The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
volcanicplug

growing trichocereus sp. outside in the ground

Hey people, I am thinking of planting my Trichocereus collection (which are currently all in pots) out into the ground. I just have a few questions....... would I be right in thinking that most san pedro species would prefer being in the ground...... show faster growth rates from being able to establish a much larger and more extensive root system? Is there an optimal size worth waiting for before planting out these plants? would a site with full sun be preferable over a site with only a few hours of direct sun a day? and lastly the soil where I live (Tweed Valley) is fairly acidic and heavy ( a large portion of it is a thick yellow clay) what essentials should I look at adding to it? Ive read that these cactus prefer a slighly alkaline soil....does anyone recommend adding dolomite lime to raise the soil pH or something else? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or experiences relating to any of these questions :)

Edited by volcanicplug

would I be right in thinking that most san pedro species would prefer being in the ground...... show faster growth rates from being able to establish a much larger and more extensive root system?

yes, in the right climate.

Is there an optimal size worth waiting for before planting out these plants?

I'd say a root bound 12inch cutting in spring (unless it's hot all year where you are)

would a site with full sun be preferable over a site with only a few hours of direct sun a day?

Full direct sun, IMO.

and lastly the soil where I live (Tweed Valley) is fairly acidic and heavy ( a large portion of it is a thick yellow clay) what essentials should I look at adding to it?

I'd def. go with raised beds.

I grow all mine in just plain old dirt from the vegi garden. Be caefull as a full west sun can cause sun burn. As for growing in raised beds it is only needed to be done if drainage is a problem. But yes put them in the ground they love being able to stretch out. :)

Thanks heaps for the replies, the spot I was thinking of planting them is actually on a sloping hillside (drainage shouldn't be to much of a problem) which faces north-west...im thinking of building the soil up with some organic matter anyway (at each individual plant hole) and planting some entheogenic shade trees (maybe some brugs) on the western side of the patch for a bit of afternoon sun protection :)

Edited by volcanicplug

That sounds great.

I'd still put some logs and what not on the down side of the slope to make a bed of sorts.

Just hammer in a few vertical sticks and then place logs behind these horizantally, then fill with soil, remember cacti like REALLY good drainage, use lots of perlite and pumice, espeically in heavy clay.

The trees sound like a good idea, tho brugmansia doesn't really like full sun.

Cool...Ive got plenty of logs lying around! Teotz' would it be be beneficial for me to mix some horse manure as well as perlite and pumice into the bed soil before I plant? ... or only add it later on around the base of the plants as fertiliser once they are established in the soil?

Hmm... Horse maure is kinda like mud and probably won't promote good drainage, I'd let it degrade a little big before adding it. I would not apply it directly at the base of the plants as it will be too concertrated (IMO) maybe somebody esle has tryed this and it works, I donno.

I think you could mix it in, if you used LOTS of perlite and pumice, which I suggest anyway.

So what are you thinkin' as far as shape ethnobotanicals go?

Thanks Teotz', ill probably try adding small amounts of dried highly degraded horse manure to the mix you suggested and see how it goes. For shade im thinking of planting some Acacia maidenii and obtusifolia which I sourced from seed locally (thus ideal for my conditions).

Edited by volcanicplug

No prob'...

That's a good idea with the native Acacias!

Hey, volcanicplug, is there any progress?

this is what I want to do, when the weather is better... I have cleaned up a spot where wild low vegetation and doing the plannings... 3 types of trichs are going there as well as various other clustering, columnar, spherical cacti sp.

What would recommended distances be between oneother? How wide/deep do tricho roots grow ? [pc pachanoi, kk339 pachanoi, bridge and maybe wendermani and terscheckii later....] other cacti include cleistocactus, mammilaria, gymnocalicium[some of these need less sun, i think], echinopsis, a stretsonia, my biggest myrtillocactus , agaves, aloes , euphorbias, etc...

Those raised garden beds for the cactus are a great idea..turn that soil over and over....PD is the king of this...growing them outside in the ground..apparently there is lots of charcoal and ash scattered thru the soil in those beds...go to Bunnings and get some garden charcoal 5 bucks a bag and turn that shit all through the soil to sweeten it up baby. I've got 12 cactus in the ground and they have shot up like nobodies business the last few months the tips are bright green and very healthy. Mine get full sun most of the day but get some relief from my neighbours banana trees in the afternoon as the leaves hang over my fence and protect them somewhat. Cactus growing is fuckin way cool...

enjoy.

H.

I too need ideas, what could I put in the soil those months that I am not planting anything yet... What about ash, ready mixes/composts?

My cactus spot is in a sloppy position too... Will be putting photos too

its real wet here and i found to avoid rot i keep them in pots and place the pot a couple inches into the ground. never rotted since. the roots will still grow through the bottom and have huge systems, but in the pot the base of the cactus can stay dry (using a well drained mix). not sure if its worth while, but it works WONDERS here!

easier to move down the road as well.

Well kada, this certianly would not apply here, as it's a pretty dry climate... I plan to plant as soon as the winter is leaving us behind, so as the plants have time to get strong, to hopefully survive the first winter, next year....

i think we might have very similar min-max temps, but quite opposite humidity terms... you also might have bigger warm period than me... thus bigger growth per year.... maybe... some thoughts anyway...

Edited by mutant

For what its worth, I used to live in Florida several years back and grew many Trichocereus in the ground as well as in pots and rain as it did, they were fine. Variegated Trichocereus however should be grafted onto a non-variegated stock if you plant them in the ground as they will be more prone to rot. Practice and learn. Never put all of your eggs in one basket though if you have some novelty you can't stand to lose. Make a few cuttings and try some each way. Cacti grafting is the easiest kind of grafting their is so you can't go wrong if you do decide to plant a few in the ground. Just save some grafts or cuttings for other growing approaches as each and every environment is different.

fantastic advise, that's exactly what I have been planning to do, as well trying various stocks, from opuntias to pilocereus :)