The Corroboree
ThunderIdeal

trance dance and all that

Nice topic, haven't commented so far. This loopy periods like day, year, mooncycle and also biological loops like birth growing, breeding, death can be somewhat linked with repetitive rhythms from stone age, tribal drumming to modern teknoid muzik, yeah, what woof implied.

Foaf says he has a 100% of success entering a satisfactory trance / excastic state with couple of beers and some cannabis while musical jamming in a session of a particular melodic/monoclimactic/rhythmic ambient approach he has introduced to the friedly jamming trio he is occasionally playing with.. It usually consists of 2 keyboards, one more old school and other more modern futuristic and dirtier with effects and delay and then an electronic drum or a rhythm classic guitar...

He is getting this much too easily if the comrades in the act synchronise and peak together after some 3-4 mins of jamming... the circles of this go on from 10-15 mins to even an hour of continuous jamming, the chemistry between foaf and the other keyboardist is great, and may I add, all three , even the two keyboards play very very rhythmic stuff and very often loopy and continious and repetitive, changing slowly during each cycle...

foaf never says no when this thing is proposed! and they always have a great time

Maybe its all simply inside your head ! :wacko:

From www.manticeye.com

Source: Pravda

March 2006

Music playing in the head is a familiar feeling, isn't it? We all know that some songs maybe so catchy that our mind keeps playing them on and on. All of us have tried to get rid of Britney Spears singing in our head. Everlasting sound that comes is of from some outer source is another matter. It is a big problem.

"Music hallucination is a serious problem. It doesn't let people sleep and think," says British psychiatrist Victor Aziz who together with his colleague Nick Warner drew the attention of other scientists to a pshychopatological problem of music in one’s mind.

Most of the people who suffer from this hallucination are elderly. Songs that emerge suddenly in their mind usually come from the outskirts of their memory. Some hear Italian opera that was once the favorite music of their parents. Others have to listen to hymns, jazz or pop songs.

Some get used to this music and even enjoy it, but these are a rare exception. The majority of such people try to stop the music: they close the windows and doors, use earplugs or sleep with a pillow on the head. Of course, none of these help.

Meantime, music hallucination is not a new phenomenon. Famous composer Robert Shuman, for instance, had music hallucinations at the end of his life. He claimed to have been writing down music that he was hearing from the ghost of Shubert.

However, these hallucinations were not considered disorders for a long time. There were attempts to connect music hallucinations with a whole range of factors including aging, deafness, brain tumors, overdosing with some medicine and even liver transplantation.

Still, it was always clear that music hallucinations must be separated from other similar hallucinations (such as voices or visions) because a person may here melody without any other changes in perception of reality.

The first important research into music hallucinations was conducted in a Japanese psychiatric clinic in 1998. The results showed that six out of 3678 patients were hearing music in their heads. However, these results could not show the real situation as all of the patients had some kind of mental disorder.

Japanese psychiatrists and their followers (who were few) discovered that our brain processes music through a unique net of neurons. First, the brain makes a zone around ears active. This zone starts processing sounds on their basic level.

Then the processed signals are passed to other zones that can perceive more complicated features of music such as rhythm or melody. Listening to the music can be really annoying

It turned out that this net of neurons can start malfunctioning without any adverse effect on other brain zones.

British scientist Timothy Griffiths from Newcastle University Medical School followed researchers who started working in this field. Last year he studied six elderly patients who started hallucinating when they became deaf.

The scientists discovered that several brain zones became more active during music hallucinations. The result was puzzling for the doctor. “I saw a picture almost similar to that of ordinary people listening to music”, Griffiths admitted.

The main difference according to the expert is that music hallucinations activate only those parts of brain that are responsible for converting simple sounds into complex music.

According to Griffiths, brain zones that process music are constantly looking for models in signals that come from ears. As these zones need a melody they amplify certain sounds corresponding to music and minimize extra noises.

When there are no sounds coming into ears these brain zones may use occasional impulses or signals and try to form some kind of structure going through memories. Thus, several notes may turn into a familiar melody.

For most of us it will mean reproducing a song that will then leave our mind, because a constant flow of information that our ears receive suppresses music. Deaf people do not receive this flow of information. That is why they can hear music all the time.

This is not only a problem of deaf people, though. British medical experts say that about 10000 people at the age of 65 suffer from this hallucination. Aziz and Warner analyzed as many as 30 cases of such disorder (an average patient was 78 years old and a third of them was deaf).

The results showed that women hear music more often than men. In two thirds of cases elderly people hear religious music. Aziz thinks that people will have hallucinations of pop and classical music in the future-it depends on what they listen to day by day.

Psychiatrists think that music hallucinations take place when people are deprived of surroundings rich in sounds, become deaf or live in isolation.

When there are no sounds supplied by ears the brain starts producing impulses that are interpreted as sounds. Then it resorts to the help of memories about music and here the song starts.

Aziz claims that music hallucinations are also common among young people. The thing is that we just do not know about this. The scientist found a 28-year-old American who got used to music hallucinations and even considers them a source of comfort: music in his head reflects his emotional state.

