The Corroboree

was wondering if anybody has read his books, i went out and brough a new earth and started to read it a bit but found it quite tedious, so i got a hold of the audio series of the power of now, which was also tedious but i didn't have to take the time out to read it, LOL.

and its amazing how many ways the ego takes a hold in your life so if you think you are pretty much free from ego, as i have in the past, think again.

would love to chat about the book, as i have quite a few q's and such

cheers guys

had a quick look,ended at wikipedia,turned off by references to it being an oprahs book club selection!looses any cred imho!

t s t .

had a quick look,ended at wikipedia,turned off by references to it being an oprahs book club selection!looses any cred imho!

t s t .

yeah thats what i thought too, but still doesn't meant that you don't/ can't learn from the message that is given in it.

i've read them, new earth & power of now ... ??

Edited by coin

I have some of his Audios but hadnt had the time to listen them yet! I heard his programmes are good and therefore i kept them in case i should get old. I´ll listen them then. If i find them within my jungle of unindexed DVDs :-) bye Eg

im reading 'new earth' now.

ive found it quite helpful.

earily though whilst enoying some funghi this thought kept appearing going 'eckhart tolle is teaching you to die'!!

im reading 'new earth' now.

ive found it quite helpful.

earily though whilst enoying some funghi this thought kept appearing going 'eckhart tolle is teaching you to die'!!

teaching who to die? :) the eternal never dies ... sounds like you took a low dose :wink:

does that worry you incognito? (the thought of "teaching you to die", i mean)

living is dying - two sides of the same coin...and from this perspective, we are, many billions of times per second, dissolving and re-manifesting, etc, i.e. being reborn and dying...from moment to moment, we are simply not the same person, disregarding the illusion of consistency/permanency... like the analogy of the river -- the water is always flowing, always changing, the current flows, the molecules flow along, are never fixed in place, but we still call it the "nile river", or whatever, as though it is reliable and invested with some permanency .. as though we can go back there 7 years later to see it again, or we can recommend someone else go to see the "same" beautiful river - it is some form of illusion...it is a convenient way of labeling a series of processes...but the convention of language can lull us into delusion and complacency and "ignorance" (habit of ignoring reality)

this book is presenting non-duality (advaita vedanta, in terms of vedantic philosophy) without denomination or technicality....it is also a very good way for christians, or part-time christians, or raised-as-christians/ex christians, to start to re-examine the biblical teachings and re-contextualise the heart-essence of those teachings rather than the more common crude interpretations

i would like to talk more about these books....but will wait until there is some further discussion :-)

Edited by coin

i think his books are good. for me pretty much everything he says rings true. it is obvious he is speaking from direct experience & he talks about such profound truths with such a simple clarity, it's refreshing.

the oprah connection is fucking off-putting but once i'd read his books it doesn't worry me, it's obvious these aren't your typical poxy new age books, but are actually something real which could be very helpful for many people.

i recently saw a video of him on youtube where he was talking about acid. he was saying that people kept telling him that what he was talking about was like being on acid, but he had never tried it so he gave it a go & he said that the world is always like that, but we need to remove the habit patterns & filters of our minds so we can perceive it that way etc (something i'm sure many of us here may agree with...)

i've read them, new earth & power of now ... ??

not to worry guys, i finally got it, the answer to all my questions, basically don't get caught up in drama and catch yourself out doing it often as possible. non judgement,

haha...this topic caught my attention coz to be honest, Eckhardt Tolle drives me nuts!! (well, what I've read of him anyway, which admittedly isn't that much).

My naturopath recommended I buy "The Power of Now"... funnily enough, this was the only piece of dud advice she has ever given me!

I read maybe one quarter of the book, but I found it just too painful to go any further. Most of what is said in TPON I have heard a million times before, and in far less cliched language. Whilst I actually agree with most of his ideas, they really seem so obvious and straightforward, that I can't understand why he uses such a "profound" tone. Or why everyone else (even Oprah, lolz) seems to think he's some sort of super-enlightened guru! My Mum agreed with me on this too.

