The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Marshmallow

Anti-nociceptive Effects of Salvia nemorosa

very interesting,thanx.that second link has so many interesting links i certainly couldnt even read all the titles.pity they are only summaries but i guess they lead to the full report if you can follow it up.

t s t .

Still there Cap'n?

Anyone ever bioassay this salvia for pain-killing effect?

Updated link

Both extracts showed significant anti-nociceptive activities in the writhing test. They reduced the number of writhes more than 90%. In this test, the extracts showed considerable anti-nociceptive activity similar to morphine.

A nociceptive is a stimulation that causes pain, if anyone didn't know (like me).

I would be happy to bioassay if anyone has material or knows where to source some, I have a whole bunch of bioassays I will put up soon.

Note: According to the USDA Salvia nemorosa is synonymous with Salvia sylvestris (infact in 2002 they changed the name of their iranian S. nemorosa acession to S. sylvestris and listed it as a nomenclature change, not a re-ident). Also many list a "Salvia x sylvestris" as being a hybrid of S. nemorosa x S. pratensis.

Hmmm, funny business with that naming - I picked up a "Salvia nemerosa x sylvestris" the other day from good old bunnings. The flowers are coloured evenly red & purple. Got no idea wat species it would be now

Just read the infamous 'Red Tar' thread on Edot. I have to get my hands on some of this.

Bear in mind that thread makes nemorosa sound better than it really is. it is a great plant, powerful and euphoric, but Zombiebowl is always either on something else or just plain eccentric. when he came up with the phrase "how to nod like a god for pennies a day" he was not only smoking red tar(aqueous extract for s nemorosa), he was also smoking indian white poppy seed extract. then he's got his salt shaker.

when i described nemmy, i had been using leaves from a mislabeled plant, shown here;

2455024994_3681c5726f_m.jpg

it was sold as salvia nemorosa, but the red stems, leaves oval and thicker, and more prominent veins give it away as being an impostor. when i was first told about salvia nemmy this was the plant i bioassayed, not knowing it was mislabeled. this turned out to be one of the best mistakes i could have made.

this plant is WAY better than nemorosa and though i have not made an extract i could venture to guess it would be almost as good as kratom.

i have since tried actual salvia nemorosa. very good material, euphoria, analgesia, sedation, a bit of "heady-ness", opiate potentiation(1.5g 40% kavalactone extract, 5g bali K, and a bowl of pot with red tar will give you effects that i and a friend have decided is AT LEAST on par with hydrocodone). ive not noticed much difference in potency between the cultivars.

Did you finaly found the identity of this mysterious salvia ? (the one on the pic)

no, still working on it, if anyone has ideas please let me know.

Any new pics DayLight? ;)

Everything that i read says Salvia nemorosa is a synonym of Salvia superba and Salvia sylvestris. Seems like we might have another trichocereus-like mystery on our hands...

These plants could all be the same species, just different cultivars, or they could be different species altogether.

I don't know. Just sharing what ive read...

Salvia nemorosa = Salvia sylvestris

Salvia x sylvestris and Salvia x superba are both interspecies hybrids, unfortunately people fuck up their names lol, calling Salvia x superba 'Salvia superba (x)' or 'Salvia superba' and calling Salvia x sylvestris 'Salvia sylvestris'!!

Salvia sylvestris is now the proper name for Salvia nemorosa but I flatly reject that simply because people frequently call Salvia x sylvestris 'Salvia sylvestris'

ill get pics soon. the "mystery opiate sage" or salvia nemmy var. daylight has taken off. for many weeks it just sat there, still kinda green, turning purple. then one day the leaves stood straight up, turned bright green, and its been growing like a madman ever since!

its a low growing sage like spathacea(why has no one tried my little discovery? its better than nemorosa.), so cuttings will be difficult, but i will do my damndest to spread this plant amongst the community. teeko, you've got spot 2 on my list of people to get a cut to ;)

which part to use?

the report says airial parts.....daylight was using leaves.....just smoking dried leaf?

t s t .

the entire plant is active. i started with leaves because at first that was all i could get, but now spring is upon us and i use flowers instead. i like to pick a spire and throw the petals into the pipe undried and smoke it. the first five or so hits are pretty much just vapor. mark from MJB botanicals says the roots are best.

the best way to do it is a hydro exraction/reduction or an acetone pull. a buddy of mine made a 7.5x extract with good results. ive only sampled one fraction so far. the hydro extraction is easiest. makes a reddish tar that can be dissolved in hot water or smoked/vaporized.

Thanks DayLight!

I have yet to see a spath in my area. But there is a store that is supposed to specialize in sages 45 minutes south of me, so when i have time and money in the same instance. then ill go check it out.