The Corroboree
Micromegas

One River

Howdy Folks, many of you will have already heard of (or read) this book, but for those who haven't I HIGHLY recommend it. Tracking the adventures of Richard Evans Schultes as he enthnobotanises his way through the Americas, it is laden with great information about plant use by indigenous cultures as well as describing much of the history of South America, this book has been somewhat of a revelation for me: to see how this man pushed the frontiers of botanical knowledge is truly inspiring, and simply to get an understanding of the rigors involved in early plant discovery and exploration of which we are the beneficiaries today. Linked in with Schultes own biography, it also traces the expeditions of two of his graduate students Tim Plowman and Wade Davis himself as they attempt to unravel the mystery of coca usage in the Andes. I'm about 250 pages through the 500 page tome and can hardly put it down. A must read (I think) for anyone interested in ethnobotany and South American history.

Micro

Edited by Micromegas

Great book... read it last year. Newcastle uni had some awesome ethno books so made good use of em whilst I was there.

Thought it was hilarious that there was an encounter with William Burroughs in South America (I just read Naked Lunch a few weeks ago) and that he was described as somebody who basically made it his lifes mission to take every single mind altering substance on the face of the earth.

Anybody read and recommened the Serpent and the Rainbow??? Been meaning to check it out for ages - it sounds fascinating.

Anybody read and recommened the Serpent and the Rainbow???

Yeah i have. good book and well worth reading.

Not quite as punchy as One River. but pretty good nonetheless.

Written in his younger days, so id say style lacking a bit, but the info he presents is fascinating.

go read it, youll enjoy it.

Anone see the film???

Anyone else read any of his other books?

keen to know as i have enjoyed This and One River so far.

Cheers, Obtuse.

--------------------

Oh yeah, One River. Fantastic book. sort of four stories in one. make sure you put aside a few days, cause you wont want to put it down.

makes you want to give up your day job and go trecking around the jungle discovering new plants. I loved every page.

And as indigo sunrise pointed out lots of lovely little anecdotes.

Cheers.

Edited by obtuse

I read One River earlier this year.

Its amazing what the academics get up to in the name of botanical research.

Inspirational stuff. Made me feel like I'd been born in the wrong era.

Anyone else read any of his other books?

keen to know as i have enjoyed This and One River so far.

Light at the Edge of the World: A Journey Through the Realm of Vanishing Cultures

'tis awesome. :wink: