The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Phalaris Aquatica as straw replacement

As someone who is always trying to become more and more self sufficient...I have been tinkering with the idea of using some dried Phalaris Aquatica as a straw replacement...I mean I have this grass growing in my garden and its rampant as hell...what are peoples thoughts on cutting it and drying it, and using it as a substrate ingredient instead of normal old straw.

Perhaps the myc could transform some of the low level alks in the grass to something else... :P

H.

I hope you try it! If it works like I hope it will, this might open a whole new realm of enlightenment. Imagine 2-3 hours of breakthrough.

Well, hard to tell! There are some very unpleasant chemicals in Phalaris! I know that it sometimes kills grazing cattles! I´m not sure how many of the undesired chemicals would get absorbed from the mushrooms but i´d rather not find it out! But a purer Source like Psychotria might be a good additive to the substrate! bye Eg

i can remember hearing somewhere from someone (not much credibility) tho i think it was on shroomery about some1 injecting dm into the mycelium and getting some hectic strength one's. dont trust me tho :P

this sorta thing has come up a few times, i think it's stamet's idea originally... has anybody been doing any serious experimenting? can anybody even suggest some sound ideas for others to attempt? there was a good thread but it didn't reach any kind of conclusion.

there is an experiment currently underway and positive results ...although actually a slow coloniser....mmmm

not ideal then...

actually hunab i was more asking about the idea of adding chemicals to mycelium for them to perform their indiscriminate processes on... and voila, they manufacture some chemical for you which is difficult to do in a lab.

Yeah plenty of that done at the nook and shroomery TI.

I would go with EGs recommendation, don't use it, while there are some good chemicals in there there are also some bad ones which are very similar on a molecular level and might be "converted" by the mycelium.