The Corroboree
Yawning Man

The Flaming Lips

Hey guys

Just found out today that The Flaming Lips have announced an aussie tour.

http://www.tunebinder.com.au/

Half way down the page. Apprently only sydney and melb shows and also doing Splendor in the grass.

Last time they were here was in 04 for the BDO tour, so just over 4 years. It's in july as well...their live show looks crazy enough without mushrooms HAHA.

Can't wait for this one. Anyone else keen?

cheers

yeah i'm very keen. saw them at the bdo last time they were out. it was amazing. a truly beautiful, uplifting experience. their music on cd can be a little too cute/fun for me but seeing them live is a definite. indeed, no drugs are needed there is enough colour, light shows, projections etc to do the job of making you feel like your entire life is flashing before your eyes. i highly (no pun intended) recommend catching them if anyone gets a chance.

Now that, is fantastic news. Awesome!!

Saw them at BDO'04 as well and they were a huge highlight for me. The energy they created was amazing, so care free, so much love. All inhibitions gone and everyone feeling like children again....

It was incredible.

Hey guys

Holymountian, i agree man. I intend on being sober for their show so i can get high off the music and atmosphere!! Are you guys in melb? Should go to the show together!?

cheers

Tickets on sale today kids! Already got mine WOOO. Anyone else going to the melb show?

cheers

Edited by peaceful_son

flaming lips are so fantastic

here's a clip of a song they did with the chemical brothers called the golden path.

if you havent seen this, check it out. i believe it to be the greatest film clip of all time :)

http://www.vimeo.com/850923

Melb gig is this Wednesday! Anyone else going? Gonna be a mad show that's for sure!!!

cheers

:drool2: :drool2: :drool2: :drool2: Will post details when i have more time/energy. Check back soon!!!

cheers

i heard the interview with them at splendour on JJJ.

the frontman seems like such a nice, down to earth guy.

Made me more of a fan of their awesome tunes.

missed it I guess... :( I don't get out enough anymore.

Hello all

Gather round and let me tell you of the greatest night of my life.

I drove 2 hours to get to the show which was at Festival Hall (Melbourne, Australia). Was one of the first there and started talking to the rest of the crowd. GREATEST people you will ever meet. The crowds of some of the other bands i've seen have always been a bit snobby, not so with the Lips crew. Everyone was talking and friendly!

Doors opened and i bolted to the toilet then to the front of the stage. Support act played, they were good. Watched the Lips go about setting up their rigs.

Even with this simple task, the crowd was in silent awe (fair enough as the Lips haven't been in Aus for four years). Then finally the stage came alive with smoke, lights and confetti as 4 figures emerged from the backdrop. Frogs on one side and lambs on the other it was time for wayne to enter his sphere of energy and trek into the crowd.

They opened with:

Race for the prize

Silver trembling hands

Yeah Yeah Yeah song

Fight test

Enthusiasm

HEX

Mountain side

Vein of stars

Yoshimi (beautiful rendition, crowd sung along)

Pompeii

The W.A.N.D (Highlight of the night for me!!!)

Jelly

WHAT? That's it? NO! After some encouragement from the crowd (in the form of foot stamping) they emerged to do an encore where they played REALISE!

I would write about all the things that happened in between and during the other songs but i was just to damn out of it on happiness!!!!!!

I do know that i got the set list that Michael Ivins was using. A piece of the big balloon that wayne blew up with his blower thing and a heap of confetti. I plan on framing all of this along with my ticket and photos of me from the concert into a "My first Flaming Lips Concert" type remberence thing.

If i've left out anything or there's anything else to want to know, just ask. I'm still a bit dizzy from it all...i need to lay down haha.

peace

post-4261-1249301151_thumb.jpg

post-4261-1249301183_thumb.jpg

post-4261-1249301198_thumb.jpg

the lead singer apparently works on their stage setup 6hrs a day leading up to their gig. Hes like the head roadie.

that impresses the shit outta me, u wouldnt get that much these days, and he seems like such a nice guy!

yeah i saw an awesome documentary on them called 'the fearless freaks'. the singer wayne does everything...always is the one designing the posters and the artwork, building the stage set, directing their video clips etc... a real visionary dude who also seems really humble, friendly and genuinly amazed and grateful for his success.. the lips are a rare and unique band...they are like the beatles circa Sgt pepper... not taking themselves too seriously yet still making seriously good music.

Hey incognito

Man i deffinately recommend the doco called Fearless Freaks that HM mentioned. The lips are sort of quiet achievers, having been through all the typical bullshit like infighting, drug addiction, critical band members leave etc and have always seemed to manage to make shit work for them. The doco goes through all of this and more including waynes (lead singer) tireless efforts for the bands shows and shit. He even made a movie with the band called Christmas on Mars. Really obscure, might have to be a lips fan to appreciate it?

Are you going to ega? I could burn em for ya and give them to you if you like. Also, did anyone else from sab get to either show?

cheers

I was at the sydney show and it was also frigging fantastic :)

There is some really great flaming lips stuff floating around the internet... something that is really worth checking out is this:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Flaming-Lips-Z...b1cdd05e75fd0e2

It's a dvd someone has made of the zaireeka album (the one with 4 cds that you are supposed to listen to simultaneously) with incredible psychedelic video footage from a whole bunch of movies and animations. Its really really trippy and very excellent.

That link is to a huge download so im also happy to make copies for people. Maybe some lips swapping is in order at EGA?

Hey Swarb

Some lips swapping sounds good man! I've got the FF doco, the dvd of their video clips, UFO's at the Zoo and Christmas on Mars. That video you linked sounds awesome, i'd love to grab a copy off you man!

Where abouts were you in the crowd for the syd show? I was roughly 2-3 meters from Michael :worship: I hope they come back soon. Also, anyone wanting a copy of those dvds i mentioned just ask. I'll bump this thread closer to EGA in case anyone forgets lol.

cheers