The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
momomoto

Mushroom mystery

Question

Old mate comes around today when I got in from work, big grin on his face and some pictures on his phone (for me to I.D. basically)

The first ones I think are cubes (Golden tops) - but I'm not so savvy on these yet.

The second ones I told him to leave alone - they'll probably kill his stupid ass. Interesting to know what they are though.

the third lot are most likely meanies - I'm about 95% sure that they're the paneoulus cyanescens (friggin hard to spell)

The crazy guy tried a 'happy shake' in Laos, I'm pretty sure he's gonna eat something soon to repeat his performance.

Pretty good shots for a phone I guess - so what says ya - SABBERS ?

post-5125-1233486562_thumb.jpg

post-5125-1233486924_thumb.jpg

post-5125-1233487113_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

im going to take a wild stab and say that your orange mushroom might be Hygrocybe sp. no idea if its the right time of year though. any idea what the gills looked like or spore colour?

Bit hard to tell from the pic but I'm not so sure the first pic are cubes, if there is bluing then there is a good chance, the caps are the right shape, but spore print would be helpful. And if the tops are a goldy colour like you say then the shape looks right.

Bit wary of the last pic being cyan, there are some 100% inactive lookalikes of cyan around (trust me, my gnome was dumb enough to bioassay some of what he thought to be the goodies). They looked much like what you have there. Fibrous, semi transluscent sort of hollow stem yes? But that may well describe cyans too...Doesn't look like any bluing either.

Peace

Tell your friend you can't ID mushrooms from a pic, he needs to spore print them. He also needs to say where they were growing from (shit, dirt, chips, hay, etc).

The first ones look like cubes, can see some blueing and the spores on the rings look purple. He needs to print them himself though to be sure (Print should be purple).

Second one could be hygrocybe like genki says, i think he's thinking of the Witch's cap (H. conica). If it is it will bruise blue. Definitely inactive and i think poisonous.

Last one are possibly cyans or inactive Pan. antillarum. Maybe i can see some blueing but only your friend can tell in person if it is. He needs to print them to confirm they're safe to try. (Print should be black).

im going to take a wild stab and say that your orange mushroom might be Hygrocybe sp. no idea if its the right time of year though. any idea what the gills looked like or spore colour?

see attached picture - no spore print on this guy, presumedly it would be yellow

both of the white ones had definite bluing and gills - the bigger ones had a dark cap, the smaller ones had a strong mushroom odour.

a quick press on some paper of the semi-dry specimens drew nice blue and dark dlue prints on the white ones.

These guys all shared the same habitat - old crusty cow pads .

(sorry I should have said so in the first post...)

post-5125-1233516836_thumb.jpg

Edited by momomoto

mystery fungus #2 - Hygrocybe conica! Definitely a witches' hat ~ mate will have a laugh at that for sure.

will never know about #1 & 3 :wacko:

With cubes and cyanescens a simple test will tell if you've got the genuine/active artical. Tear the stem a bit, if it blues by fifteen minutes its a positive id, if not you're out of luck.

yeap #2 looks like H.conica

he's thinking of the Witch's cap (H. conica). If it is it will bruise blue.

they don't really bruise blue instantanously, but rather take on a black colour where they have been crushed or whan old... often at the cap's top..

They are suspect of being toxic..

i did a bit of hunting up around byron area this year and found mushrooms that looked identical to those in pic 3, growing sparingly among cubes (in cow shit). i too thought they might have been blue meanies and broke the stem, where i found the inside to be mushy and a light pinky colour. 10 mins later when they hadn't bruised blue i threw them away, but continued to see them growing in numerous cow paddocks alongside cubes. anyone got any ideas what it could be im interested in knowing.

Panaeolus antillarum sounds like some others my mate discarded as possibly poisonous too - I said we don't get galerenas up here (yet) - but he'd be interested to know that these were okay too.

There's so many horror stories, he'll be relieved. It would be good to find other edibles out on his property - his grandfather said they used to have to find them in the hay if that's what they wanted for breakfast - good stories :)

BTW mate reckons they were good - but was suprised when i told him the little blue ones would be stronger!

Edited by momomoto

I dont think they are Panaeolus antillarun, at least the one's above aren't. Panaeolus antillarun doesn't have those those fibril spots on the stem.

I too have had an experience similar to Mardybum where I'm collecting blue meanies and throwing them into a plastic bag. Get home and lay out my collection and noticed that two small specimens looked sutility just a little different. Tore the stems and after a good period no bluing. I've no problem recognizing blue meanies since I've seen heaps of them but that I even threw these inactives into the bag shows the wisdom of carefully inspecting ones collection once gets back home. These things seemed different to antillarum. Too small and the stem more flexible.

By the way I did eat an Antillarum when I was a young -un. Didn't kill me or make me crook. Doesn't mean one should consider it an edible.

Edited by Mycot

i agree. Hygrocybe. white print ? conditions look right