The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

The Meditation thread

aromatics have always been highly valued...not really necessary but it definitely has an effect via the limbic system...can't go wrong with mysore sandalwood :) or whatever you like.

do what feels right for you...don't worry too much about distractions...at home obviously you shouldn't be disturbed by other people, mostly because it can be a bit startling if someone suddenly talks to you, moves near you or knocks on the door, etc, and they should know that it's your meditation time. if you have a routine about it, same place/same time deal, your mind and body will settle down much more quickly when you sit. a ritual can be as simple as becoming quiet/slowing down a bit, turning off you phone, adjusting the lighting & lighting a candle..sit, get comfortable, just relax for a minute or two and let the breath slow down and deepen naturally, then start the practice.

the distracting noises etc, might be annoying at first, but you'll soon notice they don't bother you so much..it's just another thing to work with

hopefully family would be respectful if they know what you're doing but at the same time obviously they shouldn't have to creep around in silence for that time :)

i have to admit that if i'm meditating and any tv is on anywhere in the house...that is something i find very difficult :)

i should shut up so someone else can get a word in :)

ah..i forgot to mention timers...i use a cd that is silent but after the chosen period of time there is a gentle bell sound. you can buy meditation timers too.

it's important to commit to a specific time that you'll sit out even if you're having a rough day...know your commitment before you sit....because the mind may suddenly say "oh you really should defrost the freezer" -- and you can say "15 minutes is the deal, the freezer can wait" :)

not at all coin, i find your knowledge very grounded, stimulating and interesting, keep it coming :) I don't have a lot to comment on with it but enjoy reading the information.

I just started reading this book -

How God changes your brain

It is written by two neuroscientists and relates to anyone wanting to give their lives more depth through improving their understanding of the inner self.

I have started doing a meditation technique that involves three points of focus -

1. Controlled breathing;

2. Hand movements; and

3. A mantra.

You sit cross legged with your eyes closed and breath in through your nose.

Touch your thumb to your index finger, then the next finger, then the down to your little finger last (using both hands).

As you touch each finger you say out loud - Sa -Ta -Na -Ma (one sound for each finger).

The next time around you breath out through your nose and then repeat the whole process.

For this practice to be effective in neuological improvement it is recommended you do it at least once a day for 12 minutes. They have scans showing definate improvements in people that have mainatined an 8 week routine.

I'm currently doing it for 12 minutes in the morning and 12 minutes at night, but I reckon I will have changed my method and routine by the end of the book because I'm yet to get to the chapter that explains the different types of meditational practice.

Edited by rahli

Great thread going on here folks.

I sort of fell into a practice a couple of years ago and have been exploring a few paths to see what fits. Reading Jack Kerouac's On the road and Dharma Bums got me interested and it lead from there.

For me I started with guided meditations on my ipod that i poached off Noah Levine who runs www.dharmapunx.com . if go to the mp3 links up the top you can download or stream them . His books are well written as well and explain the core Buddhist teachings in pretty easy to understand language.

I've collected a few freebies links so I'll drag them out to share

zencast a great range of podcasts from various teachers plus some timers for iphone/ipod

Middleway Some more guided Meditations and Overviews

Punkrock Zenmaster Brad Warner's Blog + great Zen based links and Information

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha, An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book

A very good guidebook that doesn't muck about .

BuddhaNet's eBooks another free ebook repository

Also I'd like to recommend http://www.whataboutme.tv/ from the 1 Giant Leap guys. ABC2 have been showing it here on OZ. Interviews with Tim Robbins Ram Dass ,Eckart Tolle, Norm Chomsky mixed with some vibrant world music..

Noah is awesome, I just got done reading Dharma Punx and have listened to most of his talks. Heres one not on his site [1] and his buddy Vinny gave a talk at the same place :)[2] Those two guys are a must for any punk or street kid type thats interested in meditation or buddhism.

Some good sounding links there, but as an aussie how is it you forgot BSWA? :lol:

Ajahn Brahm grew up in england but dont hold that against him :P And they have aussie monks and nuns for when you want the proper accent. Sister Vayama is pretty smart... Another good site is Audiodharma, loads of stuff there, Gil Fronsdal is onea the cool ones- hes a grown up hippie thats friends and teaching partners with Jack Kornfield.

Edited by Auxin