The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
C_T

Time lapse cacti?

Has anyone setup a time-lapse system to record the cacti's growth... I'm thinking of setting something up.

Would be great to watch! And have for future reference.

Hi CT! I never did. But i like the Idea! If you do it, try to also film the flowering & pupping periods! I´m sure this looks cool! I can also imagine that developing rot or diseases might look cool! bye Eg

Has anyone setup a time-lapse system to record the cacti's growth...

I've made a few time-lapse videos including one of a flowering Lophophora jourdaniana, a flowering Epithelantha micromeris v. greggii, and most recently one of a Lophophora diffusa unfolding its flower.

I know it's not exactly recording the cacti's growth, but it's still fascinating to watch ;-) That being said, I'm currently in the process of shooting pictures of a L. diffusa swelling with its first drink of water in more than 4 months. If things go as planned the video should be ready in a few days.

You also might want to visit Hydrocactus - the cactus video page; this site originally inspired me to start experimenting with cactus time-lapse videos.

Those links are awesome thanks lophophora. I can see alot of different uses, it shouldn't be costly if i use a cheap usb camera running off a pc which is on anyway. I'm not talking professional camera in a box, just cheap and nasty, but serves its purpose.

That is utterly amazing Lophophora! I wish the files were .avi so I could save them for future fascinations :) I hope you are able to make many more!

ace, this isn't the only method but get a firefox plug-in called 'download helper', it lets you grab the .flv's from sites like youtube (only once the video has loaded). if you don't have a player, k-lite codec pack on media player should enable viewing flv.

nice vids lopho

I did one of my scop flowers about a year ago:

th_ScopFlower.jpg

PeeWee's Playhouse had a great time lapse set of pachanoi (pachanot?) flowering.

It was in the episode featuring Cowboy Cleetus (sp?) and his magic seeds.

this lophophora blog guy has time lapses. but only of flowering. dont think he has a picture log of lophop growth

I enjoyed you videos Lophophora and bit.

I've always want to do a video of a T. serpentinus falling over and growing along the ground over 5 years or something, that would be cool.

Edited by KanJe