Mind you, I don't usually go around author-bashing. I have much respect for many writers in the New Age/Self-Help genre (I'm a huge fan of Thomas Moore for instance). But reading Eckhardt has obviously taken it's Tolle, tee hee :P

Oh and yes, I am aware of the irony of getting all dramatic and passing judgment on an author who preaches just the opposite. But in the name of venting I had no choice :rolleyes:

hmmm...I just read that post about Tolle on acid. Well, kudos to him for at least having an open mind. He'd probably be quite an interesting person to meet then. While I'm not a fan of his writing style, it is kind of cool that his books are able to speak to those who may not have really thought so much about the topics he covers. I guess that can only be a good thing :)

I recently listened to the audio book of A New Earth. It's basically eastern mysticism, packaged in a non-religious, easy to understand box for mainstream spiritually-curious westerners. But I still found it quite useful in reminding me of the path, and think it would definitely be valuable for those who have not had much exposure to such ideas.

I recently listened to the audio book of A New Earth. It's basically eastern mysticism, packaged in a non-religious, easy to understand box for mainstream spiritually-curious westerners. But I still found it quite useful in reminding me of the path, and think it would definitely be valuable for those who have not had much exposure to such ideas.

couldn't have said it better myself :)

ahh...the divine spark of benevolent energy, you really need to read these books without judgement and if you hear those loud voices in your head writing it off, realize this is the disease of the human ego . those parts of yourself are not congruent to the path of enlightenment,blah blah blah...if the voices are not a whisper{they should be a subtle feeling or knowing} then they are of little benefit to your wellbeing, thats what is meant by stillness speaks? has anyone read stuart wildes books ?hes da man. "silent power",is a good start. i just finished reading his book "the art of redemption", man you wouldnt want to read that on acid. it tripped me out and i was straight. the last few pages brought a tear to my eye, truth mate , someones gotta tell it.

I read the power of now and thought it was a great book. I really thought that whilst I was reading it I really was on another level but soon after i always come back down to earth (unfortunately) I have been considering buying this "a new world" but please give me some opinion whether it was a good book for someone who enjoyed the power of now???

The book I've gotten most from so far would have to be The Art Of Happiness by some psycologist and The Dalai Lama and I recommend it.

i think you men "a new earth" yes personally i enjoyed it more than the power of now as it goes deeper.

i think you men "a new earth" yes personally i enjoyed it more than the power of now as it goes deeper.

Thankyou I shall purchase and read this book aswell then... If anyone knows though, which is the newest of these 2 books and does Eckhart have others?

P.S. I was three quarters through The Power of Now when I first smoked DMT and I think my state of mind at the time really contributed to the wonderful experience! hahaha

I have read The Power of Now, but not a new earth. I have a collection of favourites and I always thought that The power of Now is one of them.

I understand that feeling of not gelling with some books at times. Like I pick up something that someone has mentioned and it just doesn't gel.

I like how the power of now just reminds me of the simple truth. It also has tiny pockets of thoughts that are seperated by symbols that he recommends you read little by little and reflect. There are a few that I have marked, that are particular helpful for me. Ocassionally I will pick it up and just turn to those and subtlely remind myself.

In saying that, there are other bits that I just skim over.

I have one book called, "The World Of Perception" by Maurice Merleau-Ponty. My friend gave it to me years ago and since then I have attempted to read it about 5 times. I don't know why, but I can't finish it. The words just don't ...? Can't explain it.

I have others like Ken Wilber and I love them. Can't get enough.

If you can get hold of a book called the "whispering winds of change "by Stuart Wilde read it. its quite old now,but hes still going .. hes very different , quirky, the way he explains metaphysics is very humourous. Also he has tapes on meditating with the aid of a theta metronome sound. i used to get high and listen to them until i got scared off by experiencing my etheric body astral travelling,{youve got to have defense in the world between this one and other as there is alot of yuck.

I'm up for any new book so I'll have a look at your suggestion blowng.

youve got to have defense in the world between this one and other as there is alot of yuck

well that is a whole different topic. Yes, i agree to some degree but I think it has a huge number of factors affecting this belief. Setting, friends, your belief system and perception are some major ones that come to mind