The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dood

sterilization question

Greetings learned Mycophiles,

I'm a newbie to this art/science and would like to ask, 'Can you use Takeaway containers for colonizing'?

Also, 'must you have a pressure cooker to sterilize jars/containers'?

Thanks in advance, respect.

Shalom.

HI :)

you could use take away containers but make sure the sides are covered so no light can get in. You might be able to pick up some black plastic containers from a hardware store or something similar.

re the pressure cooker, it makes life much easier although there are methods using the oven or microwave that seem to give reasonable results - also you could try Tyndallization. not great but it can be used. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tindalization

I think the shroomery would probably have some methods you could try :)

good luck

There aren't really many 'musts' to growing mushrooms. There are many ways to go about what you are asking, and yes, it would be possible to use takeaway containers, but not ideal. Sterilisation is a really basic process, primarily focused on temperature in this case. It is important not to have the temperature to high or too low, and a pressure cooker can help to control and maintain temperatures.

From your questions, you have obviously done a bit of reading/research. A few hours poking around this and other sites will quickly reveal all you need to know. Much better to read full explanations and experiences than to get some quick answers.

Greetings learned Mycophiles,

I'm a newbie to this art/science and would like to ask, 'Can you use Takeaway containers for colonizing'?

Also, 'must you have a pressure cooker to sterilize jars/containers'?

Thanks in advance, respect.

Shalom.

Thats what I use, the round takeaway containers that hold around 500ml the plastic holds up fine.

Steaming drinking glasses full of substrate using foil lids would have to be the best way for someone to get into the hobby. Search 'pf tek for simple minds'.

Just make sure the plastic is no.5, that's Polypropylene. They work a treat, but IME about 1 in 10 crack or warp.

Thanks all for your being generous in your thoughts, that certainly helps me out..

Thanks again everyone.

Karma+