The Corroboree
blip

Urgently need suggestions for fishing spots for tomorrow.

Edited by lsdreamz

If I was you I would call a fishing shop early in the morning and see what they say - they will be able to give you lots of advice. maybe you could go for an dusk/evening fish.

Yeh and you'll probably end up driving out of the city by a ways to central coast (north or south).

Peace

There's a ferry stop/jetty/wharf etc.. on Sydney Harbour, west of the bridge on the east side, it's called Chiswick or Chisick,

excellent place for small Jew fish and Squid too sometimes.

It is down hill from the road but, I think there is a ramp, it's a public ferry stop...

If I remember correctly it's pretty Wheel chair friendly.

Should be able to find it on a map of the 'Circular quay to Parramatta' route.

Edited by lsdreamz

Nice work. I used to do a lot of fishing around Palm Beach 10 - 15 years ago but didn't tend to catch too much. Hopefully your successes mean that there are more fish out there now? Or maybe you just have madder fishing skills :)

First one looks like a leatherjacket to me.

fuken hell that shits me people that dont fish who go out and catch a bag full of delicacys like u have!!!!

nah just kidding well done! hope yas had a great day!!! wish it was me!!!

glad u found a spot!

1st fish is a leatherjacket (yum)

2nd looks like a baby bream

3rd is a flounder (yumo)

4th looks like another variety of leatherjacket!!

looks like u have a hidden talent for the piscatorial side of things!

Edited by lsdreamz

hey nice one lsdreamz,

leatherjacket are good fun and good eating from memory, ate alot of one specific type as a kid when we used to fish down a few hours south of melbourne.

They like pilons a lot so dropping the line straight down off piers can get them nicely and yeah as you said strong bait like squid is good as they really jab and hit hard.

We used to hold the fish by the belly and press the side of the spine into deck to snap it towards you, they are easy to skin as it's very leathery and in one piece, to gut just run knife down belly from neck to tail, then just drop the knife behind the hard bony bit at the top of the head go straight down then sorta towards the front which should give you a good clean portion of flesh.

I suppose ethically you probably don't want to snap the spine and would be better to dong on the head or take the knife behind the head and be careful not to get hit with the spine, or the teeth. else snap it and quickly take it out after.

Edited by gerbil

I hope you have a fishing license too, wouldn't want to get caught by the fuzz...

Bastards try and control all of the fun things.

I went out fishing the week before in my boat around the same area. It was dismal. The leatherjackets in the last two photos are in plague proportions. What's worse is they are not content to just steal your bait, they bite thru the line so you lose hook line and sinker!! (who said they were fun?!?)

I went out fishing the week before in my boat around the same area. It was dismal. The leatherjackets in the last two photos are in plague proportions. What's worse is they are not content to just steal your bait, they bite thru the line so you lose hook line and sinker!! (who said they were fun?!?)

use a trace! :rolleyes:

theyre not only fun they are yum!!!

i used to catch them by the doz with my grandpa from the warf at wagstaff (near woy-woy). We would take them home and crumb them and fry them up in the pan with a bit of lemon. delish.

most humane way to kill a fish i have found is to just cut their throat (beneath their gills) with a sharp blade. always good to bleed a fish for consumption, some sp more than other..tailor and salmon for instance.

leaving them to suffocate ive always found rather barbaric.

Edited by lsdreamz

Btw i just remembered one of the fish shit on my hand when i was holding it.

geez thanks for that detail :P

Edited by lsdreamz

use a trace! :rolleyes:

theyre not only fun they are yum!!!

i used to catch them by the doz with my grandpa from the warf at wagstaff (near woy-woy). We would take them home and crumb them and fry them up in the pan with a bit of lemon. delish.

most humane way to kill a fish i have found is to just cut their throat (beneath their gills) with a sharp blade. always good to bleed a fish for consumption, some sp more than other..tailor and salmon for instance.

leaving them to suffocate ive always found rather barbaric.

