The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Coca Leaf

A friend contacted me, who lives in the Andes, everybody there chews Coca leaf and most of the tourists drink Coca tea, because it is the best remedy against alltitude sickness.

He forwarded the question to me to ask you about appropiate doses and different methodes of indigestion of coca leaf.

*Note*- The use of Coca leafs is legal in many South American nations, my friend is not breaking the law by ingesting Coca.

Edited by planthelper

Are you trying to really piss us all off and make us really jealous... :wink:

I wish I had any experience chewing, brewing or any other kinda preparations using the wonderful coca leaf.

H.

2 heaped teaspoons of dried leaf in one cup of freshly boiled water.

I wouldn't chew dried leaves. If they were fresh however..... :wub:

But thats just me. I don't like chewing dried anything. Would probably give a similar effect though. Just not as delicious.

in some towns in europe one can buy coca tea bags, which make a realy nice cup of herbal tea, which is an excellent appetite suppressant.

i think coca leaf ought to be legalized all over the world, as it's action poses no great risks of danger or addiction.

if one has to hike from a to b it makes perfect sence to rather carry some coca leaves and bica (bicarbonated soda) than heavy provisions and water.

i dont think you would not know who to use coca if you lived in the andes, but anyway, most common way is to chew it mixed with a base made from ashes and other ingredients that ball can be bought at the markets where your friend would find coca, why he needs to ask you and not the locals beats me. i forget the name of the ball now Llipita ?? something like that someone may be able to correct me here on that.

i honestly dont think you could not go to cuzco or any other place in the andes and not chew coca or learn how to.

there are other ways ot ingest coca,

snuff with tobacco and ashes.

tea as has been said, also a commom drink in the andes.

doses.... as much as you can handle :) if you got a bag of coca you put in some leaves you give them a chew and suck, then you might think ohh i need some more you put in some more with some of the ball i was talking about. man its a no brainer.

hope your friend enjoys his time living in the andes, does he speak spanish i guess that would help with questions like this he would of got an answer by now if he had just asked someone in the town where he is. where abouts is he? in cuzco? or somewhere else up there. i would love to visit one day.

My friend said after using the coca... "It's freaking awesome"

And well ... it is :)

My friend said after using the coca... "It's freaking awesome"

And well ... it is :)

Do you know if he decided to have tea, or chewed the dried leaves?

to chew is way more "enjoyable"...

Chewing a few dried leaves... I don't think I would call that enjoyable, but I can figure that perhaps it depends on the quantity chewed. I've only had dried leaves once in a ceremony and to be honest, I was more impressed with the ceremony and the rose water than the chewing of the leaves, course... not many were handed out.

wouldn't it be better to be chewing the fresh leaf as opposed to dried....?

H.

i honestly don't know for the fresh leaves, but when i was in Peru i found dried leaves very tasty ! In fact, you don't chew, you let the mass of leaves imbibate slowly in saliva and let the taste and actives invade your mouth, so the dryness is not an issue at all. It is really delicious but i admit being an avid green tea drinker so i already like those kind of green leaves flavour.

He chewed them, he likes it so much he hasn't even considered making a tea yet...

God this is better than coffee!!! I want a living plant!

Edited by Teotz'

Mauve, it would be more correct to say, "I or we didn't chew" rather than, "You don't chew".... Kind of like pejuta. You can chew a dried button, roll the powder up into a ball with some water or saliva, make a sun tea, dry the button first or use fresh.... there are many ways to prepare sacraments and one way is not more right than another. Kind of like saying, You don't make scrambled eggs.... you poach them. This is your preference perhaps and another's preference is to have them sunny side up.

He chewed them, he likes it so much he hasn't even considered making a tea yet...

Teotz you should try Yerba Mate. It's delicious (with honey), and it's more stimulating than coffee (for myself anyway) without the jitteryness. Also legal while coca leaf is not.

Inyan, i understand what you mean ! I just wanted to say that in Peru it is the custom to keep the leaves in the mouth without chewing. In fact this is like a quid, the actives are extrated via the mucosa, if one really chew the leaves it will go in the stomach in two or three gulps and Coca is less active this way (but it is still good for diahrea and altitude sickness).

Oh come on...where do you live...how much is charlie over there...how easy is it to get...your asking us how to chew leaves..YOU want a live plant..how easy is it for you to get seed...damn it man how frustrating.

H.

oh and.... :lol:

It's not too hard for me to get Novogranatense seed but Coca is a little harder... I feel bad for the people in Oz.