The Corroboree
hutch

Natures natural anti inflammatory

:angry: Two ruptured discs, tennis elbow and tennis shoulder (well its in my shoulder but hurts like my elbow) and I am in constant pain. I have been on celebrex for years and now my blood pressure has gone through the roof. I now read that Celebrex has been responsable for heart attacks. I need something natural. This helps but is not always best :bong:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hutch :wink:

I've heard Wasabi is a good anti-inflammatory.

I need something natural.

argh! :BANGHEAD2:

... don't mind me.

try willow bark, which contains salycylic acid, which is similar to aspirin.

Turmeric, hoe into it mate, it is brilliant stuff. Its anti-inflammatory effects are now being proven to be at least equal to the pharmaceuticals, but as for side effects you will have less Alzheimers, less cancer (via 12 different pathways), a healthier liver, lower cholesterol, less infections, healthier arteries and heaps of other great benefits. You can mix it into a paste and and apply it directly for quicker results as well as eating it with as many things as you can.

Other things that might help are boosting your omega 3 essential fatty acids through chia seeds, flax seeds, fish oils etc. Green lipped mussels are also a tasty way to reduce inflammation. Make sure you are getting enough zinc and Vit C. Bromelain the enzyme in pineapples also has strong anti-inflammatory properties. Try and eat a more alkaline diet as an acidic systen is pro-inflammatory.

Cheers

Calyx

feverfew,is one i use,easy to grow too.

t s t .

Thanks very much guys, some fantastic stuff there. The wisdom on this site just amazes me. I am so lucky to own a twenty five acre property so I have plenty of room to grow just about anything. I will give some feedback on how it pans out.

Cheers and thanks again.

gotu kola is what i eat for arthritis in my feet ... seems to work! grows wild here

Arnica kicks absolute ass!

Strengthens red blood cells, decreases and can even prevent inflamation..

I get it from the homeopath in a vial of like 200 pieces. 1 piece is all you need. lasts ages

Edited by G*P

Ouch hutch - what'd you do?

I had some serious work related rsi similar to yours (been lucky with the back so far tho, touch wood), i ended up leaving but it took about 2 months for my new job to sign me up, then over a month in training, so I was about 75% better after that, mostly due to pure rest, but I was lucky to have the opportunity to choose to leave for a sure-thing job. The rest part is the hardest, because it is hard to not play with the kids on christmas or dig in the garden a bit etc, but it has to be complete rest.

I was simply cycling over the counter voltaren (its only half-dose of prescription), asprin and ibuprofen on the days i was working, as well as turmeric, fish oil, niacinamide (B3) and rubbing feldane cream and other linaments all over the area. You have to cycle off the meds on your days off, and stay off alcohol - all for your livers sake - the common warning for all the anti-inflammatory meds is hepatoxic effects (hepatitis) and blood thinning - so you gotta be careful of other things, like bleed injuries. Don't dismiss compression - like bandages and strapping - just don't sleep with them on - you'll swell up and fill your body with poisonous shit (can't remember what it's called). Ice and cold showers and all that are awesome too, but warm-up before doing any work!

Now it's a case of balancing my work, using my non-dominant hand a lot more and not allowing the strain to move up into my shoulder and hurting it too which is just a compensation for limited elbow movement.

It's a year on for me - it's taken this long to get most of what I had back, after the 3 years it took to wreck it. There are guys at my new job with ruined backs and shoulders, looking at surgery which may give them 5-10 more years use :( I feel better forewarned than some of the guys there, but still I've been picked up for bad habits, so it's a constant battle to keep vigilant on posture etc, while getting the job done!

edit - oh yeah SAB's got turmeric rhizome, which grows amazing up this way!

Edited by momomoto

Ouch hutch - what'd you do?

I had some serious work related rsi similar to yours (been lucky with the back so far tho, touch wood), i ended up leaving but it took about 2 months for my new job to sign me up, then over a month in training, so I was about 75% better after that, mostly due to pure rest, but I was lucky to have the opportunity to choose to leave for a sure-thing job. The rest part is the hardest, because it is hard to not play with the kids on christmas or dig in the garden a bit etc, but it has to be complete rest.

I was simply cycling over the counter voltaren (its only half-dose of prescription), asprin and ibuprofen on the days i was working, as well as turmeric, fish oil, niacinamide (B3) and rubbing feldane cream and other linaments all over the area. You have to cycle off the meds on your days off, and stay off alcohol - all for your livers sake - the common warning for all the anti-inflammatory meds is hepatoxic effects (hepatitis) and blood thinning - so you gotta be careful of other things, like bleed injuries. Don't dismiss compression - like bandages and strapping - just don't sleep with them on - you'll swell up and fill your body with poisonous shit (can't remember what it's called). Ice and cold showers and all that are awesome too, but warm-up before doing any work!

Now it's a case of balancing my work, using my non-dominant hand a lot more and not allowing the strain to move up into my shoulder and hurting it too which is just a compensation for limited elbow movement.

