The Corroboree
rahli

Icaros DNA

Yeah thanks guys, she's sure to stand out.

Teotz, when she's big enough to start sharing around I reckon I'll reference her as per the title of the thread (Icaros DNA Changling) so as to limit confusion as I wouldn't want her getting a complex.

I'll post another pic once the newest pup starts pupping (lets hope so).

The appearance of monstroses and cristates can happen any time that a person plants enough seeds. Yet another reason its good to mass plant cacti.

From how the areoles look I would suspect that this monstrose puts on some crests as it grows up.

Its sure a good one to spot for propagation.

There are monstrose plants around Matucana as well but exporting live cactus plants can really be a problem.

Just one more reason that you should buy your seeds in bulk when you have the chance... you don't have to grow out 30,000 seedlings to maturity, but planting 30,000 seedlings and watching and hoping for the nice ones can be promising. This is something I've just started to do in ernest with cacti as my primary point of emphasis in the past has been Brugmansia. While I still find Brugmansia to be some of the most beautifully fragrant flowers (not all of them mind you, but many of them), I find Trichocereus hybrids, variegations, monstrose forms, colors, etc. are quickly becoming a new area of research and interest for me. I've found a few good resources for hybrid Trichocereus seeds with an emphasis on color variation, a few good sources for Trichocereus hybrids with other points of emphasis... and I can see the work continuing from other members in here as this bug for unique cultivars spreads. All in all, I'd say don't let anyone talk you into cutting on this one until your ready to. When you do cut on her... ensure you keep multiple types of growth for yourself first and foremost to ensure the strength of the line as someone else may come up with something similar and we don't need to buy or trade for multiples of the same cultivar unless it is a different variation unavailable from another source. Often times with mutations or variations one will find that chimerical growth can be expected and different cuts can provide different growth patterns to include things like a cutting losing its variegation, an albino variation, etc. etc.

I've found a few good resources for hybrid Trichocereus seeds with an emphasis on color variation,.

what do you mean by colour variation?

if you mean variegations care to share your source :worship:

i,m totally obsessed with the oddities of the cacti/succulent world :drool2:

The appearance of monstroses and cristates can happen any time that a person plants enough seeds. Yet another reason its good to mass plant cacti.

From how the areoles look I would suspect that this monstrose puts on some crests as it grows up.

Its sure a good one to spot for propagation.

There are monstrose plants around Matucana as well but exporting live cactus plants can really be a problem.

You are without any doubt "one who knows Trichocerus spp." as the tip you based your suspisions on has recently expressed itself in crest form.

post-3173-1234517694_thumb.jpg

I do plan to propagate this cacti and have previous experience grafting Eileen to Scop so will use this method to speed her along.

Thanks for the advice Inyan, I plan to keep a hold of her for a while yet as I'm quite attached and have no intention of exploiting her for monetary gain.

Though I'm sure she will one day find her way into the hands of those of a similar mind.

post-3173-1234518384_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahli
  • Like 1

Something worth keeping mind mind if planting a lot of seed is that many of the coolest mutants start really slowly or weak for their first year or several (sometimes always) so sometimes spotting those weird runts as early as possible and popping them onto a Pereskiopsis can be a really worthwhile endeavor to get them past that first high risk year of life.

The awesome monstrose trichocereus shaferi from Oasis was nearly discarded as when it was time to plant their seedlings out into individual pots after a couple of years it was still a weird blob the size of a pencil eraser. Despite being neglected it thrived until noticed again and then when given attention exploded. Now there are probably at least 15 feet or more of it on the planet.

Edited by trucha

it almost looks like it's taking on a clumping form, a bit like a TBM

Yeah, the first clump continued with a single tip. The new clump is formed in a line right the way across the pup with activitiy happening at the base of either side. I hope its a crest as I've never seen one born.

I'll post a pic when it is obvios what form she will take.

Well sorry guys but the elusive changling has refused definition once again and not taken on a crest as yet.

She has produced a forked tip though and I'm hopeing that they both continue to express in various wonderful forms for my continued amazment.

post-3173-1237005372_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1237005341_thumb.jpg

Strange eh...looks like a true mutant...be interesting to see if those tips do what the original tip did and throw pups again..geez she will get very top heavy if that's the case....genetics huh weird as.

H

The Icaros changling is developing into a strong little beast.

post-3173-1256432503_thumb.jpg

She'll be upside down and walking before I know it.

• Like 1

Crazy stuff...that cactus has it's own personality... I often find myself thinking about it, and hoping you post an update. One of the coolest plant personalities on this forum that's for sure. The Icaro are serious lookers ey...I was given a dozen seedlings last year and they fat, fat, fat..total nuggets and fast growers too.

Yeah sweet Chiral, I'll let her know your thinking of her :wub: .

I'll post another pic in a few months time.

You get some bloody awesome growth up there mate, so jealous.

She cetainly is bizzare. keen to see what she does next.

Great pics Rahli and what an awesome cactus :drool2:

Jealous. Even if it has reverted, a dichotomous plant is something to be happy about. Awesome plant rahli!

Thanks guys, I 'm just hoping that she doesn't break under her weight.

If she does I'm hoping I get a pic right before hand.

Either way I'll keep you all posted.

Why don't you try and add some support by fixing it to a wooden steak?

I had a stake for a while and she stood straight just fine....... until this morning.

Didn't have time to stake her again this morning so just proped the pot on a slight angle so she stood straight until I got home when I planned to stake her again.

Well this afternoon I got home from work and she was upside down and walking. Broke off right at the first join below the two limbs. I guess it had to happen one day.

Now I've got 2 limbs, the centre bit grafted onto a scop and the stock.

Glad I got my photo anyway.

If the graft takes I'll post some pics of the growth. Might be interesting how it turns out.

We'll see I guess.

She's in the weather in her entirety now.

post-3173-126249012691_thumb.jpg

Fending for her self again.

Oh boo hiss what a shame...I guess the top heavy state got the better of her and she requested freedom from her deformity...typical, girls always worried about their appearance...rolleyes.gif

The Changling is going along fine. I've got a couple of grafted sections growing pups and 3 sections in pots.

One of the sections I've potted recently after her making a full round trip of the country. I gifted a tip cutting of her to Chiral as a parting gesture when he was leaving the forum a few months ago. Seems everything turned a bit too freaky for him and he failed to pick her up from the post office. Lucky I put the return address so she made it safely back into my hands. I thought it was a bit strange that he didn't pick up the cut or respond to my inquires until I read the thread regarding his latest happenings. I'm just glad that what he had to offer didn't interest me as I have enough to deal with at present without getting caught up in all that scandal.

Anyway the cuts taken well and just started to put on some new growth. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

:scratchhead: damm whats wrong with a guy who doesnt accept a freaky mutant cactus gift :lol: !

If you ever wanna sell a cut pm us, it will certainly get a nice spot in the ground.

No worries spacemonk. I'll let you know when one is on offer.

post-3173-129133252737_thumb.jpg

Here is the well traveled Changling, back from her adventures in the cold southern land.

post-3173-129133259843_thumb.jpg

post-3173-129133270064_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of grafted sections pumping out pups of the Changling clone.

and I've still got her legs growing long and thin like a princess.

post-3173-129133282838_thumb.jpg

post-3173-129133289205_thumb.jpg

It would be good to get a cut somewhere in the ground so she'll grow big and strong. I'm limited to pots with ultra well draining mix up here due to the annual monsoon deluge.