The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
worowa

King Oysters

Ok, so I'm going to attempt to put some photos up for your pleasure and inspiration.

These mushrooms went from agar (thanks to Watertrade)

Like this, but different speciespost-3605-1215126022_thumb.jpg

From there I grew them on popcorn, like thispost-3605-1215126266_thumb.jpg

Then I took a piece of colonised popcorn and placed it in a ziplock bag with shredded newspaper, moistened with coffee and milo. The bag colonised nicely, and has been used many times. The mycelium sticks to the plastic, so after using the paper spawn I just fill the bag up with more substrate-it's been living and growing in the bag for almost a year now, with about 4 changes of substrate. Here's a picpost-3605-1215126759_thumb.jpg

Next it was onto some coir mixed with left over cooked brown rice, and these are some of the resultspost-3605-1215127085_thumb.jpg

Next, after harvesting about 6 nice sized King oysters, I broke the substrate up into small pieces, and mixed them with woodchips in a trench I dug in the garden. Now I've got another half a dozen mushies popping up in the trench-I better go and take some more photos!

post-3605-1215126022_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215126266_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215126759_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215127085_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215126022_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215126266_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215126759_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215127085_thumb.jpg

Edited by worowa

Great, it worked.

BTW, i let those mushies get bigger before i picked them.

nice one Worowa, :)

I look forward to seeing them growing in your garden.

:)

Ok, so here's what they look like in the garden, look for the red match headspost-3605-1215148890_thumb.jpg

Here's a close uppost-3605-1215149199_thumb.jpg

And in a pot, a different oysterpost-3605-1215149461_thumb.jpg

There you go.

Now if a lazy, dirty fool such as me can do it, YOU can. Turn your waste into food. Go on, I dare you :shroomer:

post-3605-1215148890_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215149199_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215149461_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215148890_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215149199_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215149461_thumb.jpg

what / who is Watertrade?

Spectacular and very inspiring as you hoped! Nice work... :)

Thanks Hyphalknot, I feel you're already beshroomed.

Look at the third post Pixel-a generous member here.

Ha! Awesome hat.

Nice work Worowa...

I've got some cultures from the very same and finally have the time to play with them! Looking forward to having King Oysters like your own.

A 21st speech?

haha.! its not me! I typed 'serial killer' in google and this is one of the pics. :)

I'm much more handsome.

although... I have met both Worowa and Morg and they thought it was me. ! :lol:

Well he was holding a beer....didn't think it was you at first. I did mention I'm a fool :wink:

I don't know if anyone has noticed the picture of the take away container on the dashboard of the car growing mushrooms. :lol:

not having enough space at home isn't an excuse!

I love that pic

:)

wow wicked man! i recognise that handwriting lol...

I just finished adding my first agar wedges of Enoki and Reishi to WBS, so far they seem to be colonising nicely... (although i just did the reishi today)... I think i'll spawn them to a number of different things, myco-style bags with chips, sawdust, straw, a couple of solid hardwood blocks, pack of sugar cane mulch (?) and see what works best...

Ill take photos as well and keep updated. Still have some other edibles as well, much agar spawning left still to do..

AND ALL THANKS TO WATERTRADE YOU ROCK MAN THANKS!

P.S. WT: are the strains you have on culture a particular strain that you're trying to preseve via culture, or are they multispore variety? Not sure if i need to eventually clone a few mushrooms to keep them going or just collect a few prints..

BTW i spied a nice looking Cymbidium in one of those photos worowa, do you collect orchids? The number of people i know that are into both mushrooms and orchids, .... crazy.

Hmmm...I think that's my hand writing, but hey, fools seldom differ.

The Orchids are my wifes, and those particular ones have been flowering in our kitchen for well over a month-must be closer to two months. Amazing. If you're thinking of buying some flowers for someone special, get a living Orchid-year after year of long lived flowers.

While I'm showing off, check out these shiitakes I grew in Tassie 2 years agopost-3605-1215210754_thumb.jpg

Those travelling mushies survived for months in my car, along with a box of other experiments. We ate those mushies, and used the dried out substrate to start more. Temperatures varied from stinking hot to freezing cold. Some transfers involved no pressure cooking or glove box-and I've had more success than failures to date.

post-3605-1215210754_thumb.jpg

post-3605-1215210754_thumb.jpg

nice one worowa, especially like the shiitake log thats some good work :wub: sexy orchids too :wink:

P.S. WT: are the strains you have on culture a particular strain that you're trying to preseve via culture, or are they multispore variety? Not sure if i need to eventually clone a few mushrooms to keep them going or just collect a few prints..

Most of the cultures I have are proven performers, I have saved and maintained these because they have characteristics we all want in fungi - heavy fruiters, characteristics true to species etc. In the short term you can keep transferring agar to agar although the more you do that the quicker the strain will age and lose its good characteristics. To overcome that you can keep going back to spores.

It’s also a good idea if you want to keep a strain alive for a long time is to keep a master culture that is suitable for long term storage. Then reculture from this. So the mycelium you’re using is still very close to the original. For example, from one master culture you can make say 50 new Petri dishes of 2nd generation. If you transfer mycelium 50 times on consecutive plates you will have 50 plates each one generation older than the last.

I should note that a lot of the cultures I have are because of the good work done by lots of other people.