The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Base Jumping in Wing suits

Check this shit out!

... and remember those who have suffered in the development of this sport...

Geewhizz-batman.jpg

:rolleyes:

INSANE...!

those shots of them from the body cam are super stunning particularly when they go past that bend in the road where the camera crew is. I once abseiled off a 500 ft cliff in Wales up at Mt Snowden and that was cool but base jumping is for the real men...prolly no bigger high in life I'd imagine, as from the day we are born we allways dream of being able to fly...and those that keep up the dream end up on forums like this one.. :P

H.

I sure miss skydiving, I can only imagine what a thrill jumping in a wing suit would be let alone 'planing' across the ground or mountain tops like that.

Sadly Im think Im along way off being able to afford the extra lessons and the suit. :(

For the next stage in evolution you should check out Jetman, the human fuselage!

http://jet-man.com/prod/index.html

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/106463/1504232 (Gets good around -4:30mins)

Jetman doing his crossing of the English channel

http://natgeoadventuretv.com.au/Programmes/Main.aspx?Id=1225

imagine driving one of those cars near the end of the video. normally when you drive a car, you don't see men flying past.

imagine driving one of those cars near the end of the video. normally when you drive a car, you don't see men flying past.

I've seen goblins and dragons with wings fly past whilst I was in the car many times... :P

H.

awesome! But I am not enough of a thrill seeker to do that. I also think that going that close to rockwalls, roads and gullies is a recipe for disaster. Unpredictable pockets of turbulence can easily propel you a few m in a direction you weren't planning on going. Other than that, like I said AWESOME!

Does that mean are ARE enough of a thrill seeker to learn paraglidng with me?

I want to learn with a partner and no one had steped up to the plate so far, doing it on your own is never as exciting as learning with a friend. :)

Ive seen quite a lot of people paraglidng off the moutains along the coast near Byron so Im sure its a pretty good spot to fly.

Plus I really want to see you in a pastel colored jumpsuit.. :P

haha, the local paragliding club actually uses our mountain for the occasional glide. personally I don't see the thrill in such a short ride. I think I might try my hands at ultralights one day.

"At the beginning of base-suit jumping we were trying to get as far away from the wall as possible, so basically trying to clear out, away from the whole thing. And now it's getting boring, so we play around."

Fair enough.

It depends on your skill level, the winds and how high you jump from.

If you can catch some good thermals you can stay up for 30-60mins+, or even better, if you can get a petrol powered fan back pack you can stay up until the fuel runs out.

You can switch the fan on and off when you catch a good thermal too so from what Ive been told you can stay up there for hours and can get a couple of hundred Km's done with dual 4ltr tanks.. plus the best of all is you can take off from flat ground.

http://poliglide.com/index.php?main_page=i...590798524b3a65f

Edited by AndyAmine.

just remembered that my first post on this forum was about seeing a base jumper fall to his death at a festival. so i'd have to agree with salem.

I remember when I spoke with my old skydiving instructor about BASE jumping, he said it was for people that have become bored with skydiving and who have also become bored with life.....

This guy does all sorts of crazy stuff when he dives and makes some really risky landings but he said he thinks he will never start BASE jumping because its far to risky. for me this really said it all.

On a side note about the buzz skydiving provides, I was told a story about a guy who used to dive regularly at the jumpzone I leaned at (Corowa, Vic.)

Apparently 'Steve' started off doing the 1 week learners course like I did and got hooked right away. He started diving every other day and was one of their best customers.

After a couple of months he was diving pretty much everyday doing everything he could to get extra jumps in like offering to teach people tricks or do their photography in return for paying for his jump (about $25-$50 once you have your own rig)

One day he showed up first thing eager as ever to get up there so a few guys all chucked in and went for a dive, while they were on their accent the police showed up asking if they had seen the man pictured in the photograph they were showing around.

The owner had a close look at the grainy back and white photo and realised it was Steve and said 'Yes, I know him, he just went up to do a jump, why are you looking for him?'

The cop replied that he had just robbed the local service station and because the console operator thought that he was a regular they were canvasing the area to see if anyone knew him.

So when Steve landed the cops were there waiting for him with handcuffs.

When they asked why he robbed the servo he replied by saying that after selling almost everything he owned over the last few months he had hit rock bottom and didn't have enough money to do any jumps that day and simply couldn't bear the thought of going a day without it....

Apparently, after getting out of jail about a year later he got straight back into it.. LOL.

A true story...