“It is playing in the background like a soundtrack,” says this young man. “Sometimes this melody stops which makes me feel unconfident as if I am suddenly in the wrong place in the wrong time. It seems that something is not right”.

At the moment music hallucinations are considered a rare disorder. However, according to Aziz, they can become a common case as modern man lives in the world overwhelmed with music (consider a new invention: a toothbrush that transmits music through the jaw!).

Music is everywhere – it is not only in your Walkman, radio or TV-set, but in elevators, gyms, shopping centers and streets as well. It will not come as a surprise if it starts playing in our heads. Let’s hope it will not be Britney

Edited by santiago

santiago i'm not sure how that relates to the topic but it's very interesting. have you ever been in a car with the stereo turned down low, and your brain can't identify the track? in this scenario personally, when my brain has decided which song it might be i can REALLY hear that song out of the low sounds, then the car slows down or whatever and i realise that i was way off, but honestly i will have heard sounds that weren't there.

and mutant that's cool, i'm a bit jealous.

Thunder, yes i do go sideways on topics sometimes ,tribal beats are known to alter brainwaves, could assist the shamen or similar to enter the spirit realm which could be compared to hallucinations which then led me to research music which can make you hallucinate. I saw somewhere years ago that the in the future music, or certain types of it could be manipulated to create real hallucinations. How this works i dont know, tst may have an explanation. I suppose it might in theory be a frequency which alters brainwaves to effect brain chemistry. As i have posted before in that tst tantra thread a computer, download a brainwave generator and a flasher program and run them both together can screw with your mind, good and bad...so the potential is there.

i think you mentioned 'telepathic' in your OP so i thought you might find the internal brain music interesting, ill go back to searching future music that makes listeners hallucinate.

twirl, just twirl...

get high, get shanti and twirl..visit the visions, through the doorways you can imagine a reality for...through windows opened for you to learn.

Small room DnB, 25% mix changa, slow toke, slow toke...the amorphous beast of diamond body perfection comes alive and the calibration of the being becomes unity.

the moral of the story...most people look like they are trying to trance dance...twirling is inevitable mystical experience...learn whilst drunk.

peacefully...

p.s this was a far more complex post that has been deleted by the universe 2 times before so that's the nitty gritty. ahah.

watch black eyed peas...boom boom pow...for a nice tryptamine dance sequence..

i'll add the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F444CELomo

Edited by reptyle

Ive had the experience of hearing distant music... it sounded like the most awsome cut up break beats.. ameny style complex rhythms... and as I got closer to the sound, realised it was something bouncing around in a washing machine.

Recently at a hardhouse rave i went into a complete, deep trance. It was the powerful and probably the most significant event of my life.

Before this rave i was on my way becoming a depraved druggie, i was spending all my money on E, meth and other shit just for raving. I knew it was a bad path but fuck it was too much fun.

Before you read this just note, i was pretty high - i had never thought about any of this stuff before. It was totally 'out of the blue'.

Well this night, i took an average dose of mesc a few hours before the rave - as i felt it come on at the rave i dropped my first pill. I felt nothing for ages, i was wondering if i had bought bunk product. Then slowly i felt something stirring, then e kicked in and i was away dancing. But this fucker grunted hard, within about 15 min i was pretty high. As it came on i started dancing strange, i started stomping the ground and waving my arms through the air like the native american eagle dance. The stomping of the ground to me was me connecting to the earth and our collective ancestors energy and my arms soaring like wings was me connecting to the energy of heaven and god, thus me bridging the two worlds and feeding from the energy.

As the drugs came on stronger i danced harder and with more purpose (i must have looked like a retard lol) then all of a sudden i stopped dancing and i drifted away into a zone i have never been. All of a sudden i was talking directly to god (a strange thing for me as being an atheist at the time). I would ask him a question and he instantly replied, not with words but with 'knowing' - hard to describe. And what i was told made alot of sense, it was all about religion and what being truly religious means. That most people who call themselves religious today do not have a single strain of godliness in them. They only believe in god to justify their lives and actions, to be truly godly is to believe in god for higher reasons than yourself. Basically i was told the complete opposite of what most christians believe.

Luckily i wrote most of it down into a word doc when i got home, which i still have. If anyone is interested,

hahaha Foton! yeah.... had that happen to me with numerous things........ sometimes when I let my fantasy at it when in the boat... 2 big catipillar diesel engines ...... I hear the sickest wickedest music in my mind

this is a bit off topic, but i'm definitely not the only one who wishes there were some doofs based on a different template, or at least attracting a different breed of punter. maybe this is a pointless sentiment as life is what you make of it and so is a doof.

trying to keep the thread alive really. glad to see another post that in some way aligns with my opening post.

Its close to happening near Canberra,

where 'private parties' will be happening 2-300 ppl, all hand picked psychonauts and dabblers or adepts of consciousness technologies. Im sick of seeing dreadlocks with no heart inside them, or hectic confused vibes that dont lend to the real purpose of the T.A.Z http://www.hermetic.com/bey/taz_cont.html

This will be supported with healing tents, and small local social circle talks and sprit coaching stuff.

