The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

A. Nervosa Hawaiian Baby Woodrose

What's the secret on getting this plant going from seed? I haven't had any luck at all... maybe the seed isn't good, but I was told it was.

Also, how many seeds should be used as a test dose and how is it best used? Can it be used by someone taking Wellbutrin to quit smoking/depression?

Any/all info is appreciated.

this plant may need both nicking and soaking in very warm water.

t s t .

It depends on the quality of the seeds. From the seeds i planted this year 10 of 10 germinated (without nicking and soaking). On the other hand i tried to plant argyreia seeds a couple of years ago and not even one seed germinated.

However, nicking and soaking may help.

And another tip: Use big pots. The more space the roots will have, the faster and bigger it will get. The plant i potted into the biggest pot is now (after ~4 Month) ~2m big with leafs as big as dishes . :) Or, even better, plant it outside if the wheather in your region is right.

Oh, and one note to the dose, start low with one seed, then gradually increase the dose. Once i had a very intense and unfortunately bad trip on as little as 4 seeds.

I did nick the seed and then soaked it overnight. Still... not one seed germinated. I guess the seeds I got are duds... Does anyone have any good seed they can sell or trade?

I don't usually advertise our products, but you won't get them much fresher and viable than from SAB. We still get 90% germination rate even though this is the end of the season (new stock coming in a few weeks).

[ 03. July 2003, 18:02: Message edited by: planthelper ]

psilo,

I was curious about the "bad" trip you had and what the details were, if you can share...? I'm ready to try some seeds but don't need it so badly that I would set myself up for a lousy experience. Anyone have any good sessions to share?

I have had fairly good results by nicking and soaking. I wait now until the seeds are swelled really large before putting them on a wet paper towel in a plastic baggie to sprout. If they aren't swelled enough they just don't sprout or take a long time. I've been experimenting with oxygenating the water with a bubbler so the seeds don't drown.

The real secret is how to get the plants to set seed. Some people do it with no problem but I tried it years ago and finally gave up in disgust. I'm growing it again now and wonder what the secret is?

Stoney

Well, my bad experience on woodrose:

First of all, i had wonderfull experiences on woodrose before and after this trip, i really like this entheogen as it is something special IMHO.

As this happened i still lived with my parents in one house. I was sitting in my room in the late evening and decided to try the new batch of woodrose seeds i received this day. Before i tried doses up to 12 seeds with nice results, but the seeds were of bad quality so this 12 seeds were equivalent to ~6 seeds of good quality.

So i took 4 seeds, just threashold dose i thought, to test this batch. After 2 hours i was in a nice state and thought, wow, these are good quality seeds. But the peak was not reached. The trip was getting harder the next two hours and i became very paranoid that my parents came in my room asking me why i am still awake and seeing me in this state. That was the one part of the bad trip: Paranoia. However, this is a common problem of me on psychedelics and bad trips. I even always become paranoid of weed, it is true.

Then a (afterwards) very interesting thing happened. It was like there were bubbling all my suppressed thoughts, fears and feelings out of my brain and i was forced to stand them. That was too much for to handle at that stage, i was not prepared for such a psychological experience and i became very frightened that i may stay in this stage forever if i am not able to solve my problems and to stand my fears. I tried to read the clock to determine the time that passed since i took the seeds, but it was impossible. I saw the pointers of the clock, but i was not able to determine the time it was showing. I became even more frightened.

After about 10h i was at base level again, and fortunately my parents noticed nothing from all that.

Well, maybe that sounds a bit unspectacular in contrast to other bad trip reports, but trust me, it was really hard. It was not really the psychedelic experience that was the problem, it was my paranoia and this dawn psychological aspect, the fear i never come back until all my problems are solved.

I once had another bad trip on mushrooms and that one was totally different. I think woodrose may be a good tool to explore the hidden parts of your psyche, but you need to be prepared for that.

And, as always: set and setting is the key.

Wow, that's bad luck I guess. I've never had a bad trip on anything. Just the occasional really strong one that stands out from the rest.

No, that is not bad luck, that are the typical reasons for bad trips:

a) Bad set.

First rule: Do not trip when you have some problems! Apparently i had some suppressed fears and thoughts. It is always a bad idea to trip if you have problems.

