The Corroboree
Bush Turkey

Is this normal???

Yep, the first few set have those funny little pinnate leaves but all sets thereafter are normal

Kinda reminds me of a mate that was growing the waccy-baccy overseas - the first set of leaves came out all round and he thought he'd been taking for a ride... then the second set of leaves came out :wink:

many Acacias, like those in the obtusifolia/longfolia group have lost their leaves as an evolutionary response to dry climate, with the phyllode (leaf stem) modifying to take the place of the leaf. in seedlings the leaves are still present on the end of the phyllode on the first few segments.

awesome that you're getting into it & growing your own man, now you gotta do some research :wink:

many Acacias, like those in the obtusifolia/longfolia group have lost their leaves as an evolutionary response to dry climate, with the phyllode (leaf stem) modifying to take the place of the leaf. in seedlings the leaves are still present on the end of the phyllode on the first few segments.

awesome that you're getting into it & growing your own man, now you gotta do some research :wink:

yeah ive got a few acacias... had 100% germ rate!!!! That one has been grown under lights!

It may also while its youngish ( up to about 4 years old ) still have leaves on the end of its phyloides from time to time , pretty cool subbo, you've done well!

how groovy is it seeing those first set of leaves close at night and open in the morning.. sweet as.

how groovy is it seeing those first set of leaves close at night and open in the morning.. sweet as.

yeah so cool!!! im pretty impressed with the way this one is going! I want to put it outside.. but its never been outside (exposed to wind)

so how can i stop the wind from breaking it! put a fan on it for a week or two??? i dont just want to put a stick next to it.. i want to make the stem stronger!

Um, if you dont want the wind to break it dont put a fan on it! DUFUS

Harden it off in a partly shaded well protected environment like east facing spot, or spot that doesnt get too windy, young seedlings are pretty flexible, checkout your garden. well done subbo they are hard to find seeds for and hard to germ sometimes, you have done well

she is coming along quite nicely! didnt think it would make it this far!!! when do ya think it needs a bigger pot or in the ground???

post-4590-1236929732_thumb.jpg

Lovely looking seedling there subbo..top notch...if you have access to planting it out in the ground then my advice is to do it...they take off like you wouldn't believe once they get their roots out in some nice local Aussie soil.

Don't pamper it though just stick it in the ground and let it rip..its a nice time of the year to harden plants off IMO..they will be nicely established before the onslaught of next years summer.

I've had approx 2 feet of growth on a couple of Acuminata's that are in the ground..they simply love it.

H.

there is a little prostrate thing around here with thorny seeds IIRC, looks a lot like an acacia with pinnate leaves which all close up instantly if you brush them, and the stems contract. no idea how this serves it's survival.

shes dying! :BANGHEAD2:

why whats going on..what have you done and post a pic please...!!!

there is a little prostrate thing around here with thorny seeds IIRC, looks a lot like an acacia with pinnate leaves which all close up instantly if you brush them, and the stems contract. no idea how this serves it's survival.

That would be Mimosa pudica or a friend of the family :)

why whats going on..what have you done and post a pic please...!!!

she has gone all crispy! hasnt even been in full sun.. she has had about 4 hours of sun a day (with shade cloth)

post-4590-1239553113_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1239553145_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1239553161_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1239553177_thumb.jpg

she went from underlights to sun with shade cloth....IME plants that are SOFT from being grown under lights need special ways to harden em off..total shade like under a large tree for a good few months...no direct light on leaves..they really react very quickly when going from artificial light to out doors..maybe you can save her by just leaving her alone in total shade..dont water it anymore than u have too...and certainly don't fertilze with anything...natives need special ferts not the crap in bottles from K mart and bunnings.

cheers Hunab! ill try and save her.. it seemed to of happened in one day!

How is she subbo? Re hydrating?

How is she subbo? Re hydrating?

na not really! :( pretty much the same... maybe a little greener on the tips of phyls. ill go take a pic

post-4590-1240036839_thumb.jpg

Edited by subbo

:(

Well she doesn't seem any worse than the previous shots. Which is a good sign.

If you can put her on a windowsill getting some indirect sunlight and amp up the water a little bit, i think she will come back nicely.

Mine were left in standing water for weeks and loved it :P

I buggered a few maidenii seeds that I'd put in a little container sitting on cotton soaked in hot water. Kinda forgot they were there and then 2 weeks later got tea (no milk) spilt into the container but the shoots are still coming out of the seed so I've just put them into seedling trays... fingers crossed I haven't killed them but I don't like their chances :(

How is she going subbo? My prayers have been going out to the little maiden, hoping it worked! :innocent_n:

Edited by kenny

I buggered a few maidenii seeds that I'd put in a little container sitting on cotton soaked in hot water. Kinda forgot they were there and then 2 weeks later got tea (no milk) spilt into the container but the shoots are still coming out of the seed so I've just put them into seedling trays... fingers crossed I haven't killed them but I don't like their chances :(

Should be good fancypants!, I germinate all my acacias in water thats changed daily. (First lot of water is boiling, room temp for the rest) Some sit in there for 10-14 days before throwing a shoot.. just slowly swelling, then they appear.. I pot them 24hrs after I see the first sign of a root, and have only success... Your babies will be fine!

Hope this helps!