The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Acacia ID

Went bush walking up in the mountains a couple of weeks ago and took a lot of amazing pictures... I was just going through them and wanted to see if anyone could ID these 2 different Acacia.

cheers

H.

post-4860-1240300583_thumb.jpg

Acacia 1

post-4860-1240300623_thumb.jpg

Acacia 2

Acacia1.JPG

Acacia2.JPG

Acacia1.JPG

Acacia2.JPG

Hmmm.... number 2 looks quite like Obtusi. Upright foliage, cylindrical inflorescences, phyllodes with rounded tips (some look reddish too) and seemingly rough edges. But why would it be coming into flower now?

Touch is the best way to ID Obtusi I think. The phyllodes are thick and leathery with uneven edges and blunt ends. I think I've seen something that looks like number 2 growing with Obtusi in the Blue Mountains. Phyllodes are paler on this thing and alot thinner and bendy when you get your hands on them.

So I'd say this could be that thing. The thing I have no ID for. What did the phyllodes feel like? Did ya give em a good old manhandling? A right rogering?

Edit 1: I'll add that Obtusi typically has less dense foliage than that #2 pic. And the un-ID'd look-alike I referred to generally has more dense foliage.

Edit 2: Acacia 1 looks like Longifolia.

Edit 3: One of the most haphazard, brain-farts of a post I've made. Hope its somewhat understandable. But I've been writing precisely and scientifically all day so I'm happy to let it all hang out now. :)

Edited by MORG

Hmmm.... number 2 looks quite like Obtusi. Upright foliage, cylindrical inflorescences, phyllodes with rounded tips (some look reddish too) and seemingly rough edges. But why would it be coming into flower now?

Touch is the best way to ID Obtusi I think. The phyllodes are thick and leathery with uneven edges and blunt ends. I think I've seen something that looks like number 2 growing with Obtusi in the Blue Mountains. Phyllodes are paler on this thing and alot thinner and bendy when you get your hands on them.

So I'd say this could be that thing. The thing I have no ID for. What did the phyllodes feel like? Did ya give em a good old manhandling? A right rogering?

Edit 1: I'll add that Obtusi typically has less dense foliage than that #2 pic. And the un-ID'd look-alike I referred to generally has more dense foliage.

Edit 2: Acacia 1 looks like Longifolia.

Edit 3: One of the most haphazard, brain-farts of a post I've made. Hope its somewhat understandable. But I've been writing precisely and scientifically all day so I'm happy to let it all hang out now. :)

I would have thought the opposite!

1 looks like a very happy obtusifolia and 2 looks like a pretty sad longifolia..

Hi Everyone am rather new here and don't get much internet access but will sure to check back real soon! :)

umm i found these on a bushwalk just wanted to know what they were

cheers

post-5737-1242628979_thumb.jpg

post-5737-1242629003_thumb.jpg

post-5737-1242629030_thumb.jpg

post-5737-1242629056_thumb.jpg

post-5737-1242629132_thumb.jpg

the last pic just wanted to know the name of can't seem to find it always see it around in my mates backyards?

post-5737-1242629156_thumb.jpg

Edited by wattleking

Yeah I actually thought they where both Obtusi but they look different with the way the leaf stands straight up in pic 2 but the veins and the leaf shape in pic 1 is typical of obtusi too....they were not coming into flower either by the way I took the shots cause out of all the acacia I saw that day these two resembled Obtusi more than any other..the leaves on pic 1 where kinda softish and the leaves on pic 2 where rough and tougher.

Morg and Toby you both would know more about ID'ing them than me and I thought that at least one of them was obtusi....what is funny though is that you both agree that one is but one says its one way around and the other says the opposite...LOL... :P

Number 1 is definitely not Obtusi. Obtusifolia literally refers to the "obtuse" tips of the species' phyllodes. The tips in number 1 are clearly pointy (or acute). And you've confirmed it by saying the phyllodes were "softish". Obtusi has very think, leathery phyllodes.

Number 2 could be obtusi but without more pics or seeing it in the bark I can't go further than that. (It looks a little bit too pale). The venation of phyllodes would be a helpful character to get a hold of for this specimen.

Wattleking: Sorry, don't know what those wattles are. The last pic is a Bird of Paradise.

Number 1 is definitely not Obtusi. Obtusifolia literally refers to the "obtuse" tips of the species' phyllodes. The tips in number 1 are clearly pointy (or acute). And you've confirmed it by saying the phyllodes were "softish". Obtusi has very think, leathery phyllodes.

Number 2 could be obtusi but without more pics or seeing it in the bark I can't go further than that. (It looks a little bit too pale). The venation of phyllodes would be a helpful character to get a hold of for this specimen.

Wattleking: Sorry, don't know what those wattles are. The last pic is a Bird of Paradise.

Hey Morg,

In 1 the acute tips are on very new growth, lower in the pic the giveaway for me is breadth and general unruly nature of the phyllodes. but it's only a photo so yea?

2 looks like a longifolia that hasn't done much this year, maybe suffering nutrient/ph disturbance?

Wattleking that looks like A falcata

Hey Morg,

In 1 the acute tips are on very new growth, lower in the pic the giveaway for me is breadth and general unruly nature of the phyllodes. but it's only a photo so yea?

2 looks like a longifolia that hasn't done much this year, maybe suffering nutrient/ph disturbance?

Wattleking that looks like A falcata

cheers thanks heaps

Edited by mardybum