It's a year on for me - it's taken this long to get most of what I had back, after the 3 years it took to wreck it. There are guys at my new job with ruined backs and shoulders, looking at surgery which may give them 5-10 more years use :( I feel better forewarned than some of the guys there, but still I've been picked up for bad habits, so it's a constant battle to keep vigilant on posture etc, while getting the job done!

edit - oh yeah SAB's got turmeric rhizome, which grows amazing up this way!

I'm not really sure what I did. I've had the back trouble since I was about 22. I'm just about to hit 49, so it has been awhile. As for the tennis elbow and shoulder, I think it has something to do with too much use of a computer mouse. About 10 years ago I was promoted at work and given my very first computer. I don't think it is natural to have your arm stretched out like that all day and we had no such thing as OH&S then, well not where I worked anyway. Over time it just got worse.

I'm very wary now of how much time I sit at a computer now and what the effects to my arm will be if I over do it.

I,ve got some Commelina that "Les Hiddins" was nice enough to send me growing now in my yard. I'm pretty keen to give that a go once I'm sure it's established. I was just thinking how up until I got my first computer my eye sight was perfect and how quickly it has gone to shit since then. Bloody computers...

Anyway, thanks all for the advise. I will ivestergate further and let the results be known.

Cheers

:angry: Two ruptured discs, tennis elbow and tennis shoulder (well its in my shoulder but hurts like my elbow) and I am in constant pain. I have been on celebrex for years and now my blood pressure has gone through the roof. I now read that Celebrex has been responsable for heart attacks. I need something natural. This helps but is not always best :bong:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My old man had 2 ruptured discs as well, so I can sort of understand your pain you must be going thru

He was munchin celebrex for breky lunch and tea and had a massive heart attack...so not sure if its linked as

he was also washing it down with a bottle of vodka and snacking on gear...ludes, vals, hooter. Anything really to take his mind and body away from the pain.

I hope you find an alternative mate

Turmeric, mixed with black pepper and oil to increase the absorption rate.

Have you tried comfrey ointment for the elbow and shoulder?

Brahmi is also supposed to have anti-inflammatory effects but I haven't tried it yet.

Turmeric, mixed with black pepper and oil to increase the absorption rate.

Have you tried comfrey ointment for the elbow and shoulder?

Brahmi is also supposed to have anti-inflammatory effects but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for your feed back Cinnamon Girl. Seems a heap of people in this world agree with you in regards to Turmeric. I weaned myself off the Celebrex tablets as prescribed by my doctor but have only just recently put myself back on them. Nothing I have tried, including Turmeric has seemed to make much of a difference. If I don't use an anti inflammatory I spend all day in more pain than not and on the cusp of going into back spasm. I haven't given up yet on finding something natural but until I do I am stuck on the big pharmacutical round about trying to get off......

Thanks again

my first thought was tumeric as well

and then for your tennis elbow in your shoulder, the 5 fragrance wine i make will help with that. i will have some available in a few weeks time

Edited by VelvetSiren

i might have to put an order in for the 5 fragrance wine too for my 'guitar shoulder.' its funny, it developed about 3 or 4 years ago when i started playing guitar heavily but has persisted til this day even though my guitar playing pretty much came to a hault about 1.5 years ago. there is a history of osteoarthritis in my mums family (and i've got her italian genes) so maybe its the start of that, i sure fuckin hope not. anyway i might give this miracle wine of yours a go VelvetSiren :lol:

That's too bad Hutch. I'd still recommend trying comfrey ointment though (along with the five-fragrance wine, which sounds great). You should be able to tell within a day or so if it is having any positive effect.

my first thought was tumeric as well

and then for your tennis elbow in your shoulder, the 5 fragrance wine i make will help with that. i will have some available in a few weeks time

Sounds great! I will give anything a go to be pain free and am willing to pay....pm me with cost and banking details if you like. Looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks heaps.....

i will make a post when the wine is ready, currently still in the ground aging

i am not saying its a cure all btw, it helps releice pain and move blood, remove blood stasis etc, is good for ligaments and muscle regeneration. you will need to have someone rub it in at least 3 times a day. and wont be instant but i think it will help at least.

i am going to make a massage oil if it soon too.

I've recently slipped a couple if discs, so I can understand your pain.

Some good suggestions already, but the one I reckon is the best is exercise.

Lots of stretching-breathe through the pain-I find a hot bath really helps. And you've got to get your muscles working properly-after an injury, other muscle groups can take over, and the muscles associated with the injury can waste away-leading to complications down the track.

As for native plants-many have been used laid on hot rocks, covered with sand-then you lie on your hot bed. Best down outside! Wilga (Geijera parviflora) is one that comes to mind (contains xanthoxylon), various Eremophillas and Eucys, Santalums are also used-lots of others as well

Wow guys thanks for all these different options, i have a bad back and often eat Voltarin just to get through a day at work i will start to give some of all your ideas a go its gotta be better then the the damge that long term use of Voltarin does ;)

Also Swimming seems to be helping, i guess its because of the low impact