B) Bad setting.

It was really the baddest setting i could choose. My room next to my parents. That calls for problems.

c) Unexpected intensity.

If the experience becomes a lot stronger than you expected, you will become anxious. Especially if the set and setting is not 100% ok.

Hi,

I dreamt the other night that a 70kg gnome tried two seeds of what was rumoured to be the new SAB stock and was overcome for at least 6 hours by surprisingly vivid phosphine imagery (complete with snail shell spirals). Also, in waking hours i saw a vine grown from a cutting of the Fractal 1 strain that was planted in a garden in late 2001 and it had set seed (that's just over 1.5 years).

I've just got mine sprouted in coarse sand , in about a week. I put Moss at the bottom and top layered it with sand.

I have found sand to be the best growing method.

daevorn

It's easy getting them to flower. The hard part is getting them to set seed. They do like a warm climate but there is something more to it.

Stoney

...er- how exactly are gnomes taking them?

he may have his seeds confused, but gnomey got 10 from sab awhile ago.

they're the furry ones? he heard to scrape the fur off & soak in water for 6 days or something- so he scraped 'em, blended them up in water & left them for 24 hrs, he then strained the 'milk' & split it 60-40 w/his lady gnome & they got nothing.

Gnomes have been simply scraping non-woody stuff off the outside of the darkish brown woody seed coat and chewing thoroughly, leaving paste under tongue for 5-10 min and then swallowing (spitting results in next to no effects). Drinking some nice strong ginger tea or taking ginger tablets prior to this process usually eliminates nausea though nausea free trips have been experienced without this.

The lack of effects from the water extract are probably the result of degradation of the LSA during the 24 h soaking period. If you properly powder the seeds and use only a shotty of room temp distilled water for each 10 seeds, half an hour with swirling is probably more than sufficient to extract the goodies. Once extracted into water, the activity of the extract rapidly declines over the space of minutes to hours depending on the temperature, pH and other solutes in the water. The failproof method however is the chew, suck, swallow method. If that method fails to produce effects on four seeds, you know you are either very tolerant/insensitive or the seeds are a crap strain or past their use-by date.

WARNING: GNOMES ARE ADVISED TO ABSTAIN FROM ALCOHOL FOR A GOOD DAY OR TWO BEFOREHAND OR RISK HORRIFIC NAUSEA.

Rest assured, any seed purchased from SAB since at least August last year is top quality.

Good luck and tell those gnomes they are lucky to live in gnomeland and not oz.

The vine found in fruit recently was in north queensland where the summers are usually hot and wet and winters warmish and dry.

[ 22. July 2003, 16:09: Message edited by: Fractalhead ]

My lady munched 5 the other night and got NOTHING, not even nausuas!

OK. Three questions: How old are the seeds? Have you kept them cool, dry and in the dark? Where were they purchased from?

The seeds were from me :(

There were keptr in a cool dark place,... however, they might have been exposed to (the heat of) the sun for a little too long while the seed huls were already dark brown.

I suspect that that is the reason they are inactive.

I have kept a 3 woodrose seeds for more then two years and they still germinated perfectly after that period of time....

so i am a little puzzled, why they did not germinate.

the seeds were between 2 and 6 months old at the most. ( they were from 2 seperate seeding periods stored togher )

[ 24. July 2003, 10:51: Message edited by: brian ]

They do seem to have a requirement for fairly high soil temperatures to germinate. Also, I've given up on seeds that have sat there for three months without germinating only to be surprised down the track by little HBWR seedlings popping up unexpected. It pays to dig up and examine the seed if they don't come up within a month or so. If they're not rotten, they'll probably come up sooner or later when the temp is right or whatever. This plant is definitely worth persisting with. If your setting is comfortable and stress-free, you will be glad you did

Whats the coldest temp that these will tolerate?

Anyone have plants survive the melbourne winter?

Yes, i have them growing from seed in the melbourne winter.

It's taken a week to grow to 2 inches.

All it needs is love, :0)

daevorn

I did eventually dig out the potted seeds... they were rotted. Looks like a bad batch of seeds... but I'm sure it was a mistake as I've had no other problems with this seller.