The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
austin

peculiar green tinge

Question

came across this bunch of mushies the other day. my camera didn't fully catch the colour but they have this funky lime green tinge to the stem, gills and edge of cap. i've tried to get habitat, gills, cap shape, grouping etc. in the pics. didn't think to take one for spore print though. there were a few clumps of them, all growing around this stump. pine i think it was.

anyone have any ideas on what these could be?

e6t6om.jpg

14wrfh3.jpg

xm4dp3.jpg

2kg49g.jpg

5 answers to this question

Yeah Ive been seeing them clumping every where subs grow..they love to clump and especially around the base of fallen trees etc...they do give a blue tinge around the edge of the edge which is very pretty ....but when you go to pick one they are very soft and crumble easily and the stem is hollow and fragile....no idea of the name or if they are poisonous or not but I only ever admire them now and never take them or touch them any more....I gotta get myself an Australian Fungus ID manual so I can help out with ID 'ing around here because I have seen hundreds of variety the last few weeks and it's frustrating not knowing the species...I have borrowed Mycelium Running from a friend but it doesn't give a lot of info on mass identification.

nice photos BTW

H.

EDIT...by the way I have only seen these mushrooms around where subs grow...so you might very well be in the right area for subs...those conditions look nice to me.

Edited by Hunab Ku

im thinking something from the genus Hypholoma. there are a few species that have distinctive greenish yellow gills on younger specimens which become darker as spores mature.

edit: should have a purple-brown spore print if that's the case

Edited by genki

EDIT...by the way I have only seen these mushrooms around where subs grow...so you might very well be in the right area for subs...those conditions look nice to me.

i love my super macro. i gotta be more steady tho, long shutter times in the dark i guess.

anyway

the note about the subs is an interesting surprise. i didn't see any, but being my first season with an active interest in these things, i'm really not sure if it's subs time around here quite yet. it's a good place for muscarias as well. of which a FOAF had two failures with, once too weak and once either way too strong, or (more likely) not heat treated long enough.

edit: should have a purple-brown spore print if that's the case

i'll grab one for a spore print next time i'm around there

thank you for the reply, both of you.

spore prints are pretty handy for identifying mushrooms. you've got a much better chance of getting a solid id for most mushrooms with one.