The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eexpee

Shrooming???

Hey, I'm kinda a newbi to the whole shrooming thing, but I was wondering if any locals would wanna help out in picking and identifying 'edible'.... mushrooms? Ive had experience in the easiest mushrooms like amanitas, but that's about the extent of what I would trust myself with identifying. Any takers?

If this thread is not appropriate PM me or something.

Tim

Try using the search engine, plenty of info already.

For a start the "melbourne finds" thread has pictures, and someone recently posted a nice description of what to look for in some thread.

I think what he is trying to say is would someone take him picking around where he lives and show him some spots and identify some subs...problem is man most people won't want to help you in that regard and like to keep their patches to themselves for self maintenance..do your research more and try looking at maps of forests around where you where live and go walking and deep into them and just start looking...in between say Sydney and the mid north coast there's a hell of a lot of wonderful bushland to explore...you will need the right conditions and some form of identifying them ...get yourself a field guide and read as much as you can in the mycology section here...people will not simply tell you where to go and tell you what to pick....not going to happen...all of us have had to look and do our our own research before we ever found what we are looking for...be patient and start your research and read some and read some more.

good luck.

Guess it was worth a try. But I understand. Its hard to get around as I don't have a car, but as I remember someone saying here, they will find you when your ready, so I will get searching and hopefully I will find them and find me.

Yeah man like Hunab said, use the time to research. If you find something (anything) this season, consider yourself very lucky! Don't let that put you off looking, I've learnt that all mushroom finds help to educate and add to your experince, help you know what to look for, what to avoid etc. This forum has all the answers to your questions, especially those you haven't asked yet. Read and it will all get obvious pretty quickly... and for fucks sake make sure you know how to ID properly. People here are really helpful, but personally I like to trust what I know and have learned over time.

Yeah, that's what i'm worried about, not being able to identify properly. Not interested in taking people's spots (not that that's going to change anything) just worried I could fuck up if I didn't have a second opinion...

Do subs have darkish brown fibers inside the stalk? Because when I was at the mountains last I picked some mushrooms that I thought could have been subs, but I wasn't sure and didn't have a field guide so I just left them. If I can find the cord that links my phone to the comp then i'd post the pics I took....

Yeah I am just starting out as well man and went to a national park on sat for a search and had no idea what I was looking for really for except 'blue bruising' stems. So I took everything I could grab however...after mixing them up in a shopping bag for a few hours I got home and the thought of consuming any of them was scary so I have ordered a field guide this one is ment to be the best but thier are cheaper ones around.

http://www.amazon.com/Psilocybin-Mushrooms...e/dp/0898158397

I hope it comes soon cause I am getting hungry!

good luck comrade!

So I took everything I could grab

So I hope at the very least this experience taught you something... :slap:

Yeah I am just starting out as well man and went to a national park on sat for a search and had no idea what I was looking for really for except 'blue bruising' stems. So I took everything I could grab however...after mixing them up in a shopping bag for a few hours I got home and the thought of consuming any of them was scary so I have ordered a field guide this one is ment to be the best but thier are cheaper ones around.

http://www.amazon.com/Psilocybin-Mushrooms...e/dp/0898158397

I hope it comes soon cause I am getting hungry!

good luck comrade!

please don't remove any fungus that you don't need its wasteful and unnecessary...and don't eat anything ...geeze I'm getting worried about some of you around here ...there will a poisoning soon ....just fucking chill and stop being so impatient.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

heheheh 40...well at least all mine are all useable and it's not 40 ...it's up to 120 gms now thank you kindly.... :wink: ...but moi is taking a well earned break now for a while cause he gone a little over the top lately...I'm just worried about some of these people desperate to eat anything they think is a psychedlic shroom ...scares the shit outta me that they would risk it...I'd rather risk doing 30 gms of subs than 1 gm of some unknown shrooms.

H.

I think what he is trying to say is would someone take him picking around where he lives and show him some spots and identify some subs...

Oh sorry, my mistake.

120g?? Surely you're talking wet weight.. Which is still ~12g?.. Which is still a fuckload..

tend to agree with you there Hunab. It is really important that you are sure of what you are picking. If you are anything less than 100% sure that what you have picked is what you are after - DONT FUCKING EAT IT! Research, research, research and then do a bit more research and then maybe go for a few hunts and see whats around and take some spore prints. Dont just pick random mushrooms that look kinda 'magical' and eat them. Some mushrooms cause DEATH, I'm sure someone else can elaborate but the poisons in Galerina's and death caps cannot be reversed. The only hope you have is to get a liver transplant within something like 24 hours or so... and fat chance of that.

Not worth it dudes. Sorry for the rant but really am concerned and think that there is enough info out there to become educated before experimenting. May as well make use of the internet freedom we have at present anyway.

Following is wiki stuff on Galerina:

How to create a mycomorphbox

Mycological characteristics for

Galerina sp.

gills on hymenium

cap is convex

ecology is saprotrophic

edibility: deadly

[edit] Identification

The extreme toxicity of some Galerina species means that recognition of Galerina is of great importance to mushroom hunters who are seeking hallucinogenic Psilocybe. Species like Galerina marginata may bear a superficial resemblance to Psilocybe cyanescens and other Psilocybe species. Galerina can be distinguished from psilocybian Psilocybe by the following characteristics:

* Spore print color: blackish-brown to lilac-brown in Psilocybe, light brown to rusty brown in Galerina. Spore color can be seen by taking a spore print or by looking for evidence of spore drop on the stipe or on surrounding mushrooms.

* Staining reaction: Psilocybian Psilocybe fruiting bodies stain blue to varying degrees when bruised, while Galerina do not. The strength of this reaction varies with the amount of psilocin present in the tissues of the mushroom. Fruiting bodies with little psilocin will stain weakly if at all, while sporocarps with a high psilocin content will stain strongly blue. Only one rare Galerina has blue-staining tissue, though in some cases the flesh will blacken when handled, and this may be misinterpreted as a bluing reaction.[8]

Although these rules are specific to the separation of Galerina from certain Psilocybe, since mixed patches of Psilocybe and Galerina can occur, it is essential to be sure of the identity of each sporocarp collected.

Galerina also present some risk of confusion with several species of small edible mushrooms, notably Kuehneromyces mutabilis[citation needed] and candy caps (L. camphoratus and allies).[9][10]

i don't think he is, but there's already a thread for telling hunab off because he uses high doses of tryptamines and he's taking a break anyway.

eexpee, try to take good photos (hopefully your phone has a decent camera) and post them in the mycology identification subforum. shouldn't 100% rely on people's guesses based on your photos but it's better than nothing.

Be mindful that when people say 'be patient', it could very well be a few years of thorough hunting before you find anything. I've been hunting for the elusive sub for about 3 years now and still have been unable to find it. The upside to that is, I've learned how to ID its lookalikes quite well, as well as finding edibles such as Saffron Milk Caps (I've eaten so many this season and have about 300gms dried in the cupboard for fancy recipes! YUM!) and many Fly Amanitas (never interested in consuming those, but damn, they are a majestic sight to see). There is a Coprinus comatus (another edible) just 2 mins walk from home which I'm thinking I might try cultivating, if I get around to working with it before it turns to sludge.

The point I'm making is, be patient. There are so many wonderous fungi to find and learn about that make subs all the more mystical. When the day comes it will just be all the more special.

P.S. if there was a book I'd recommend for anyone with a keen interest in mushrooms, it'd be Roger Phillips' 'Mushrooms' and for those hunting actives, Paul Stamets' 'Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World'.

All the best!