simply be offered again and again.

asdad

Edited by Teljkon