Anyhow- what breed of punter are you looking to attract?

We're thinking of aligning the doof at the beginning with yoga, and chigung classes- shared meals and coaching stuff, and integrating some freestyle ritual relating to the goals of the participants. But this happens eveywhere doesnt it?

On other notes- I dont like thinking too much about it- I just dance. The most liberating dance I can find, is joining my imagination with my body. The 'highest' states I can reach, are right here and now inside my own body- and its supported with visualisation of the body and how i want it to move..

with

breath, energy, visualization- all inside the looping beats, and elevating rythms.. That's about all I reckon a person could want really. The rest explains itself.

Edited by G*P

hey ti,have you listened to 'shamans breath' yet?

professor trance and the energizers!

t s t .

t s t .

tshh tssh ahhhhh tshhh tshh ahhhh

hey foton, i'm just having a listen to your mix right now & its bringing some really nostalgic feelings back. has the real old Goa vibe to it. takes me right back to the nineties haha :) are these track contemporary? or old? i hate to say it though, theres some pretty sloppy mixing in there (hope i don't sound like a cunt, just my criticism)...

um i haven't read this whole thread... i used to be very big into the nsw psytrance thing. haven't been that into it for a while now, diversity is the spice of life n'all i say . i still love a bit of psytrance now & then though. i used to often spend over ten hours straight dancing non stop & journeying into my psyche using thumping psytrance like a river on which i set my little boat adrift (thats the analogy i always liked anyhow).

i can relate to what adrienpsy said about psytrance being very spiritual & making you feel like no other music can. i used to feel very much like that when i was younger! i still love a lot of it but a little while back i just felt it was time to move on & see what else is out there (or in here) to experience. well that & the fact that after i started DJing & producing my own music i became too critical of what the dj was playing & doing. i couldn't let myself go & journey into myself unless i thought the dj or performer was really good.

it's been said over & over but around the time i kind of stopped going to doofs full time i felt there seemed to be a growing sense of pretense & paranoia amongst a lot of people at the parties. also many of my friends from that scene (many who are still my good friends BTW) were becoming increasingly more & more trashy & more into seriously fucked up chemicals.

IMO meth has a lot to answer for when it comes to the demise of the psytrance scene.

all that said, this is just my subjective experiences at a specific time in my life & i'm sure there are some absolutely amazing parties still going on all the time that i'm missing out on

but yeah, even though i don't go to that many parties these days (i still go now & then) whenever i listen to good psytrance something inside me really gets tweaked & makes me feel amazing. the music & the people & the experiences meant & still mean a great deal to me.

Edited by xodarap

edit...

I'm going to dj at a party this weekend. I'm as giddy as a school girl.

yeah yeah, meth is to blame. the devil drug. psychedelics make people angels. especially in such parties :P

lol

Edited by mutant

I didn't think meth use/abuse was that common in the psy scene. I mean I've heard of it being used by a couple of different people but not that much at all. Maybe because I'm still young and have only been to a few doofs so far.. I perhaps haven't truly scene the inner workings so to speak of the scene. In my opinion though, I reckon the psy scene is just like any other scene.. you'll get posers and douchebags but you live and everyone still has a great time. I've heard the NNSW parties are pretty lame these days though.

apparently lots of nnsw parties get inundated with fuckheads who start trouble, and apparently these people are ice fueled.

i hate to see the drug itself demonised, but many people can't control their actions when they start taking certain drugs and more meth probably didn't do the scene any favours.

adrian it's more common than you think, and don't assume there's anything wrong with all of the people doing it........ i mean i'd probably credit it for the way organisers and core crew manage to run weekend long events. while most people are happy to flash practically any drug or drug implement near the dance floor, ice is usually smoked discretely.

t s t .

this album is instructions for trance dancing.......frank natale.....he recommends covering your eyes with a bandana....i usually find too much external stimulation at doofs stops me going inward and peaking,so i just plateau for a long time.i find it unsatisfactory!

t s t .

Anyone in Perth who has been into Northbridge on a Friday or Saturday night would have probably seen a dark bloke(unsure of ethnicity) sitting just up from the Aberdeen playing drums , wearing Jamaican style clothing(green red yellow) with Bob Marley and Cannabis leaves on them.

Listening and dancing with my eyes shut(while under the influence of alcohol only) to this man (until I was made to move on despite the fact that he told the police officers that he welcomed my acquaintance) made me feel somewhat of an elevated state, I was speaking to him and he was a very spiritual man, expressing himself through his music.

Anyone who comes across this guy i recommend listening to his messages through music, I am not normally one to dance(as i can't lol) but hearing him allowed me to forget anyone was watching(or any problem/concern for that matter), close my eyes, and what felt like, letting him control the movements of my body by what he was playing.

Worth Noting that as you started off this thread with Krustys article, he will be doing another Trance Dance Workshops at 2009 EGA;

Masquerade Corroboree - An experimental Sayonara PSY Soiree

http://www.entheo.net/KrustyMasqueradeCorroborree.pdf

Edited by RonnySimulacrum