The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Storing seed

Just wondering what the best method(s) are for storing seeds. I've been acquiring lots of different plant seeds but haven't had the time to get them all planted. Until I do, would it be best to put them in the fridge, freezer or room temperature? Long term...short term...?

Depends on the type of seed, so I'll just speak of the most common requirements.

Short term- make sure seeds are dried, put in little ziplock bags or thuroughly cleaned little bottles, store someplace cool and dark away from chemicals (including paint) and big temperature fluctuations.

Long term- make sure seeds are dried, put in little ziplock bags or thuroughly cleaned little bottles, put those in jars containing a little dry rice in the bottom, put those in the refirgerator. Avoid taking them out too often- the temperature fluctuations are the seed killers. When you do take them out let the whole unit come upto room temp before opening (very important).

Thats how I do it anyway.

Can seeds be dried too much? - i.e. is storing with a dessicant to prevent fungus OK, or will it reduce viability somehow?

"Can seeds be dried too much?"

Yes, the seeds do need a tiny bit of water for them to be dormant rather than dead- thats why I said the storage jar should have dry rice, its a real gentle desiccant. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate is probably the strongest desiccant I would use, things like calcium sulfate would just be too strong. Many people I know successfully use silica gell for pepper seeds.

hello.

I would like to know the experiences from people storing seeds.

for example.

I have been able to germinated peganum harmala seeds stored during 5 year in a dark and dry place.

A. maidenii 3 years.

saw some original 'Haze' G. anga seed germ after 10 years in a basement(in a box of books).........

No wonder its considered a weed :)

I think they have sucessfully grown seeds found in Egyptian tombs.

Yup, and couple-thousand year old lotus seeds too. Plants are some determined little critters.