The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yawning Man

Looking for Work

Hi everyone

Stealing Divinersages idea here, but I'm currently looking for work and i thought this was a good idea. I'm really interested in working in Horticulture and Parks and Gardens. I have a Cert 2 in Horticulture and my Chemical users permit and a years experience working in Parks and Gardens. I might not have a lot of qualifications but I'm a keen learner and a hard worker. I really am a visual learner, so within a week or so of starting a new job I'm confident in my ability to carry out whatever needs doing.

I really am desperate so am open to anything anybody might have in mind, and I'm also happy to move for work (been in Vic most of my life, wouldn't mind a change). Hope you guys can help.

Cheers

Might be a tidge out of you qualification range...but i recommend you throw on a dress and go hook on the highway.

Peace

NOTE: Serious replies only!!!

*Punches Mindexpansion*

cheers

Edit: That's in my qualification range.

Edited by peaceful_son

if it simply a job u need phone local tree surgery/lopping companies they always need labourers it hardy out doors and healthy as long as u wear ear plugs, the pay is ussually ok and maybe cash in hand. good luck

cheers marsha

Check job search engines, i saw a few landscaping related jobs on there just the other day. It's not something I'm qualified for at all so don't worry about fighting with me for the positions :P I just happened to be killing time, sussing out what kind of opportunities existed. They may have been in the Geelong area so pop that in the search fields.

Peace.

PS- I'm looking to move in that direction if anyone wants to rent a room/house out this year.

yeah, I'm out of work at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything going in the ballarat area and it's probabaly going to get a lot worse with this recession.

So for the last 6 months every ones in while I've just been hooking my campavan up to the car heading up to the swan hill or murray bridge regions and pick some citrus. It's extremly hard work just to make minium wage. But they have always givin me a powered camping ground for free with facilities. You can usually start and finish when ever you want and you can pack up and piss off whenever you had enough. But the best part I always come home with a awesome tan and pumped up arms, although it's not something you'd want to do fulltime, more of a quick fix thing.

The stone fruit season starts in cobram around 20th jan. Never picked stone fruit but I've heard you can do a lot better than picking citrus so I'm gonna head up there soon and check it out. Really loving the life style of just being able to get up and go live in a new area for a month or so.

Anyway you probabaly don't want to go fruit picking but thought I'd put the idea out there, it is a fun experience, if you don't mind working like a dog for shit, LOL.

if you don't mind working like a dog for shit

Maybe I misunderstood, but I always thought those fruit picking type jobs paid rather well?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I always thought those fruit picking type jobs paid rather well?

Yeah, well I heard you can do a lot better with the stone fruit, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

It also really depends on how good the crop is. In swan hill they had a hopeless crop of oranges and you could only pull in 3-4 boxes (that's a hard 8 hours work). In Murray bridge you could pull in 4-5 in a 8 hour day @ $25 a box. Grape fruit fills the boxes a lot easier I could pull more like 6-8 but they only paid $19 a box.

The thing is if you could go hard from light till dark 7 days a week then you could pull in some decent money, but it really is a hard job which sometimes gets unbearable in the heat of the afternoon.

No money in picking oranges.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There are actually quite a few hort jobs going around the joint. A good website is jobsearch.gov.au although i recommend looking at a number of different sites as some will advertise jobs others don't.

Things are looking up at the moment but i'm still keeping my options open.

cheers

picking is pretty shit, fast pickers can earn a decent pay but i don't know how they go so fast. was seek.com.au mentioned? this is what i put in the keyword field, you should do something almost exactly like this

horticulture OR horticulturist OR horticulturalist OR horticultural OR gardener OR gardens OR gardening

then if you have no luck try searching other words like landscape. at the moment theres a load of these jobs in brisbane (always is in summer, i guess), but i haven't landed one yet.

Thanks thunder!

Wish me luck guys, i have an interview for an apprenticeship at the Melb Zoo tomorrow! :puke: A little bit nervous to say the least.

Shit pay though.

cheers

there's an option on mycareer and seek to have new listings with your specified keywords e-mailed to you every day. pretty useful cos it saves you the trouble of trawling for jobs.

REGEN!

Thanks for the tip Twix. Happy birthday e!

What's regen?

cheers