The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

"True Blue" Peruvianus

maybe in the european spring, the ones you are talking about (I think) are the ones in the post kohres labeled pachanoi, which are actually some very nice peruvs (they live in a hollyday house and I get to see them only twice a year…). BUT I do have an other "farm" near me, a relatively new enterprise.At the moment I have only Icaros, but soon it will be populated with others, some Australian hybrids included...

post-11286-0-61900600-1355689192_thumb.j

post-11286-0-61900600-1355689192_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-61900600-1355689192_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

IME cuzcoensis can get as blue as peruvians. It's some pachanoi strains that dont blue at all. PC pachanoi occasionally has some glaucusness.

I dont really believe the blueness is a direct result of TOO MUCH SUN or something so simple.

And there's another blue Trichocereus with reddish/orange spines, which is quite peruvianus like, along T.santaensis.

It is the T.glaucus. I got a specimen grown from "KK336" seed.

these are from the same seed batch and as you can see some have red spines and others yellow.

by the way… i m looking for info and pics of the "mythical" Serra Blue and the only ones available are the ones posted again and again in several forums by Teo. Has anyone else grown this one? Im germinating some Serra Blue x S02 soon so info and pictures are desirable.

• Like 1

cheers

I hear you slice. indeed I got a cuzco with reddish/orange spines . I also got one with immense spination. Those of yours could be a hybrid, or maybe this is a normal variation. These are nice plants. Are you positive these are clean cuzcos, end of discussion?

I bought a batch of pasacanas, they too show a variation in spine colour there are blonds, there are the orange/brownish and some a bit faded brown.

I am not sure T.glaucus is particularly valid as a name, other than a phenotype. But it does have characteristically round areoles and is quite blue

• Like 1

IME cuzcoensis can get as blue as peruvians. It's some pachanoi strains that dont blue at all. PC pachanoi occasionally has some glaucusness.

I dont really believe the blueness is a direct result of TOO MUCH SUN or something so simple.

Agreed. Sometimes both cuzco and peru will turn very blue with sun and partial shade... like you say Mutant, not necessarily from too much sun.

by the way… i m looking for info and pics of the "mythical" Serra Blue and the only ones available are the ones posted again and again in several forums by Teo. Has anyone else grown this one? Im germinating some Serra Blue x S02 soon so info and pictures are desirable.

I too have only seen the pics posted by Teo. I've got some Serra Blue x SS02 seedlings (including a two headed freak!), and plan on grafting a few to peres in the next week or so. I can post some pics of grafts when they are bigger.

Mutant there has been a misunderstanding the 2 pictures I posted in this thread so far are of Icaros Peruvianus, still young.I do have some Cuscos withe MEAN spines, seeds labeled as Peruvianus :

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33276&hl=kohres&fromsearch=1

Mr. Bowser , thanks for your reply.Im curious about those seedlings.

Also have a bunch of "Los Gentiles" peruvianus seedlings... the description sounds a lot like the "Serra Blue" phenotype i.e. fat blue stems, large fuzzy areoles. Will be grafting some of these to compare with the grafts of Serra Blue x SS02, SS02 x Serra Canyon, SS01 x SS02 and SS02 x SS01 hybrid seedlings. :wink:

• Like 1

I have a few SSo2 x Serra Canyon on peres I think they will definitely have some strong blue as they get older.

DSCF2006-16_zps80ee6e64.jpg

also this seedling

T peruvianus BK08612.4 will end up with that classic thick blue look

DSCF2007-7_zpsef0573a6.jpg

But for Blue at a very juvenile age (about 10 months old) this JB open pollinated seedling is my favourite, give it a year and it will look awesome I recon

DSCF2012-4_zps67338d58.jpg

• Like 6

Wow Stillman, those seedlings are real beauties. The SS02 x Serra Canyon is my favourite me thinks! :drool2: Thanks for sharing!

yep i got it mixed up splice.

stillman the SSo2 x Serra Canyon looks bridgesii . which is normal as mother was bridgesii, I think... not gonna look too peruvian ....

yeah for sure Mutant, I was more looking at the Blue in that one not the classic peru shape. Same with the JB OP thats a Bridge hybrid of some flavour but great smokey blue colour.

"Serra canyon" is a bridgesii also -" serra blue" is a peruvianus - I grew out some Serra Canyon x SS02 a few years ago - nice bridgesii - only have 3 left and they have done very poorly due to being planted in a bad spot haven't grown in like 3 seasons - they were a good looking bunch of seedlings though I remember that..

"Serra canyon" is a bridgesii also -" serra blue" is a peruvianus - I grew out some Serra Canyon x SS02 a few years ago - nice bridgesii - only have 3 left and they have done very poorly due to being planted in a bad spot haven't grown in like 3 seasons - they were a good looking bunch of seedlings though I remember that..

'Serra Canyon' a bridgesioid with fat blue stems to 15' tall and up to 7"+ diameter

From SS catalogue

Will put like 20 totally diffrent cuts on top of my greenhouse shelves again and if all turn blue like the ones last year, you got your answer about true blue peruvianus. ;-) Of course there are certain types that are genetically designed to have a "bluer" (isnt a word, right? lol) skintone but that doesnt have to mean others cant get blue too. Just see it as having a good suntan. Afro Americans have a darker skin but white people can get pretty brown colored too if they get lots of sun, you know? Just think about those crazy sunstudio moms... :)

• Like 3

Will put like 20 totally diffrent cuts on top of my greenhouse shelves again and if all turn blue like the ones last year, you got your answer about true blue peruvianus. ;-) Of course there are certain types that are genetically designed to have a "bluer" (isnt a word, right? lol) skintone but that doesnt have to mean others cant get blue too. Just see it as having a good suntan. Afro Americans have a darker skin but white people can get pretty brown colored too if they get lots of sun, you know? Just think about those crazy sunstudio moms... :)

mmmm Blue soccer mums ha ha :wink:

Some of my blue peruvianoids.Wait, in fact all of myperuvianoids are blue!!

T.glaucus KK336

P1090134.jpg

free image hosting

P1090135.jpg

photo sharing

P1090137.jpg

free photo hosting

Next on, seed grown, came as pachanoi, after all a peruvianoid

P1090140.jpg

free photo hosting

Next on, the left which has been cut is Los gentiles, on the right again its a seed grown "pachanoi" that turned up peruvian this is rather macrogonoid

P1090138.jpg

image ru

Next on

on the left a fatty blue peruv I was sent as a clone with the best recommendations, middle is an Icaro cut, relatively freshly rooted/potted and on the right another seed grown...

P1090139.jpg

pic upload

Edited by mutant
  • Like 9