The Corroboree
dream_is_destiny

Nicotine patches and vivid dreams

Can anyone explain the interaction between the consistently high level of nicotine being delivered via the patches and my brain, to help me understand why every time I decide to quit smoking (again :rolleyes:) my dreams are phenomenal.

I want to know..

What are the patches doing to my brain chemistry in my sleep?

Why can I wake up from a lucid dream on patches for five or so minutes then return to sleep in the same lucid place, not losing any info of the appearance or context of the dream?

It appears the ability to retain a linear storyline is increased as is the ability to hold an intelligent conversation for elongated periods of time.

There is definitely an empowerment feeling in the dreams being aware that I'm capable of anything, the result of this is intense euphoria that carries throughout the day (Nicotine high?) lol.

I've browsed the net in the past looking for answers to my questions, including the corroboree but I can't seem to find why this happens, only that it does.

Thanks.

PS How you doing guys? My name is Aaron. I've been stalking :wink: the forums for half a year and have a pretty good idea of what you're all about. As many of you must relate, this place is addictive and very insightful, just wanna say thanks for the inspiration and understanding you people and this place have given me since I found myself on this pathway.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

Yeah, same story here, after a few days though I found I really needed a proper sleep.. It really made me appreciate the power of nicotine, even though during the day the effects of cigarettes become barely noticable.

So it has the power to create a believable dream world, the world it creates in waking is so close to the one without nicotine you barely notice? My experience anyway.

well i dont know about patches never tried them they seem pretty expensive and since i dont have a problem the only reason i would be taking the patches was to get the nicotine hehehe

but i do know that tobacco in large amounts before sleep will effect your dreams i often do this with tobacco to give me tobacco dreams, tobacco dreams are great.

sorry cant be of much more assistance

welcome

I haven't used nicotine in years, but I'd be interested in trying this. Do you think the lower strength patches would produce a similar effect in someone without the high tolerance? I wouldn't want to poison myself with the stronger ones.

nicotine binds to the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which is involved in memory formation.

i think all that's happening is that you're remembering your dreams more, and the apparent increase in lucidity is either a consequence of increased vividness of the dream, or occurs with the same frequency as it does without patches ... i.e. you're lucid the same amount as always, but now you're remembering that you were lucid when you wake up ... if that makes sense?

how come lucid dreams only happen to smokers when using patches? and not non-smokers?

i have tried the patches myself being a non smoker, i had very light sleep, nausea and head spins, just to see if it indeed induce lucid dreaming, but did not happen. my gf used them being a smoker and only had those intense lucid dreams when on quit smoking products.

so do the patches deliver a good nicotine dose? might have to give them a burl one day

how come lucid dreams only happen to smokers when using patches? and not non-smokers?

Is this a generalisation from your own experience, or is there more anecdotal evidence of this? I'd love to hear from more non-smokers as to whether they have had it work or not.

Perhaps you had too high a dose for a non-smoker. What strength patches did you use? Also, did you only try it the one time?

I certainly don't want to try this if it is pointless, but I am certainly intrigued.

Edited by ballzac

Is this a generalisation from your own experience, or is there more anecdotal evidence of this? I'd love to hear from more non-smokers as to whether they have had it work or not.

Perhaps you had too high a dose for a non-smoker. What strength patches did you use? Also, did you only try it the one time?

yeah more of a generalisation, i had a couple mates try it too same thing happened to them too, have tried a couple times myself, also tried a zyban type pill, which did the same thing but made me feel more spaced out. don't know what strength patch i used.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Hi Aaron,

Yeah, same story here, after a few days though I found I really needed a proper sleep..

I've experienced the feeling of no 'rest' for days in the past, I wouldn't change it for the world though haha

So it has the power to create a believable dream world, the world it creates in waking is so close to the one without nicotine you barely notice? My experience anyway.

The world I was at last night was more visually extravagant than this one, the detail was sharp and the scenery was elaborate.

well i dont know about patches never tried them they seem pretty expensive

They're cheap in comparison to a pack a day at over $10 a pack!

When you say you have tobacco dreams, are you talking about un-soaked tobacco?

I haven't used nicotine in years, but I'd be interested in trying this. Do you think the lower strength patches would produce a similar effect in someone without the high tolerance? I wouldn't want to poison myself with the stronger ones.

I do think lower strength patches or smaller cut larger patches to infrequent nicotine users would produce similar effects, if one were to do it though I'd advise start very small to test your resistance. These patches can make pack a day smokers sick so keep that in mind.

nicotine binds to the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which is involved in memory formation.

i think all that's happening is that you're remembering your dreams more, and the apparent increase in lucidity is either a consequence of increased vividness of the dream, or occurs with the same frequency as it does without patches ... i.e. you're lucid the same amount as always, but now you're remembering that you were lucid when you wake up ... if that makes sense?

Regarding the nicotinic acetycholine, I read about it this morning on wiki and considered it..

I understand what you're saying, though my dreams are quite often vivid anyway, I'm given the privilege of lucidity when I'm on the patches.

hmm.. it's making me think..

Are you suggesting that the attention to detail is probably always there but due to the activity of the nicotinic acetycholine receptor one has the capacity to retain more than just the basics of the dream one usually wouldn't remember?

Thanks

I know smokers that don't get dreams at all from them & I know smokers that have nightmares even if they take them off before bed. I don't know any non smoker that have ever tried the patches for dreaming, except my house mate that is gonna have a go with a much smaller square of patch tonight.

I'll report back!

Thanks for the replies.

Aaron :)

I'll report back!

Looking forward to it :)

so do the patches deliver a good nicotine dose? might have to give them a burl one day

In regard to quitting or as a nicotine high?

As an intense smoker, they kill the craving and it's up to me to kick the habit. They work really well, the reason for relapse is my own lack of commitment long term.

If you're talking about having a nicotine high, yes when I'm on the patches I'm in tune to the fact they're effecting me somewhat, sometimes much more than others and this can change hour to hour. If I have a good attitude prior to applying them they compliment my day immensely. I've noticed if I'm in a negative mood I'm more prone to the negativity intensifying.

Aaron.

They work really well, the reason for relapse is my own lack of commitment long term.

Perhaps the reason for relapse is that you're always still addicted to nicotine. I've seen a lot of people try patches or gum and claim they work, but everyone I know who has quite for good (or at least for long periods of time) went cold turkey. I think patches are a great way to avoid the negative health effects of smoke inhalation, but I'm skeptical of their effectiveness as aids to quitting permanently.