The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MindExpansion

My First Cacti

Just got my first little Bridg seedlings. I get that now is probably not the ideal time to plant but I went ahead and did anyway, plan to keep them indoors at night and adjust them to sun as I go (They are already used to 3/4 shade.

Just thought I'd put up a little pic...mostly because I'm happy to have them and would like to show everyone else :)

I would also like some confirmation that what I did was right.

There are 3 to a pot, I put down a base of regular potting mix then a top 2/3 layer of cacti and succulent potting mix.

I tried to put one larger, one medium, and one smaller sprout in each pot, and there are three tiny ones in the smallest pot.

I just watered them in then, with some lukewarm water because the cold water out of the tap is way colder than the air.

Is 3 to a pot ok, and is my potting mix base under the cacti potting mix ok?

I thought the 3 to a pot would work at least during winter while they aren't growing as much, come spring, I thought I would then have to separate them and plant them individually, is this right?

Peace,

Mind

post-3799-1212407741_thumb.jpg

Everything looks good to me.

You haven't done anything incorrectly, IMHO.

Good job!

Edited by Teotz'

Put them under a compact fluorescent (1 inch away) until summer. Otherwise they will be forever skinny.

Zak

Forever skinny? Really...hmmm, only poblem is I don't have a decent flurescent, only a 400W HPS which i assume would kill them very quickly.

Also, they are only used to 3/4 shade, so wouldn't a fluro that close kill them too? :S

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming,

Peace

Mind

Put them under a compact fluorescent (1 inch away) until summer. Otherwise they will be forever skinny.

Zak

That's bollocks... How do they get large in nature? No one comes around with a flourescent shining it on the little ones.

LOL morg.

A magical fluoro fairy from pedro pop lane.

Edited by Passive Daemon

Cheers Morg didn't think that sounded quite right, but thanks anyway Zak.

Would love to meet this fluro fairy, maybe run around with it for a while and play silly games,

Peace,

Mind

They look good ! At least you didn't skimp on the pot size :lol: They will be lucky to out grow them pots in 2 years. No drama really just make sure you give them enough time to dry out between waterings or you may encourage rot due to large volume of soil and a wet mix. Good job.

Edited by Hellonasty

Cheers, hopefully they dont rot, now I just have to keep the kitten off them...he uprooted one last night to use the pot as a toilet,,,strange that he actually walked past his litter to do so...funny little thing, bought some pet repellent stuff as much as I wish I didn't have to so hopefully that has some more effect and hopefully he'll learn quickly enough so I can stop using the stuff.

Peace, thanks, more advice always wanted :)

Mind

Cool seedlings mate!

I sowed various Trich seeds yesterday, and put them in a diy mini-greenhouse. Here is is:

dscn2732ts9.th.jpg

I really hope I will also have some babies in 4-6 weeks from now!!

Questions: how old are they [since sowing] - what was the germination rate [% of seeds germinating] ?

Why did you say it's not a good time to sow? too hot???

========

regarding the artificial lighting thing, I guess that maybe people forget that not everyone is in the same climate, so maybe Zak could be benefited by artificial lighting in Canada while others in other milder climates could do well with no such aids.

Too hot? Lol no mate, I'm in Aus so it's starting to get cold now and I'm sorry but I can't help you with germ rates since I bought them as seedlings :)

Good luck though, and from what I've heard humidity might not be the best for them, not sure about when germing though, no doubt someone here can help you though.

Peace,

Mind

Zak is right in the sense that if they stay skinny for the extent of winter then you will end up with staggered width shaped seedlings (instead of nice clubbed then straght style), and that is how they grow in nature. But realistically by the time they are 10-20cm they will need repotting and such varying widths can simply be planted underground to extend the "stem".

They'll be fine. You could've put all of them in two pots :P

MindExpansion, when they're young and relatively short it's easy to cover them in a bit of chicken wire and fasten them loosely (but firm enough the hopefully lazy cat can't knock it off).

She sees dirt inside and assumes you brought her a nice smelling litter

MindExpansion, it is indeed a good idea to use humidity tents to make the seeds germinate ~ when they do, you're supposed to slowly aclimate them to drier situations....

and.. yeah, I wasn't thinking straight .... it's fucking hot here!

Oh ok cheers mutant I'll keep it in mind if i ever germ from seed :)

@Sina, Yeh I did think about it...but unfortunately lazy he isn't lol, its like he's on kitty speed half the time so I figured he would just maul the wire and either rip it off or knock over the pot in the process lol.

And yeh he must think its a lovely kitty litter.

I put some stuff called 'Scram' on the soil and i think he will learn quickly to associate them with the bad smell and hence avoid them so I don't have to keep using it, for the sake of the cacti and the kitty.

THey have had to live indoors today because of that wind! It is wild!

Peace,

Mind

Would an old broken fish tank work to keep kitty off them? They seem to be fairly available in peoples backyards/sheds. I used plastic tubs with lids and a fish tank last winter to keep a whole range of plants nice and warm, (at least during the day when the sun was on them).

peace groovers

Ahhh meanies lol, this is such a simple solution and would have meant me not putting that stuff all over the soil! Cant believe I didn't think of it.

Oh well it is a bit late now, they should be warm enough were they are but that would've been a better idea!

Peace,

Mind

I am doing the winter thing too.

Someone here gave a subtle tip to get a reptipad, I bought a cheap 15W one that has an adhesive side. Peeled off the paper to expose the sticky surface and just stuck it to the bottom of my grow tub.

Turned out to be really effective. Germ rates are perfect and rooting pereskiopsis and small pups also goes alot better in there. I am running 4 CFL in there, 2 warm white 22W's and 2 8W cool whites. I used the 8W because they outshine the cool white 22W's ??? The seedlings are a nice dark green. Allot cheaper than those big setups I have seen around and I can alternate my stuff for winter activity and summer activity (Electric bill friendly).

Just don't seal the tub though.