a trace would not have helped even if id wanted to catch the little bastards. they were biting the line six feet from the end. id also be embarrassed tracing up for leatherjacket...

i'm not sure about cutting them below the gills - it's not like they have lungs or carotid arteries. most humane way i've found (although you can't exactly get feedback from a fish) is with a good firm club over the head or a knife straight in the brain. Flounder, however, seem really hard to kill with any method (i think there brains are so tiny and mislocated its hard to find).

six feet from the end. id also be embarrassed tracing up for leatherjacket...

huh? how does that work? long shank hooks then? how the hell do they bite 6 ft up the line? unless they are swimming around biting aimlessly?

i'm not sure about cutting them below the gills - it's not like they have lungs or carotid arteries

hmmm i was of a mind this was the fishes 'throat'. how i was taught to dispatch them and the fish dies instantly!u know that section of flesh that is underneath the gills? so hard to describe fishes anatomy.

anyways this is a tad mormid and i will soon be flayed by hippys.

...unless they are swimming around biting aimlessly?

nailed it.

and it gets real boring (and expensive) continuously re-rigging...

leatherjackets are such boring fish as far as fighting goes and they are passive as...my mum caught 43 one afternoon in our boat when I was a kid we ate leatherjackets for a week...they are easy to skin..cut straight down from right behind the spine down to its guts..pull the guts out and then just peel the skin up with your fingers and tear the whole jacket off as one...it's amazing it actually has a jacket and it comes off as one thing and then you have your cleaned ready to eat fish.

That striped one is some sort of parrot fish and the second one is a little squire or baby snapper...part of the bream family...and the other is a flounder...flounder and leatheries are really nice eating actually very soft sweet white meat ...flounder should be cooked wrapped in foil in the oven with lemon and olive oil and some parsley...leatheries just pan fry em...parrot fish just throw em back and the little squire goes back till he is 8 inches from memory is the legal size on those.

H.

no way hunab thats a bream. not a snapper.

and thats not a parrotfish,,,its a sp of leatherjacket.

i do not know very much about anything in this life but if there is one area that i do feel comfortable its naming fish sp.!!!

parrot fish excist only in the tropical waters, and you can hear them when you go snorkling in a reef, because they make a gnarring sound munching on the coral. traditional they get caught in tidal traps and finished off with the spear.

if bait stealers are a problem, make the bait tougher (as you did) and (that is the fun part) make some of them bait themselves. just keep the smallest of the bait stealers and use them as life bait.

for this it's best to use a trace and a big hook plus smaller keeper hook.

the big hook gets placed thru the top of the fish and the keeper at it's tail.

i prefere hand casters to rods unless i am bait casting or spinning a lure.

handcasters are cheap and take only little space and you can have some with very thin lines for catching bait fish like mullet and realy thick lines for your live bait lines.

i used to go fishing a lot with my son and he caught quite often his own supper with just five years of age!

my son and i would go and catch first mullet in the lagoons with dough and the smallest hooks possible, than we used the mullet as live bait to catch flathead, or taylor if around.

catching your own bait saves a lot of money aswell, so allways keep some of your last not table fish as bait for the next time.

and i don't know what a poster means by fishing licence, fishing in the sea doesn#t need a licence in oz, unless they changed this since i went fishing last, which i seriously doubt.

Edited by planthelper

no way hunab thats a bream. not a snapper.

and thats not a parrotfish,,,its a sp of leatherjacket.

i do not know very much about anything in this life but if there is one area that i do feel comfortable its naming fish sp.!!!

yeah maybe the parrot looking fish ...its some kind of letherjacket but that little red bream is a squire my good fellow..I challenge you to duel... :slap:

ask Dremaz I bet he can tell us it was pink in colour and had little tiny blue spots on it...they are everywhere in Sydney waters and grow big and then move out onto reefs when older.

Its a Squire ....Squire.. :wink:

no fuken way. i bet me entire cacti collection that that is a bream.

what you got?