The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Ariocarpus

I am just wondering what is the best soil mixture for Ariocarpus sp.? Any advise will be appericated.

Got some adive of a friend! Ariocarpus compost must be free of any organic material. I use three parts river sand, one part cactus soil and a little dolomite. make sure the sand is COARSE, not fine.

Your right it should be free of organic material....So why add "cactus soil" ? Surely it contains organic matter ???

I use 1 part cactus mix 1 part course sand, 1 part scoria, add some trace elements,and some limestone.

Thanks Jack

Your right it should be free of organic material....So why add "cactus soil" ? Surely it contains organic matter ???

I thought all soil contains some organic matter, I have used cacti and succelent mix a bit of river sand and some dolimite and some osmacote I will see how they go.

nothing but rock and fertilizer in my mixes. too wet here. if you are in a wet climate, dont fuck around with commercial crap, mix your own. i use rock, sand and pumice with a bit of added home made fertilizer (cooked poo)...anything else rots/sucks.

I thought all soil contains some organic matter, I have used cacti and succelent mix a bit of river sand and some dolimite and some osmacote I will see how they go.

Sorry I will clarify. I use a mix completely organic free much like Kada's but without the sand. Don't use a commercial mix for Ariocarpus they won't make it through winter. As a general rule, if leafy plants will grow in the soil ariocarpus won't and vice versa.

I use Scoria 1-5mm, crushed granite (.5 - 1mm), Pumice, Perlite, Charcoal (small amount), Ferts. Nothing organic.

I was reading how in the world of Bonsai different NPK percentage fertilizers are used at different stages throughout the growing season.

Thanks for the advice, I have mine in cacti mix with course river sand, a bit of scoria and tiny bit of dolimite. I will see how they go. They are in a place where they will not get wet (on a covered decking) but I will be keeping a close eye on them as they are my first ario's. I will post some pics of the one that looks monstrose soon.

Your own poo!?

is that the impression i give off on these forums? i shit in a pot and cook my dump for my plants? :huh:

worm poo and chicken poo :slap:

:lol: LOL!!! Human poo for cactus I am sure it happens somewhere in the world my cacti just get a bit of my urine! :bootyshake:

It happens or happened to Texas,i remember viewing on TV the nightsoil express which took by rail the New Yorkers biological waste all the way south for disposal on and in the deserts of Texas.

The Peyote of Star County in a vision ordered up a predigested pastrami on rye.

In the natual setting they must get several kinds of fertilizer,leaves from mesquite and occotilo,rains bringing in minerals and when the desert blooms and bears fruit they get a sudden increase in guano perhaps?